Mickleover MRG announce exclusive Bachmann Class 37 at Derby show

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

But the burning question is do you have the pre production sample yet?

And also any update on a due date?

Wayne

I was wondering about that too, since Bachmann has had the pre-pro sample of its own 37099 'Merl Evans' and presumably they'll be part of the same production slot.

• RMweb Premium

Andrew and Wayne

Alex is on the Rail Express stand at the NEC and so he may not be able to respond for a couple of days. He has seen the pre-production sample but I understand that there were a couple of things that weren't quite right and so revisions were sent back to the factory. As far as I know we are still expecting delivery in January. As treasurer, I'll be spending tens of thousands of pounds just after Christmas and then hoping all those with reservations actually come up with some cash for us to try and balance the books and boost our building fund for the new clubrooms. Then we start all over again with something else to be announced at our show in May - deposits are already paid and so research is underway . . . . . . . 

Mike

But the burning question is do you have the pre production sample yet?

And also any update on a due date?

Wayne

I was wondering about that too, since Bachmann has had the pre-pro sample of its own 37099 'Merl Evans' and presumably they'll be part of the same production slot.

Yes, the pre production sample was received back in early October. However the factory had made the same error as on 37099 (all black headcode boxes) which looked awful, so I took the decision not to show anyone as folks would think the model was going to be wrong when in fact it was a pre production very random error. Those of you who went to Warley will have noticed that the pre production Colas 37099 was on display..because I've corrected the headcodes for them on the sample. I haven't had time to do this on our 37114 yet, but when I do I'll share it on here. Probably over christmas when I have some free time! 

Rest assured this error will be fixed on the production locos, obviously. Thanks for everyone that came to say hi at warley, and those who ordered locos. They're still going at a fair rate, almost down to the last 50 now. 

Alex

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the pre production sample was received back in early October. However the factory had made the same error as on 37099 (all black headcode boxes) which looked awful, so I took the decision not to show anyone as folks would think the model was going to be wrong when in fact it was a pre production very random error. Those of you who went to Warley will have noticed that the pre production Colas 37099 was on display..because I've corrected the headcodes for them on the sample. I haven't had time to do this on our 37114 yet, but when I do I'll share it on here. Probably over christmas when I have some free time! 

Rest assured this error will be fixed on the production locos, obviously. Thanks for everyone that came to say hi at warley, and those who ordered locos. They're still going at a fair rate, almost down to the last 50 now. 

Alex

Far better to wait and get it right ! I for one can't wait! My own 114 had the wrong roof layout , so to have an accurate one will be superb! Any chance of 37183 or 37261 etc next?! Ha ha

Far better to wait and get it right ! I for one can't wait! My own 114 had the wrong roof layout , so to have an accurate one will be superb! Any chance of 37183 or 37261 etc next?! Ha ha

Yes! The sample will be entering the ABC workbench this week for correction so hopefully will have some pics of that within 1-2 weeks now. The production model will be spot on, as you would expect :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on 37114 for everyone.

We're currently awaiting a revised ETA from Bachmann, due to Chinese new year and associated things. So I'll know more before the month is out and have a new date pencilled in, which I will put up on here. 

Just to let everyone know you haven't been forgotten etc etc, and the waiting list is alive and well, and very nearly full. 

It's safe to say 37114 will be sold out on pre-order, so if you want one please please get in and reserve now or it will be too late by the time they actually arrive, I'd hate anyone to miss out waiting until they actually arrive. We are down to the last 40 something locos as of today. 

As usual, no cash up front, just full contact details. We will be in touch when the models arrive to take payment and ship out to you. 

Once again thanks for your support and orders, both from the UK and internationally. Genuinely brilliant, thank you. 

I will keep you guys posted, follow this thread for updates and keep checking back. 

Alex

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any pic of the sample yet?

Really looking forward to this model, currently cracking on with the layout so I’ve got somewhere to run it!

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, funnily enough YES!! I've updated to instagram and Facebook (abc workshops) so if anyone wants to follow me on those feel free. 

So here we are, the 37114 factory pre production sample has landed from China. And I think you'll agree it looks awesome. Whilst there are a few quality control issues to sort out, which is usually the case with first samples, these will be ironed out on the production run. So if there is anything that looks a bit off, don't worry we're on it. We currently have 36 models left, once they're gone they're gone. So if you want one please visit mmrg.org.uk and fill out a form, or drop me a message via social media or on here. They will be sold out when they arrive in a few months time, so don't miss out. No money payable until they have landed in the UK, so a good old fashioned pre order.

Anyway, hope you like! But please bear in mind this is a PRE PRODUCTION model, and has some rough areas. And sorry about the picture quality, the iphone 8 doesn't like doing close ups. 

Alex Carpenter  

post-9660-0-74978900-1516470403_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-83386700-1516470425_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-12232700-1516470449_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-41279000-1516470462_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-80591400-1516470478_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-81713500-1516470495_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-58117100-1516470508_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-49159400-1516470522_thumb.jpg

post-9660-0-61782900-1516470537_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. Looking very nice. And good to hear that they're almost all sold given how you'll be using the proceeds. Bring on the next announcement. Fingers crossed its BR Blue and applicable to the 1980s.

The pics appear to show the pre production model with the incorrect longer nose ends. Note the large gap between the sandbox fillers and the grills. I take it the production ones will have the correct nose ends. Very much looking forward to this addition to my fleet...

John

The pics appear to show the pre production model with the incorrect longer nose ends. Note the large gap between the sandbox fillers and the grills. I take it the production ones will have the correct nose ends. Very much looking forward to this addition to my fleet...

John

Hi John,

The nose ends pictured are the ones that will be used, as they are the only versions that suit 37114 in this guise. Split box, no skirts, doors in situ and no high intensity headlight. The earlier 2007 37/0 versions with the smaller gap between the body and sandbox filler all had different nose styles, the EW&S 37114 version had a high intensity headlight so that was different.

I've measured the gap across several locos, and it's an extra 0.6mm which is actually less than I thought. Not perfect I know, but it's something we have no control over I'm afraid so it's a very small compromise. The older models have a gap of around 1.1mm to the 1.6mm on the later noses. So on 37114 this distance is 1.6mm. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has helped support Mickleover Model Railway Group in this venture. The future of our club and indeed the Derby Roundhouse show is being secured by your support, so a genuine thanks. And btw we are now down to 32 models..maybe we should have ordered more..lol

Alex

• Like 3

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand why 37114 has to be fitted with incorrect long nose ends when Bachmann have produced other 37/0s with shorter ones such as 37035, 37057 and 37068. Regardless of the actual measurement, the gap between sand filler and grills looks too big to me. I guess we will have to live with it.

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply. I don't understand why 37114 has to be fitted with incorrect long nose ends when Bachmann have produced other 37/0s with shorter ones such as 37035, 37057 and 37068. Regardless of the actual measurement, the gap between sand filler and grills looks too big to me. I guess we will have to live with it.

John

As Alex explained, the three 37s you mention have the (later) high intensity spotlight mounted between and just below the split headcode boxes. This is an integral part of the nose end tooling so cannot just be omitted. The model of 37114 doesn’t have this headlight so has to use different nose end tooling with the unslightly gap.

Personally I wish Bachmann had made the sandbox filler a bit bigger to hide the gap but they didn’t. Others probably prefer it the way it is.

Edited by brushman47544

Hi Alex,

John

Because all of those had headlights. Ours hasn't..In a nutshell! So we're using the suitable nose. There are at least 4 different 37/0 split box nose ends. Yes we could have made it with a headlight using the slimmer nose from EW&S 37114/057 but then that definitely wouldn't have been accurate because 114 didn't have a headlight in large logo, and they're not easy to remove/fill in. 035, 068 had plated doors with headlights so that's another tool. Plus the rarity value of this nose end because it's only been produced once before on 37049 a good few years back, now very scarce and it was mated to a body with the fictitious trench under the cantrail grilles amongst other errors, so for many modellers 37049 is only good for the nose ends. 

As to the why, who what when or where of the Bachmann nose end department several years ago I haven't a clue, we're just making the best use of existing tooling combinations. 

Alex

• Like 2

As Alex explained, the three 37s you mention have the (later) high intensity spotlight mounted between and just below the split headcode boxes. This is an integral part of the nose end tooling so cannot just be omitted. The model of 37114 doesn’t have this headlight so has to use different nose end tooling with the unslightly gap.

Personally I wish Bachmann had made the sandbox filler a bit bigger to hide the gap but they didn’t. Others probably prefer it the way it is.

The extended nose end issue, together with the recent changes made to the plastic chassis plate on 37 models -  the buffer shanks are now a part of the chassis plate, no longer being separately added parts, that in itself is not an issue, BUT they are now shorter in length also, which means they don't protrude far enough past the bottom of the nose edge. Photos shows the early type shanks on the right, the latest shorter ones on the left. 

post-2215-0-23359100-1516544367_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-73256400-1516544384_thumb.jpg