A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

A slice of 'Mutton'. More Sheep Tales. The continuing adventures of Norman Lockhart.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I had a fresh look at Mutton this morning and quite sure this is the way forward. The photos I took were to see if the feeling of space so important on Sheep Lane is there......and I think it is.

The platform needs to be narrower and the one in the photos is there simply to give an idea of length and support the station building. A narrower width will hopefully give the impression of a longer platform. Facings will be PECO concrete.

Earlier photos showed the Bachmann Woody Bay station building at ground level. I am more incline now to have a platform mounted timber building as shown. It is small and low. I have a use for Woody Bay.......though not here..

There may well be signals, though I am not too precious on this and I will give this more thought. I fancy the Dapol Southern lattice types but there is a fair amount of grumping over reliability on the thread.

I am thinking of using levers for the points but am equally happy to activate them using the Mk1 finger. Some of the photos have been taken to illustrate the levers but be mindful that the ground level will be raised so they will be less prominent. Add in a bit of tufty grass and jobs potentially a good one.

I intend to use a few Southern types including the T9 but primarily we will see Radials running the show with help from M7 and 700.

Rob.

Very nice Rob. What make are the point levers please?

• RMweb Gold

How will the levers switch the frog polarity ?

They don't, Stubbers. They are simply to change the point blades. The points remain as is and they simply clip on.

Will it still be a through station, Rob?

Yes, CK. The terminus twaddle is at an end.

Very nice Rob. What make are the point levers please?

I cannot remember. I have found the box but no name is there on it......They came from Model Junction in Slough......£10.75 for five.......

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A small step forward from the 'mock ups' that have gone before.

I managed enough time this afternoon to cut the track to length and get to the point ( no pun intended!) where I can start laying the track. I'll not rush it though and will wait to have enough time to do it in one go.

Still some details to iron out but not looking too bad.

These have been posted elsewhere on The Sheep Chronicles but I shall repeat them here to provide a flavour of what's to come.

Rob.

post-14122-0-41982500-1495401446_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-29473000-1495401525_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-73983500-1495401682_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, finally had some time and took full advantage of it.

All track on the scenic section is laid and wired. Test running with a few locos set to appear on the finished layout showed up one or two issues. Notably one of the PECO points had a problem with the frog which required a couple of strokes with a file. Also attended to was a badly cut rail end ( my fault) and a pair of front bogie wheels on one of the Radial tanks which were too tight.

The wiring on the board is simplicity itself with four wires providing the sparks.

I have also installed a Caboose industries point lever to see if that is the way forward. I quite like the practical application but I'm not sure if I can deal with the aesthetics, hence only one installed for now.

Next up should be the platform and some work on the buildings along with the fiddle yards.

Rob.

post-14122-0-74303400-1496109269_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the progress Rob. Heretic as they may be, there's something about those point levers that I like. They are very workmanlike and we already know you can make them look right.

As I think I've mentioned before, I follow your use of Ikea table tops with interest, as I've often thought it would be interesting to try out (including the irregular shaped ones, some of which resemble lamb  chops by the way). I don't think you've said which particular type this is - is it also LACK like your other layout?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel.

I am of the same mind about the point levers.We shall see.

The base board is the LACK nest of tables. See here.

120cm x 40 cm x 5cm deep.

Rob.

post-14122-0-55711400-1496432896.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Rob. So, an OO layout and an N layout then?  :locomotive:

Well.........not exactly.....but I have something in mind for the 60x40 smaller table top....

OO........Engine shed sort of industrial thing.......think Peckett...

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is rather nice and slightly quirky, CK. Few detailing jobs to do but very appealing.

Mutton should get going soon. Work has settled down a bit after a hectic couple of weeks. No time off as such until next Saturday but at least only working 8hr days......

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I do think that a row of fire buckets would enhance the model still further!And maybe the signalman's bike (or motorbike) leaned against the wall under the overhanging bit.

Indeed, CK. A few bits to do and some weathering to be applied here and there but a most agreeable little structure. This in itself will form a nice little project.

The buildings for Mutton will keep me ticking over for a little while. First up will be the station building itself. Once that is finished, along with the platform, things should progress.

Rob.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Things are a tad stoppy starty at present.

However, track layout on the scenic board is now finalised. As of yesterday, I now have the fiddle yards following the purchase of two ' LACK ' television tables giving me two boards 90cm x 26. This weekend I hope to lay the track in the fiddle yards and indulge in some through running.

Plans afoot revolve around finalising a system to link the boards and the electrics.

Stand by for a few 'work in progress' images......

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am in the process of mounting the fiddle yards........so to speak.....

Updates to follow......

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am in the process of mounting the fiddle yards........so to speak.....

Updates to follow......

Rob.

I know there is an ovine theme to all this Rob, but don't you think this is taking authenticity a little too far?

• RMweb Gold

I know there is an ovine theme to all this Rob, but don't you think this is taking authenticity a little too far?

Sheep themed and Welsh based.......this thread is not without risk........

Anyway..first bit of proper running today. Track down in both fiddle yards and a temporary power supply has seen some through running today. It's highlighted a few snags. Main one is some work needed on the respective fiddle yard entrances which are somewhat snug.

It's good to get something running at long last....

Rob

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some progress on Mutton over the last few days. Backscene is on and with it came the need to make some minor mods.

A few photos have been taken and I would hope that these provide an impression of the overall look that I am after with Mutton.

I am trying to capture the feel of an isolated station on a bucolic branch line in Devon circa 1959. Obviously this will develop better once the scenics start to be added. However for now I am pleased with how things are at present.

Clearly lots to do but I do feel that we are getting there.

Rob.

post-14122-0-59973200-1500409573_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-13602200-1500409602_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-80331100-1500409634_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-79427400-1500409679_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

By way of update here's a few photos of some progress made. The ohotos have already been posted on the main 'Sheep Chronicles' thread but I am duplicating them here for the sake of continuity.

The week end just gone was originally planned for the trackwork to be oainted and pergaps a start made on ballasting/groundworks.

However, I continued with the infrastructure and built the lid and arch. The lighting was installed at thd same time.

I had always wanted to include storage and here we see the resulting fiddle yard storage on the lid. The one fiddle yard will stack atop the other and be secured for transport.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

By way of update here's a few photos of some progress made. The ohotos have already been posted on the main 'Sheep Chronicles' thread but I am duplicating them here for the sake of continuity.

The week end just gone was originally planned for the trackwork to be oainted and pergaps a start made on ballasting/groundworks.

However, I continued with the infrastructure and built the lid and arch. The lighting was installed at thd same time.

I had always wanted to include storage and here we see the resulting fiddle yard storage on the lid. The one fiddle yard will stack atop the other and be secured for transport.

Rob.

And here's the photos...........

post-14122-0-53611700-1500929511_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-41171600-1500929553_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-45199900-1500929601_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-04812500-1500929631_thumb.jpg

• Like 1