A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

A slice of 'Mutton'. More Sheep Tales. The continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart.

• RMweb Gold

An introduction to 'Mutton'

1950's wayside station.

4mm OO gauge.

Size; Scenic section-120cm x 40cm. Fiddles yards, 2x 90cm x 26cm. All base boards will utilise table tops kindly manufactured by IKEA.

Ready to run stock. Ready to plant buildings. PECO Code 75 track and points.

The scenic section will draw inspiration from Combpyne on the Lyme Regis branch and feature a loop and a couple of sidings.

Things will be kept as simple as possible.

A few photos of a couple of mock ups to give a feel for the project along with the proposed track level station building and a couple of prototype images.

Rob

post-14122-0-86079700-1492885637_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-31574700-1492885699_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-64819500-1492885814_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-34306700-1492885905_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-76353500-1492886069.jpg

post-14122-0-34872900-1492886278.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 11

Glad to say Norman put in a cameo appearance at Llantwit Fardre this weekend.

t'would appear the nearby Ship Inn dispenses an excellent 'full English', delivered to table by an attractive and buxom potential future Mrs Lockhart.

As for 'Mutton' - bring it on.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks interesting Rob

Really nice prototype. Something I looked at many years ago when I bought a book on Southern Branches, with part featuring the Lyme Regis branch. Never proceeded further than a few ideas...

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully I can start doing a little bit on Mutton ( Make a start......in fact !)though for the next month work is going to take more and more time out of modelling time. I will probably work on stock and buildings initially.

It was a bit of a shock to find that the little ground frame from Kernow which graces Sheep Lane has sold out......b**ger!.

Plan B it is then......

Sheep Lane took roughly a year to get to where it is now......I am due to exhibit Mutton in January.....Mmmmm

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It was a bit of a shock to find that the little ground frame from Kernow which graces Sheep Lane has sold out......b**ger!.

What if Norman was a bit hasty in his eagerness to park the car one morning, and accidentally 'demolished' the GF building, leading to its removal and rebuilding in the workshops and re-use on Mutton, whilst an alternative was found for Sheep Lane?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What if Norman was a bit hasty in his eagerness to park the car one morning, and accidentally 'demolished' the GF building, leading to its removal and rebuilding in the workshops and re-use on Mutton, whilst an alternative was found for Sheep Lane?

It might happen you know, CK. I have a plan B for Mutton but open to suggestion........I am easily led.......it's the Sheep in me......as opposed to me in the Sheep which is a very bad thing.......

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Might see one of these at Mutton......ewe never know...

post-14122-0-95593900-1493665874_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What if Mutton was a terminus..........a sort of cameo.....of a terminus.......

Rob

post-14122-0-58285500-1494696228_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Mutton Shambles?

I take it that's a no then Teakers?

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not ruling anything out Stubbers.......

The above terminus will work. It's tight in places all right and I would have liked a bay but it's too short for that and I want the scenic section within the one base board.

It' a challenge alright to get a workable terminus into 120cm x 40cm.

I'm not happy with the signal box. It's too big and does rather dominate.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the idea but I can't help thinking it lacks the originality of Sheep Lane.  Based on what you've done previously, I'm sure it will have atmosphere and charm but you might be adding extra work for yourself to overcome the 'yet another BLT' feeling.  There are some excellent BLT layouts out there but that's (perhaps) the problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nope.  It's me being too obtuse.

Mutton termination ... slaughterhouse ... shambles.

Sorry.

More like me being woolly headed....Not your fault........I am back in the room...

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the idea but I can't help thinking it lacks the originality of Sheep Lane.  Based on what you've done previously, I'm sure it will have atmosphere and charm but you might be adding extra work for yourself to overcome the 'yet another BLT' feeling.  There are some excellent BLT layouts out there but that's (perhaps) the problem.

Posts like that are what it's all about.

Thanks Teakers

• RMweb Gold

This isn't going to help narrow down your thinking I'm afraid.

Do you think the track alignment relative to the baseboard is a little too square on?  The problem is that this is always the best way to accommodate the maximum amount of track so it is logical for us all to think this way.  I find Iain Rice's ideas appealing in that there is often something to break up the angles - gentle curves, slight contrasts in heights for sidings - so that even when a layout essentially still runs left to right, you never really notice.

What about a through junction with a signal box but no platform?

Oh, and how about some apple green and teak?  :tomato:

I'm not happy with the signal box. It's too big and does rather dominate.

Rob

How about a small platform signal box Rob ?

Do you think that would work on it ?

A Hornby R9814 for example.

Edited by 71H

• RMweb Gold

The 'square on' track thing does bother me. In terms of trackwork I am firmly in the 'less is more' camp so this is a bit of a departure, a diversion.

Interesting you should mention a junction. I have considered this but not for a British layout.....Czech branch lines are littered with junctions leading off into the forest to unknown factories...very intriguing..

And finally........No.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

How about a small platform signal box Rob ?

Do you think that would work on it ?

A Hornby R9814 for example.

Hi, Andy. That's not a bad call. On the back of that, I came across the Hornby R8589, level crossing box, which is also rather nice but only available second hand. Still holding out for a Kernow ground frame though........they do rather scream L&SWR.

All of this has made me think again. First choice was always to build Mutton as a through station and we shall be stcking with plan A.

I have been playing about a bit more and think this is now settled. I shall post a few photos tomorrow and welcome comments but aside from confirming the positions of the buildings, it's all there really.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I came across the Hornby R8589, level crossing box, which is also rather nice but only available second hand

If I may, Dear Heart, I should point out that that splendid Hornby item is very much based on a standard Midland Railway ground-level box, the likes of which was still in use at Oddingley Crossing near Bromsgrove until a few months ago (now moved to the Chasewater Railway for preservation, I believe).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oddingley+signal+box&sa=X&tbm=isch&imgil=hObvfplnff-OAM%253A%253BUnf6gS2_551j1M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforum.signalbox.org%25252Fviewtopic.php%25253Ff%2525253D8%25252526t%2525253D7837&source=iu&pf=m&fir=hObvfplnff-OAM%253A%252CUnf6gS2_551j1M%252C_&usg=__0XKtI1TnkbSdPERjmOTAf6bMONU%3D&biw=1440&bih=770&ved=0ahUKEwiO8K7e8-7TAhUlCcAKHWqFAPsQyjcIOg&ei=9gwYWY6dHKWSgAbqioLYDw#imgrc=hObvfplnff-OAM:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I had a fresh look at Mutton this morning and quite sure this is the way forward. The photos I took were to see if the feeling of space so important on Sheep Lane is there......and I think it is.

The platform needs to be narrower and the one in the photos is there simply to give an idea of length and support the station building. A narrower width will hopefully give the impression of a longer platform. Facings will be PECO concrete.

Earlier photos showed the Bachmann Woody Bay station building at ground level. I am more incline now to have a platform mounted timber building as shown. It is small and low. I have a use for Woody Bay.......though not here..

There may well be signals, though I am not too precious on this and I will give this more thought. I fancy the Dapol Southern lattice types but there is a fair amount of grumping over reliability on the thread.

I am thinking of using levers for the points but am equally happy to activate them using the Mk1 finger. Some of the photos have been taken to illustrate the levers but be mindful that the ground level will be raised so they will be less prominent. Add in a bit of tufty grass and jobs potentially a good one.

I intend to use a few Southern types including the T9 but primarily we will see Radials running the show with help from M7 and 700.

Rob.

post-14122-0-91029000-1494748178_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-11961500-1494748221_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-03261300-1494748249_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-20907400-1494748269_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-94530400-1494748296_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-77976600-1494748329_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-65386600-1494748355_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-07622800-1494748380_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-61303000-1494748412_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-68604700-1494748452_thumb.jpg

• Like 8