A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

I would like clarification of the meaning of a "Cameo Layout".

Am I allowed to use other machines, such as the Cricut, or indeed the Silhouette Portrait, to make a layout?

Post 1 on this thread might provide a hint.

Rob.

If my entry gets built (or even started!), there will need to be lots of use of a Silhouette Portrait! I may fail to meet the criteria according to the book though, as my controller won't be attached to the layout by a wire! In fact, the control panel itself won't even be attached to the front, or any part, of the layout. I think it will be a contribution to developing the concept :).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No, not SOHF, I suspect that your reference to cutting machines, the Cricut, Portrait and CAMEO, was just not picked up.

The clue was in the phrase"cutting machines".

My point was to take all the questions about the rules, and make a reducio ad absurdum statement.

Iain has clearly defined his terms for a "Cameo Layout", but it may not suit everyone. If you remove the restriction on layout height, and the narrow "tank slit" view that results, then I was not alone in building what might now be termed a cameo layout 20+ years ago. (Stupidly, I took no photos, so have nothing other than memories to fall back on.)

The only question is, how "tight" are the rules? Will allowance be made for personal preferences such as layout display height? Should it be a box with an open "fourth wall" plus entrances/exits through the wings and backscene, or is it permissible to have a lower top height to the backscene, say for operation with 3-link couplings from behind the layout?

There are two simple ways of doing this:

Fit Iain's criteria exactly; or

Be inspired by his book and the concepts within, to create a believable small slice of a railway scene in model form.

Both approaches are valid in terms of building a cameo layout. The only question is if only the first criterion is permissible for entry into the Cameo Layouts competition. (Capitalisation is important in those last two sentences.)

I have no problem with either, but it strikes me that if rules start to be stretched beyond reasonable bounds (e.g. to allow a little flexibility for larger scales), then it ceases to become a competition.

So, to all who keep asking questions, I suggest that you go with trying to work within Iain's criteria as much as is humanly possible, other wise there is a risk of layouts being judged to be outside of the rules.

• RMweb Gold

SOHF?

Sorry, I took your statement as simply that and directed you accordingly. Missed the side splitting, hyena like braying aspect of it completely.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Cameo layouts for me are well-detailed micro-layouts.

That's the point.

Depending on the definition of "micro-layout", and it was presented, your definition may not coincide with Iain's. Hence, just how rigid are the rules, and my (almost rhetorical) question to discern between a competition for "cameo layouts" and a Competition for "Cameo Layouts". I think as a Competition, it needs to be about Cameo Layouts, but as inspiration for others, then if people also build cameo layouts outside of the competition, then that is an added bonus.

Also, a cameo layout may be bigger than the usual definition of a micro-layout, which seems to be, "no more than 4 square feet, usually arranged as no longer than 4' and no wider than 1'." I may be making a massive generalisation there.

Personally - and this is just my personal taste - I think it is possible for a micro layout to be a Cameo Layout, but I do not think it is reliant on the level of detail.

In case anyone wonders, I have the book - it was sent directly from the publisher as soon as he had it - and I think it an excellent tome. Lots of great and inspiring ideas. I did ponder building a Cameo Layout before the competition was announced, but realised that other than the matter of display height, and all that goes with it, I built (and exhibited) a cameo layout in the latter half of the 1990s. I have no desire to do it again, and (perhaps unfortunately) I have more space available nowadays.

But to anyone thinking about it, I say get on and have a go. I had enormous fun with the 4 turnouts, 1 engine, 9 wagons plus a brake van on mine: when borrowing more stock (engines, wagons, coaches, and best of all a steam railmotor) the fun simply increased.

You can build a Cameo Layout now, and if you prefer a lower display/operating height, alter things later.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I took your statement as simply that and directed you accordingly. Missed the side splitting, hyena like braying aspect of it completely.

Rob.

There is a funny side of it: do a short google search on on SOHF, but not at the office. The abbreviation has other meanings... ;)

• RMweb Gold

There is a funny side of it: do a short google search on on SOHF, but not at the office. The abbreviation has other meanings... ;)

I have no idea what that means but I wouldn't let any of your doubts stop you from building the layout exactly how YOU want it to be. Who is going to spend most time looking at it and enjoying it?

Who is going to spend most time looking at it and enjoying it?

I suppose that could be a bit of a moot point with a number of larger layouts only being erected/operated at exhibitions. Another plus point for the cameo style layout that can be built into your Sideboard, drinks's cabinet, airing cupboard, lavatory, oh and almost forgot,... Loco cab!

post-508-0-24768300-1504873942.jpg

P

• Like 11

Didn't you take the layout to Warley last year Porcy?

The builder/owner, who is around these parts somewhere, did  (accompanied by six others).  The layout was worked by a succession of guest operators over the weekend as said/builder owner is also an operator on the the layout that was opposite. That was running two operators down.

Also, how big is Croft Depot?

43 inches long (not including the Gainsborough Wing).

post-508-0-10215800-1504878746.jpg

A guest operator gives up his time.

P.

• Like 5

A practical question for anyone building a 2m Cameo, especially in O gauge. What I'm thinking of would be 6ft 6 in x 2ft 6in, plus a single fiddle yard.

Have you tried handling it in fairly confined spaces, complete with everything that the rules say should be built in (backscenes, proscenium arch etc.)? Although I'm not worried about handling what I've currently got in mind under fairly easy conditions, getting in and out of my railway room involves tight corners, including 180 degree turns, a staircase, and ceiling beams 7ft off the floor. I can move narrower layouts the same length, with just a built in backscene, on my own (just), but I've got serious doubts about this one. I have an urge to build it split in two lengthways, if it's practical, that can be bolted back together for transport and exhibiting!

• RMweb Gold

A practical question for anyone building a 2m Cameo, especially in O gauge. What I'm thinking of would be 6ft 6 in x 2ft 6in, plus a single fiddle yard.

Have you tried handling it in fairly confined spaces, complete with everything that the rules say should be built in (backscenes, proscenium arch etc.)? Although I'm not worried about handling what I've currently got in mind under fairly easy conditions, getting in and out of my railway room involves tight corners, including 180 degree turns, a staircase, and ceiling beams 7ft off the floor. I can move narrower layouts the same length, with just a built in backscene, on my own (just), but I've got serious doubts about this one. I have an urge to build it split in two lengthways, if it's practical, that can be bolted back together for transport and exhibiting!

I would certainly split the length. Mine is 120cm (4ft) and can be tricky to manouvere.Wejght will play its part aswell once backscenes etc are added..

Rob

I would certainly split the length. Mine is 120cm (4ft) and can be tricky to manouvere.Wejght will play its part aswell once backscenes etc are added..

Rob

Although the rules say it should be in one piece. I'm not expecting to win, but I'd like to not be disqualified! I think I've got it down to 5ft 6in now, if one turnout is replaced by the sector plate or traverser in the fiddle yard. Not ideal, but when it needs to be carried upright it should be well clear of the ceiling beams.

I've moved 2m long x 0.6m wide x 0.6m high cameo style layout sections layouts around quite successfully in similar situations.  I use a wheeled platform to help [A piece of 18mm form-ply 0.7m square with a lip of 6mm mdf around the edges to ensure the layout doesn't slide off. Four caster wheels under it makes is very maneuverable]. The layout is placed on its end on the wheeled platform and simply wheeled through the house until it's outside and can be laid flat again for transport in my vehicle. It does help that they layout is light weight (aluminium frame/polyurethane foam style construction) - but I'm sure the light weight ply structures would work the same way.

John

Perth, Western Australia

Edited by johnhu

Thanks John. This one would be nearer 0.8m wide, so a bit more difficult. On the level, your platform would definitely work, but not on the stairs, where it would need something far more sophisticated, but still very low. There's a nasty step up, and down again, through the outside door, which is less than 2m high too!

I'm still pondering this, as it's probably the most difficult part of the Challenge!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. This one would be nearer 0.8m wide, so a bit more difficult. On the level, your platform would definitely work, but not on the stairs, where it would need something far more sophisticated, but still very low. There's a nasty step up, and down again, through the outside door, which is less than 2m high too!

I'm still pondering this, as it's probably the most difficult part of the Challenge!

Perhaps a sub section is called for...

'The Cameo removal and replacement challenge"

• Like 1

The builder/owner, who is around these parts somewhere, did  (accompanied by six others).  The layout was worked by a succession of guest operators over the weekend as said/builder owner is also an operator on the the layout that was opposite. That was running two operators down.

43 inches long (not including the Gainsborough Wing).

attachicon.gifBlkgillWarley16-026-EditSmTxt.jpg

A guest operator gives up his time.

P.

Maybe it's just me, but in addition to really liking this layout, I do think the photograph here is amazing.  In capturing the interaction between these two guys, it also captures what makes this hobby so great.  Is it just me?

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

" cameo " must be the most ridiculous use of that word in the context of a layout , there is no dictionary meaning of that word that equates to the concept.

Either "micro layout" or "diorama" would have been appropriate.

I notice in my city there these big public transport things with two decks of passagners , some people call them buses , I've decided to call them "diurectics " in my new book entitled " diurectics timetable 2018"

:D

Edited by Junctionmad