A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

I've bought the book and I've downloaded the entry form. Can anybody tell me whether I have to buy MRJ 254 as well? I can find no mention of the requirement anywhere, but I just want to make sure I don't antagonise anybody unnecessarily.

:rtfm:

attachicon.gifIMG_2757.JPG

Clearly you are not taking this seriously enough....Never mind MRJ, where's the T shirt...?

Rob.

• Like 1

Clearly you are not taking this seriously enough....Never mind MRJ, where's the T shirt...?

Rob.

Erm, I thought hair shirts were the approved fashion for this sort of thing?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Erm, I thought hair shirts were the approved fashion for this sort of thing?

Cheers,

David

I kid you not!......

post-14122-0-90058900-1492966904.jpg

• RMweb Gold

and another entry form sent off, my apologies for dragging this thread back on topic..........

Description; Imagined WW1 airship base located just off the Callander and Oban line of the Caledonian Railway.

Size:-  6’ x 1’3” (inc fiddle yard)

Display height at home:- 54”

Scale:- 2mm

Gauge:- 9.42mm

Time period:- 1917 to 1919

Build & Research record:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109742-rnas-glencruitten-relocating-lenabo/

Although imagined the airship base is intend to be carefully researched and reflect actual locations and bases around the British Isles during the Great War. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Much as I look forward to seeing a 2mm finescale model of Thurso, it does not seem like a cameo layout to me.

What possible rationale do you have for that statement ?

From the one word, 'Thurso', the model could be anything from the whole town, hills, sea and Scarpa Flow, or could just be a small part of the station....

Edit : Please see post #67 below

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Much as I look forward to seeing a 2mm finescale model of Thurso, it does not seem like a cameo layout to me.

Hi Joseph,

We will have to agree to differ on that one, however I have submitted my forms for entry and if the Judging panel feel my entry does not fit the brief I will sit this one out.

Here's my mock up...

post-3290-0-82186200-1493027918_thumb.jpg

Pete

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joseph,

We will have to agree to differ on that one, however I have submitted my forms for entry and if the Judging panel feel my entry does not fit the brief I will sit this one out.

Here's my mock up...

attachicon.gifIMG_0971.JPG

Pete

You're not including Scarpa Flow then..., pity.

• RMweb Gold

What possible rationale do you have for that statement ?

From the one word, 'Thurso', the model could be anything from the whole town, hills, sea and Scarpa Flow, or could just be a small part of the station....

I was not meaning to cause any offence! Ignoring the whole town, hills, sea and Scapa Flow, because too big to fit within the concept, a small part of the station is not going to meet  "refined running and prototypical operation" criterion (quoting MRJ 254). At some stations it might, but I don't see Thurso as one of them. In common with many branch termini, it is too generously laid out to work like that.

Obviously there is a whole debate to be had about whether the concept unfairly helps 2mm/N modellers against those who use the larger scales. It is certainly a hard ask in 7mm.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is certainly a hard ask in 7mm.

Possibly, but I'm certainly hoping to be inspired by the 7mm entries, in terms of showing me what my own eventual 7mm cameo might look like (although I'm not planning on entering a 7mm layout in the competition).

• Like 1

Possibly, but I'm certainly hoping to be inspired by the 7mm entries, in terms of showing me what my own eventual 7mm cameo might look like (although I'm not planning on entering a 7mm layout in the competition).

If I enter, mine will be narrow gauge, so only partially inspirational :). I'm not sure it will work yet, although the 3D view looks fine on a computer screen. I need a full size mockup to be really sure.

Hi Joseph,

Here's my mock up...

attachicon.gifIMG_0971.JPG

Pete

To me, This is exactly what a cameo is (or at least one interpretation ) 

A small extract to give the flavour of a larger whole.

Thurso as shown above pretty much fits that description.

• RMweb Gold

A small extract to give the flavour of a larger whole.

Spot on - all my micro layouts these days are extracts from the prototype - a slice of something prototypical but with the usual compression/compromises be it space, time or available cash.

If someone says to me they can recognise standing on said station from my model then I feel I have set out what I tried to achieve...

Edited by bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

I was not meaning to cause any offence! Ignoring the whole town, hills, sea and Scapa Flow, because too big to fit within the concept, a small part of the station is not going to meet "refined running and prototypical operation" criterion (quoting MRJ 254). At some stations it might, but I don't see Thurso as one of them. In common with many branch termini, it is too generously laid out to work like that.

Obviously there is a whole debate to be had about whether the concept unfairly helps 2mm/N modellers against those who use the larger scales. It is certainly a hard ask in 7mm.

None taken Joseph

I still think I can capture 'refined running and realistic operation' using passenger, parcels and freight stock all within 160mm depth.

Alternatively, perhaps I could instead submit my extract of Wenfordbridge which is 7mm scale, 2.2m long and only 230mm in depth ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12616-wenford-dries-7mm-1983/?p=2442878

Shall we move on?!

Pete

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that I have found a solution that works in 7mm scale (on a 6'6" x 2'6" door + cassettes). Just about feasible in standard gauge but I might revert to narrow gauge if it turns out to be too cramped.