A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

ECC Wheal Imogen / Rosevean Station: the expansion

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

While I didn’t get as much done on my CDAs as I had hoped today (2 concerted to P4 with suspect running and cutting some parts) I did get a couple of other jobs done

First up the 158 has been tested, running well on the Drag test track.

Next the 150 has been P4ed, however there were a few issues (in that it doesn’t work). I think it’s a combination of issues (but mostly pickups) so I will rebuild the pickups to the wheel rims with phosper bronze wire then check the boogie frames have sufficient clearance.

Finally 37521, after buying a set of Extreme Etchings nameplates, the loco is now names as English China Clays, it also gained a set of P4 wheels that are not running too well. There is also an issue with the lights which are not currently working on the new ends, a little wiring work needed.

Unfortunately my TDA suffered a little damage of the transfers on one side, fortunately I have spares but they were intended for another project eventually.

post-54-0-26832100-1537652406_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally a little layout work

I have retrofitted two of the tortoise motors with thicker gauge wire, now they work perfectly

I have also fixed 37521s lights, it turned out that as I hadn’t fitted the end screws the contacts for the lights were not touching the pads on the chassis. It still has running issues, however I think this is because a class 66 gear is different to a class 37 gear so my original plan swapping wheels with 59001 will not work so 521 needs a proper set of wheels fitting. I am still in two minds if I have a full fleet of P4 37s or body swap between 80s and 90s on the same chassis.

Finally I have been painting stones on the bridge, which is now at the stage I am happy to start applying the top coats to stone and mortar...

Once that’s in place I can get back to ground cover

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The bridge carrying a B road over the branch line and clay works is nearing completion, it now just needs the brick arch adding to the inside of the branch bridge and details adding to the road.

Last night’s work focused on finishing off painting the stone, this has followed my usual process for random stone. First painting a large number of individual stones in different shades, for this I have used GWR wagon grey, LMS wagon grey, BR Falcon Grey, Rust, and a couple of random mixes. Once this was dry, the whole lot was over painted with a Humbrol brown which blended it all together.

Next the whole lot was covered with a wet coat of another Humbrol shade which is close to cement, wiping off with kitchen paper to both tone down the colour of the stones and add the mortar.

The brick will follow the same approach (picking out bricks in 5 different shades before over painting in brick red and adding mortar), while the road deck will be formed from ash using the approach taught on the Pendon courses, before finishing off with static grass.

Once that is all finished it can be blended into position on the layout, with plenty of greenery needed to disguise the joints.

I have also had a look at the non-working ZTC511, after dismantling the transformer the route cause was quickly apparent. One of the crimped connections between the power lead and the transformer had separated, so it will be an easy fix once I find the crimping tool and connectors. Of course finding them may not be so easy

In the next couple of days I should also be getting another project through the door, having just purchased 3 more Hornby mk2E coaches from eBay. Along with the 3 that I already have this will give me a complete Virgin XC set to run with 47817 / 47853, although of course you can't fit the whole thing on the layout at once….

As mentioned previously my longer term goal (once Brent is complete) is to build a larger exhibition layout based around the GWML in Devon or Cornwall. The two lead options being a “might have been” set again in Brent but modelled the other way round to my steam layout (with the main towards the front of the layout and the yard at the back). The premise would be that the branch had been rescued by preservationists, giving a few interesting bits of stock stored in the yard along with a 4575/1400/Pannier running up down to Kingsbridge. Brent station would have been reopened in the 90s (with a bus shelter station etc). The other option is very similar but based on Bodmin Parkway, it would have the added benefit of being real, but the downside of needing to be a lot longer.

In the mean time I am trying to keep as much of this stock in OO as possible, meaning I can have a play with the XC rake, HST or TPO rakes on 1947 Brent in the garage. I will keep building stock for this longer term project, else when space / funds allow me to start, the layout will take even longer due to the need to build stock as well as the layout.

post-54-0-66776200-1539073006_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-44707300-1539073054_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-96876400-1539073072_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And I have my first booking of 2019

If anyone would like to see the layout it will be at the Yate show on the 2nd February, and then at the SWAG Members day in Taunton around Easter.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138503-yate-model-railway-show-s-glos-2-february-2019/#entry3335185 

I had best get on and finish it!

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still slow progress, I am debating what I am going to do with the large area on the left hand side. Some buildings are now glued in place, while the bridge is nearing compleation ( main girder is in place, the brick arch is fitted and painted and the road deck is almost ready for adding the surface finish (made from ash from the wood burner)

I have also finished off a car which will be crossing the bridge, in fact it is my first car, a 1996 Fiat Punto in black. I ended up converting a 5 door police car variant from Cararama (I think) removing the rear doors and adding new glazing. It was converted to RHD, resprayed black (with grey bumpers) and will probably end up on the bridge.

It would have been in Cornwall at the time given the people I bought it from back in 2001 had owned it from new and lived in north cornwall!)

post-54-0-40899800-1540769310_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-97429400-1540769333_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-56855300-1540769386_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Still slow progress, I am debating what I am going to do with the large area on the left hand side. Some buildings are now glued in place, while the bridge is nearing compleation ( main girder is in place, the brick arch is fitted and painted and the road deck is almost ready for adding the surface finish (from ash)

I have also finished off a car which will be crossing the bridge, in fact it is my first car, a 1996 Fiat Punto in black. I ended up converting a 5 door police car variant from Cararama (I think) removing the rear doors and adding new glazing. It was converted to RHD, resprayed black (with grey bumpers) and will probably end up on the bridge.

It would have been in Cornwall at the time given the people I bought it from (in 2001 had owned it from new and loved in north cornwall!)

It's nice to model something with a real historical connection. On my layout I will have models of my Dad's first car (sit-up-and-beg Ford Anglia), my first car (100E Popular) and one of my Grandad's cars (Morris Minor).

• RMweb Gold

It's nice to model something with a real historical connection. On my layout I will have models of my Dad's first car (sit-up-and-beg Ford Anglia), my first car (100E Popular) and one of my Grandad's cars (Morris Minor).

It’s annoying that no one makes a 4mm scale model of a 77 Spitfire (although I know for certain that in 1998 mine was in bits in my parents garage)

• RMweb Gold

Some more layout work this morning, completing the road surface on the bridge, and adding more ground base. This uses cotton wall covered in artex to ad some more bumps (as the basis for some scrub land) and to fill the area between the retaining wall and bridge.

I have also done some work to some road vehicles adding rear detail and a forth axle to the tipper and shortening a tanker into a more typical 2 axle fuel oil delivery truck that is so common in Devon and Cornwall.

Next brown paint tonight and a start applying the base layer of static grass tomorrow.

The bridge also needs a fair bit of paint touch up work, and static grass along the road edges.

post-54-0-71018000-1541249626_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-91748200-1541249644_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-76145200-1541249687_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-27260200-1541316500_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-66436400-1541316530_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Time for some more grass, along with some ballast repairs,

This just leaves the rear most area requiring the first coat of grass, (which needs to have the concrete base painted first)

I have also added a line of grass along the edge of the road over the bridge.

Of course all of this still requires a lot more work adding different length grass along with the bushes and trees etc, but it does at least make it look a lot better. Everything is now drying before I hoover up the excess (using the trusty old sock to capture the excess fibres)

post-54-0-76907700-1541333838_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Final update from my weekend of scenic work one Wheal Imogen, I have started laying the rubberised horse hair core for a number of bushes / scrub. Along with building a short tree circa 20ft scale height).

All of which will now be covered in a mix of green scene and woodland scenics products to add the leaves, before installing the tree. Once the bushes are done I will apply another coat of grass (long fivers) to blend into the bushes (I don’t want to waste the more expensive product under glue!)

I have also put the first coat of paint on the concrete slab that was laid yesterday, painting it NSE white. It now needs weathering before the remaining buildings can be glued down.

This does still leave a small gap between ballast and building which will be grassed at the same time as the right hand area in front of the bridge next weekend.

Hopefully I can soon install the over roof on the left hand side, though I keep thinking I ought to come up with a way to make it removable for track cleaning given it covers the head shunt...

Current logic is a cocktail stick superglued onto the inside (out of sight) and drilling holes in the base...)

I have ran a train in a long time, so a bit more testing under power will be a good idea. Need to iron out what stock is passed for service for the rapidly approaching exhibition debut

I welcome feedback in two areas, the area on the right between branch and works, would

It looks better/ more prototypical if the bushes filled the whole area or as it is at the moment with bushes in the middle and what will be long grass either side.?

Second, would people prefer to see the layout running in 1986/87 or 1998/99? Not that I am making any promises as stock availability may force my hand...

post-54-0-03092800-1541367469_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-66740600-1541367484_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is how it’s looking now, post-54-0-94931600-1541406650_thumb.jpegpost-54-0-30617400-1541406669_thumb.jpeg

It is coming together...

Edit, one thing I should add is the facia frame really helps to obscure that large hole in the left hand side for the branch to exit to fiddleyard

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I took an extra day off work today to spend some time working on the layout.

The focus was on trees and bushes, which are coming along nicely. The next stage is going to be adding long grass to blend it all in. Plus ordering some plumbers hemp from which to make the reeds needed to finish off the river.

I have also cut the tortoise wires down to length, which means it’s about time I fitted the cover plate over the left hand switch....

The tree on the right hand side is a woodland scenics armature given to me by John (Re6-6). It was bent to shape, covered with rubberised horse hair and then applications of greenscene products. A couple more trees are needed to finish off the scrub area, but these won’t be added until the grass is finished

post-54-0-24601300-1542311187_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-66374500-1542311203_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a month and a bit to go now until the first show, and the action list consists of:

Replace a point motor

Find and fix the powercab power supply board

Build fiddleyard / legs

Add long grass

Add reeds to river

Add a fence between the river bridge and the road bridge

Weather the right hand building

Glue the over roof in position

Add buddleia to the scrub area, along with a few larger bushes

I think that is probably a day of scenic work and a day of woodwork.

Need to stop getting distracted by rolling stock projects, although at least this Cargowaggon painting and lettering is needed for the layout

post-54-0-38017400-1545479940_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Need to stop getting distracted by rolling stock projects, although at least this Cargowaggon painting and lettering is needed for the layout

I think I must be hallucinating - Richard Pedder finished a project?

Whats even more embarrassing is that I've not even started the paint on mine, and I manufactured the kit! I blame the Matchbox Flower class Corvette that has taken up dry dock on my workbench since August!

Jon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Really pleased with the kit Jon, though I wouldn’t say it’s quite finished as all the small etched still need gluing on. I wanted to ensure it was i a good enough state to use at Yate on Feb 2nd.

That and making sure it’s complete before the Kernow one comes out

After Christmas the first priority is to get the fiddleyard built and avoid a repeat of Scaleforum!

• RMweb Gold

The Year in Review

January:

post-54-0-44362700-1515340680.jpeg

The start of the year

The first task in January was to build the slurry loader http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122113-ecc-wheal-imogen-p4/page-3

post-54-0-95290700-1516100656.jpeg

The works from Blackcombe was reworked to get an older stone built structure which has been extended in block, adding additional loading ports and another roof section.   A curved over roof section was added from Evergreen sheet and formers cut on the silhouette cutter.

post-54-0-19569600-1516795042.jpeg

Track laying commenced with the installation of the branch track, which was followed by knocking up a small half relief stores shed from Wills sheet.  A retaining wall was built from Slatters brick plasticard and installed along the length of the river.

post-54-0-64982100-1517268153.jpeg

February

The month saw a start on painting the main works building, picking out various individual stones, before overpainting with a stone colour and adding mortar.  The large building to the right of the dries was detailed with some faded Perspex windows and various additional vents.

post-54-0-30083700-1518861793.jpeg

post-54-0-99841100-1518942041.jpegApril

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122113-ecc-wheal-imogen-p4/page-3

It was now time to start work on the track building, after using a bandsaw to chop some peroxin sheet into sleepers they were all glued down to the templates.

post-54-0-81251600-1524936317.jpeg

Sides were added to the river bridge (cut to shape on the silhouette cutter and with ribs added from Evergreen strip, sprayed up in Railfreight Grey)

May

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122113-ecc-wheal-imogen-p4/page-3

This was followed by a start on the track building, soldering up using spacers from an etched kit to get the rail height to match the flex track.

post-54-0-68389100-1525187559.jpeg

By mid month the track was all built and testing commenced, with 47817 the convenient choice having just exited the work bench.

post-54-0-48517000-1526851852.jpeg

This was followed by track painting, and ballasting of the non inset track (with woodland scenic ballast).

post-54-0-86972200-1527373576.jpeg

The final job for May was to cut and fit the backscene and facia panel

post-54-0-85780300-1527580068.jpeg

June

The first focus for June was the installation of the concrete inset, working with pollyfiller (a mistake as the artex used for phase 2 later in the year was a lot easier to work with.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151512501@N07/41880787365/

This was followed by building the core for the road bridge from foam board and Wills varigurder

post-54-0-67999900-1528007094.jpeg

The ground areas and river bed were all painted brown in preparation for scenic treatments

The backscene painted a pale blue / white mix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151512501@N07/41582692090/

July

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122113-ecc-wheal-imogen-p4/page-6

The first job of the month was some more tidying of the river, repainting it with oils to get a better shade.  This was followed by painting the facia / baseboard edges in black.

post-54-0-99887500-1534493796.jpeg

August

The main job for the beginning of August was to make a start on the ground coverings, with lots of static grass to apply to the left hand side of the layout.

post-54-0-36113200-1534512291.jpeg

This was followed by more work on the road bridge, cladding it in stone embossed plasticard.   A Dapol GWR round post signal was then added protecting the entrance of the yard from the branch.

post-54-0-41416100-1535377646.jpeg

October

In order to get on with the ground coverings, the priority job was to get the bridge painted.  With that done it was glued in position on the baseboard and the ballasting touched up to blend it in.

post-54-0-66776200-1539073006.jpeg

November

Finally a decision as to how to finish the area between the works and the branch, artex used to create an undulating surface and cover with scrub.   While the artex was out, I blended in the rest of the bridge.

post-54-0-91748200-1541249644.jpeg

The whole area was then given a coat of static grass before making a start on adding the rubberised horse hair core to build up the bushes along the wall / rivers edge.

post-54-0-94931600-1541406650.jpeg

Finally the horse hair was given a covering of scenic materials to add the leaves, along with the first of a few trees in the scrub area.

post-54-0-24601300-1542311187.jpeg

Which brings progress to today:

2019 Plans

There is now just over one month to go to the layouts exhibition debut at Yate on the first Saturday of February.  There is still a lot of work to go:

Ø  Build a fiddleyard (finalising a design for it would be a start)

Ø  Build some legs (although the fiddleyard design needs to be finished first)

Ø  Add a coat of long static grass to all grass areas

Ø  Add at least one other texture to the bushes

Ø  2 more trees

Ø  Some sort of large bush / tree on abutment for road bridge

Ø  Weather the right hand building and glue in place (before blending in with more long grass)

Ø  Add gutters to the dries

Ø  Add reeds to the river (some hemp was ordered yesterday for this job)

Ø  Replace blown point motor

Ø  Add buddleia / higher bushes to the scrub area

Ø  Glue roof in place for covered loading area

Ø   Finally buy some self-adhesive vinyl and run through the cutter to get the Wheal Imogen and ECC logo for the facia

I then plan on making a few more minor improvements / additional detailing before exhibition no 2 for the RMWeb day in Taunton in April.   After that there are plenty of stock and weathering jobs to be getting on with, along with putting some real time into getting Brent more complete.  I have a few ideas for future small modern layouts as well at some stage, though that’s for another year!

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of a comparison post:

The start: Blackcombe Torr at Scaleforum circa 2008

file.php?id=35980&sid=361ac9215971be1657

The works and a lot of track components (along with the fiddleyard baseboard) have all been repurposed into Wheal Imogen.

Moving forward to January 18

post-54-0-38943200-1516100690.jpeg

A facia is yet to be built, lots of buildings are little more than drawings.

post-54-0-78625900-1516835789.jpeg

With the buildings slightly further on, but still a long way to go

Then on to January 19

post-54-0-24601300-1542311187.jpeg

Nearly there, still lots of detailing and small refinements to add (not to mention a fiddleyard). I am planning a full day on the layout late this month, along with a few evenings work to knock up a fiddleyard

All in all I think it is a much improved layout, more akin to what Blackcombe should have looked like if I hadnt tried to do too much in too small a space.

I do wonder if I will regret not adding the other 4 ft needed to do the full works to branch, however will give it a couple of shows and see how it goes.

I have 2 concepts in the works for another small layout working along similar principles obstructing sight lines to model a small part of a larger environment. One based around a railnet terminal and the other a diesel depot. If I can come up with a working plan it’s likely to be the latter that comes next (purely as I want to play with my HSTs and other GWT stock.

However Brent needs to be much more complete first...

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another step of the way to compleation, weathering of the second building is now almost finished, just requiring a final coat to blend it all together.

The point in front of the dries has been fitted with the concrete infill, and now just needs a plate over the moving parts.

There is one 6 inch length of the branch that has lifted (as I was gluing to foam I couldn’t use evostick to fix down the sleepers, so used PVA (And didn’t have any waterproof available). I think the bond failed in ballasting

I also have a planned list of stock to form the core for the debut comprising of

2 Class 37s

1 Class 60

1 Class 47

Wagons

2 Cargowaggon, plus a VGA

2 clay tigers

2 silver bullets

Passenger

Either a 153 or a 158

It needs an evening of coupling fitting, some wheel cleaning and some final testing.

Fortunately I have the 23rd and probably another before the show....

post-54-0-80771600-1547414214_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-81922200-1547418253_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-83339100-1547418263_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a lot of time for layout work tonight, so a focus on quick wins.

I wanted to decide which road vehicles were going to be used, ending up with the ubiquitous Landroved 90 and the covered tipper on the bridge. My old (in this case almost new) Fiat Punto parked in the works, and the shortened Shell fuel oil tank arriving at the works between the two buildings to make a delivery.

It should have been the tipper arriving at the works, but it’s too long so gets in the way of the running line...

I also have a brand new Alfa 156 parked up in the works, although it’s a bit to shiny and new it will do for now until I can replace it with an early 90s vaxhaul or Ford. (At which point the Alfa may move to the bridge for some lost grockle...

I ended up doing some more work on the lorries, replacing the tippers body coloured bumper with a grey plastic one, and painting the easisheet cover orange. While the shell tank has had the tank painted back into unbranded shell livery.

The orange cover was from photos (a lot of these easisheet branded coveres seem to be orange (as for that matter were the similar covers on the PRAs.

post-54-0-28091500-1547592583_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-17676200-1547592594_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-36963400-1547592602_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Exhibition preparation continues,

First up a tree has been added at the rear of the layout, (well more a tall bush), it needs more ground foam adding to finish off once the core is dry.

A sea foam tree has been added to the scrub, eventually this will be joined by some silver birch.

Reeds have been added to the river in small clumps, made from plumbers hemp they need trimming once dry. When these are dry I will reassess and decide if more are required. In the photo they are propped up by lots of paint tins

Finally the start of a fence has been fitted along the front of the layout. I need 6 more posts plus something for the other side of the bridge, time for more component recovery from Blackcombe... I am undecided about adding the wires given to scale it would be barely visible. I think just the posts will also be a lot less prone to damage.

While this all dries I moved onto stock tasks

First work on a polybulk on which the wheels fouled the bogies. So material was carefully carved from the corners until it ran smoothly. This is now ready for service

Next up a Heljan class 58, the wheels needed the remains of the pin points removing while the body needed the door handrail plates gluing in position. The loco is now ready for decoder fitting and entering service, I don’t know if they ever borrowed the 58 that was a regular on the st Blazey fuel tanks to run on clay trains, but it happened to so many other visitors to Cornwall I wouldn’t be surprised.

Finally (to use up the glue) I have tried fixing the grill on a Heljan 33 Hartfordshie Railtours. It has an Extreme Etchings roof grill, however the brass top etch is damaged (I can’t remembee how) after flattening it out I glued into place. It’s not perfect but looks good enough for now. Another for the long term rework pile. In the mean time I will see how it looks after a dusting of br blue.

post-54-0-38188300-1547683307_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-26568500-1547683317_thumb.jpeg

post-54-0-20832500-1547683325_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A little more scenic progress, with more work on the reeds and another fence added poking through the scrub between the yard and branch. I have also added the missing section of fence to the front of the layout. As well as completing the scene, I think it should also help protect the branch from prying fingers.

post-54-0-33743100-1547766080_thumb.jpeg

I have also been sorting out stock, with the selected locos and a start of the stock selection. This will be the initial locos though it’s missing some of the vans, the engineers rake and either a 158 or 153

To reduce the workload it will be running in DC mode, mostly because all of the chosen locos have lost their decoders into steam locos for Brent. Given it will only have one loco running this isn’t a big issue.post-54-0-70701400-1547766089_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5