Mickleover MRG announce exclusive Bachmann Class 37 at Derby show

Andy Y

I've also ordered one, but question from a friend who is also interested is will it come with or without the highland headlamp?

Thanks! The Highland headlamp isn't available on the tooling, so it won't be on the model. But.. Lees locos is able to fit working ones for £30 a loco, so if anyone wants those fitting to their model just get in touch with him after purchase and arrange it with him.  

The other option is to scratch build one, or maybe we could get some non working ones 3D printed if demand is high enough, as these could be used on many other locos. But that'll have to want for now unless demand is overwhelming. 

Alex

Edited by Lochnagar

Thanks! The Highland headlamp isn't available on the tooling, so it won't be on the model. But.. Lees locos is able to fit working ones for £30 a loco, so if anyone wants those fitting to their model just get in touch with him after purchase and arrange it with him.  

The other option is to scratch build one, or maybe we could get some non working ones 3D printed if demand is high enough, as these could be used on many other locos. But that'll have to want for now unless demand is overwhelming. 

Alex

Thanks Alex, I suspected the tooling would be an issue, I think my friend has already ordered one anyway!

• Like 1

Thanks Ian and Andy - your support is very much appreciated.

Alex has already had some orders overnight, and we have had our first overseas enquiry from the States - anyone making enquires at this stage is being directed to the website on Monday when the online process will be available.

Well you'll get a definite sale from me, in the former penal colonies.... now with your one from the states, does that make the model internationally successful?

• RMweb Premium

Great choice!   37114 is the only 37 I can claim to have photographed in 3 different liveries.

Sorry we can only afford them one at a time so you'll have to put up with just Large Logo Blue - unless you order one of Alex's repaints  !

• Like 1

Make that another heading Down Under!  Wishing you every success with this fundraiser.

Just checking, is the option to upgrade to Weathered arranged later?

Cheers

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Make that another heading Down Under!  Wishing you every success with this fundraiser.

Just checking, is the option to upgrade to Weathered arranged later?

Cheers

Jon

Jon

Please register your interest by PM to Alex (Lochnagar) - details are in his post above.

Thanks

placed my expression of interest first thing this morning, now time to start saving the pennies.

I never got to see this loco in this livery, only managed to spot it in EWS but it looked far better in large logo and the model fits my modelling era.

All recent 37s with boiler ports have also had the gouge in the bodyside under the cantrail grilles.  Are you ensuring that this model doesn't suffer from this error?

• Like 2

All recent 37s with boiler ports have also had the gouge in the bodyside under the cantrail grilles.  Are you ensuring that this model doesn't suffer from this error?

Yes, a definite yes!! This is one of the main selling points of this loco that it's the 37/0 tooling without that 'trench line' error, and misplaced 'as built' features such as the bodyside boiler filler hatch and associated steps . Guaranteed. It'll use the same bodyshell as the previously released EW&S 37114, so will be as accurate to the period as possible. A much awaited 37 tooling! 

• Like 1

Yes, a definite yes!! This is one of the main selling points of this loco that it's the 37/0 tooling without that 'trench line' error, and misplaced 'as built' features such as the bodyside boiler filler hatch and associated steps . Guaranteed. It'll use the same bodyshell as the previously released EW&S 37114, so will be as accurate to the period as possible. A much awaited 37 tooling!

One more online form filled in....

A very good question - and an even better answer......... !!

• Like 2

Hang on a minute. This is a hand painted sample using the correct Bachmann 37 body done by club member Alex Carpenter as you must know. He is a professional in the true sense of the word and what he doesn't know about modern image paintwork isn't worth knowing.Besides which you cannot judge true colour tone on line...an example of which is the rendering of BR green on both the Hattons and Rails websites.Yes it may well be the lighting that affects your perception.

One thing I do know...the answer definitely isn't a lemon :jester: .And a rush to judgement at this stage is unnecessary. Let's give credit for what has already been achieved and eagerly anticipate what is to come. BTW (and this from many years personal experience)  Alex's £25 weathering offer is an absolute steal. :imsohappy:

That is such an outlandish assumption.   I have never heard of Alex Carpenter.   The question about the paint was perfectly reasonable for all those not in the know unlike you.

Edited by ThaneofFife

I think the problem arose because the mention of the hand painted model was in the previous thread about a Bachmann special to be announced at the Derby Show, but when that was closed on the day of the show so that this new thread could be started, there was no mention that the painted sample being hand painted so if you hadn't seen the previous thread (and lets be honest the forum is too big to spot everything) there was no way of knowing that it wasn't a factory sample.

I too have no previous knowledge of Alex and his resprays, I was just lucky to have read the previous thread so I knew about it, and on the day of the announcement I went in search of the MMRG to read about it too, but not everyone would have done that.

It probably didn't look good that ThaneofFifes comment came straight after the "I don't see what all the fuss is about" post so it looked like two criticising posts together and that the backlash was starting early but I think Thane looked at the photo at the top of the thread with the photo entitled "Decorated Sample" and thought like many other people would have done who weren't in the know, that this was a factory sample.

BTW I don't know thane, he could be a right trouble causer for all i know LOL :D but I can see how he could have made the mistake

• Like 2

I think the problem arose because the mention of the hand painted model was in the previous thread about a Bachmann special to be announced at the Derby Show, but when that was closed on the day of the show so that this new thread could be started, there was no mention that the painted sample being hand painted so if you hadn't seen the previous thread (and lets be honest the forum is too big to spot everything) there was no way of knowing that it wasn't a factory sample.

I too have no previous knowledge of Alex and his resprays, I was just lucky to have read the previous thread so I knew about it, and on the day of the announcement I went in search of the MMRG to read about it too, but not everyone would have done that.

It probably didn't look good that ThaneofFifes comment came straight after the "I don't see what all the fuss is about" post so it looked like two criticising posts together and that the backlash was starting early but I think Thane looked at the photo at the top of the thread with the photo entitled "Decorated Sample" and thought like many other people would have done who weren't in the know, that this was a factory sample.

BTW I don't know thane, he could be a right trouble causer for all i know LOL :D but I can see how he could have made the mistake

Hi John

Interesting comments. However, by assuming that the painted example at the start of this thread was a "factory sample"  just gives testament to how good a job Alex has made of hand painting it. If you look very closely at the picture, there is some very minor transfer film backing showing around the numbers, which wouldn't be present on a factory tampo printed sample, that being the only give-away, otherwise it's spot on. Having personally re-painted many models over the years, it takes skill and a lot of practice/patience to get a finished model to this standard. The possible over-exposure of the photo has no effect on the the quality of the work.

Alex's work has been featured in a number of articles in REX Magazine (Modeller) all of them to a very high standard.  Back issues being available......if you don't presently buy the mag............. 

Regards

Ken

Imagine the comments if it was badly painted though lol

I was just trying to see the other side of things because its so easy these days for people on forums to read things negatively when that might not have been the intention of the poster.

As for Alex, since 37114 was unveiled I looked for his other work which i have discoverered as others rightly say is superb, I just wish I could do things half as good... hell! even a quarter as good and i'd be happy! But generally in all my years of modelling I don't look at names of other people who do modelling, even if their work appears in some publications it would need a lot of people to keep repeating a name to get my attention as i'm worse than useless with names.

• RMweb Premium

Mr York will see for himself tonight and so there may be more photos to come - but it will be the same hand painted example shown in the original posting and on display over the weekend at the Derby Show.

Visitors to DEMU next month will also have the opportunity to see the loco and place their orders with Alex.

Considering the fact that this has only been announced on RMweb and the Derby Show, we are very pleased with the response so far - which Bachmann tell us is better than for some other Limited Editions. Once we get Alex's photos into the magazines, then are hoping to sell out so if you are interested, don't delay making your reservation.

• Like 2