Bachman Mauritania sound failure!

Shedmaster 47

Hi folks , I wonder if anyone can advise ? I have a bachman Mauritania sound locomotive that up untill just recently worked fine .Then one day t suddenly without warning stopped producing sounds quite abruptly after settling down into an idle running sound and after the horn was used and the brakes released, it just STOPPED DEAD !!!.......

My initial thoughts was a short had occurred and maybe it had derailed over points etc? Nope it was fine and my prodigy express controller was not flashing ( indicate a short ) puzzled ; I tried to start it again .NO JOY

She runs just as slowly and smoothly as ever , all the lights work as normal but she has just gone MUTE !! Having read some reports on this forum that the speaker contacts mounted in the roof can sometimes cause trouble I removed the body and made sure they came into hard contact after using a fibre glass pen to clean the contacts ( both loco and roof ) reassembled but still no sounds !! Am I rite in assuming that if the chip was still working giving sounds , although the speaker may be dead ; that the loco would not" move off " imidiately up until opening the throttle if I had pressed F1 to start the sounds ?? It would wait untill the engine had fired up first yes ??.....Sadly this is not the case , it move off straight away , making me think I have a damaged chip !!

• RMweb Gold

I have lost a few of the 28mm speakers this loco uses in its sound installation - they have failed.

Suggest you start there ....and while you are in there hard wire the speaker on to those contact pads on the chassis, the rubbing contacts are not reliable. If you want improved sound volume and quality too get the blue tack out and seal around the speaker once sorted...

But if changing the speaker doesn't work it may unfortunately mean the amplifier on the chip has blown....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Thanks phill...how would I test the speaker .continuity with a volt meter perhaps !! It's so tiny that I don't want to try the usual trick ( as used with hi-fi )

And touch the terminals with a pen light battery; if it crackles it works......this may burn out such a tiny speaker ??

Thanks phill...how would I test the speaker .continuity with a volt meter perhaps !! It's so tiny that I don't want to try the usual trick ( as used with hi-fi )

And touch the terminals with a pen light battery; if it crackles it works......this may burn out such a tiny speaker ??

• RMweb Gold

No worries! Easiest with this loco is try it in another if you have another sound fitted with the same installation - just two screws to swap them over

If not suggest you order another - it wont break the bank!

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/speakers/50333-loksound-v4-4-ohm-speaker.aspx is the one you want

Phil

Hi again gents ..well looks like you were rite Phil , removed the speaker from said loco and tested with PP3 battery ( sparingly ) direct to the speaker itself ...

DEAD As the proverbial Doh'Doh !! SO as soon as funds are available again ( am unemployed at the min ) I will be ordering a replacement speaker and I will try again ......

Just one quick question for either of you ;

What would be a sensible CV setting for MASTER Volume ( cv 63 ) so as not to overload the Amp???

I have yet to check it's setting , but the max available 192 and default is 128 from the paperwork I have with it !!!

I was thinking 150 maybe ??

Thanks again gents.....

• RMweb Gold

When you have a new speaker Allan apply the blu tak mod ....see post 497 on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69217-Bachmann-announce-class-43-expanding-the-abbotswood-fleet/page-20

Will increase volume for a given setiing significantly so you can turn actual output volume down

I tend to run ours well wound up as exhibition halls can need that but experiment to find the right volume for your own personal tastes

What part of the word are you in Allan?

Cheers

Phil

HI again Phill , just a quick update .speaker ordered and should be with me by Friday at the latest ....checked out the volume CV and now of course it's set to default of 128 following the CV8 factory reset to 8 !!! So Ave no idea if it was set too high when I bought the loco in " As new" condition over two years ago now .. tried the loco on the track and fresher F1 ( engine startup ) and imidiately opened up the throttle to see if she shot off up the track ?.....thankfully it DIDN'T and waited around 7-8 seconds before it did !!! SO hopefully it looks like my " sound chip " hadn't blown !!!.....

Will keep you posted .

Thanks for your help ..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You are welcome Allan

Would have been happy to offer actual help if you were nearer - I do head off in to Wales trout tickling from time to time, but that's usually around Builth - suspect you are t-other side of the mountains!

Phil

Hi phill ,

Just to let you know the NEW speaker arrived earlier than quoted !!

So after testing it out the of the body and fitting a " blue tack " gasket " inside the roof, it was placed on the layout once again ..

F1 was pesssed and the results were impressive , " Mauritania " has found her voice again!!

And a fair bit louder too ( chip set to factory levels ) !!

Hard to believe that such a small modification can make huge difference!!!

Thanks again for your help and advise.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi phill ,

Just to let you know the NEW speaker arrived earlier than quoted !!

So after testing it out the of the body and fitting a " blue tack " gasket " inside the roof, it was placed on the layout once again ..

F1 was pesssed and the results were impressive , " Mauritania " has found her voice again!!

And a fair bit louder too ( chip set to factory levels ) !!

Hard to believe that such a small modification can make huge difference!!!

Thanks again for your help and advise.....

That's good news Allan

Goes to prove that a bit of attention paid to speaker installation can yield - as you say - worthwhile results. Goes back to physics at school - constructive and destructive interference in wave forms

Phil

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, hucknall byron said:

Phil i have just found this thread whilst waiting for Bachmann to come back to me on the long running saga of the poor running on my self same model. Is the speaker you mention a marked improvement on the factory fitted one in your opinion?

Hi there

Apologies for not coming back sooner.

If I am reading correctly you have two issues... poor running and no sound. Unfortunately Bachmann changed the pick up arrangements on the 40s from wipers to brass bushes and only on two axles! Not good....pretty sure D211 has the latter arrangement. To their credit Bachmann have listened to the issues and have reinstated wipers on the latest batch. Will be interested to hear if they offer you a solution. If not then fit your own wipers... there are instructions in another thread.

As for the speaker.... I don’t know what Bachmann have fitted in the sound version but the ESU 50333 is a direct drop in. Before you change it however just check the brass wiper strips to the speaker are contacting the pads on the chassis. I dont trust them and prefer to hard wire the speaker. As Biff says test the speaker with a battery.

If you do go down the replacement route in addition to the round 50333 which fits as described a double Iphone speaker will just sit on top of the chassis block. Which is better? Not much in it if you seal the 50333 in with blue tack. Here’s a comparison video .... D200 has 50333, D233 has double IPhone. Maybe the double iphone has a bit more tonal range... both locos have Howes files on ESU Loksound chips, volume set CV63 to 192... maximum! I can happily live with either 

Edited by Phil Bullock

Thanks for your interest Phil. Yes mine is the original with brass bushes i didnt know that Bachmann had since gone back to wipers. I have had a reply from them but only with the usual suggestions, clean the track, clean the wheels etc. I am not confident enough to go down the route that you suggest with the model but i am currently having some work done on another model by Richard at Roads and Rails so that might be the way to go?