Tea Tray Depot in 7mm

Marc_tramt

While building my 00-scale layout Broad Street Viaduct (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78060-broad-street-viaduct-in-00/) I already had plans for building a 7mm scale layout with a Dutch theme. I am planning to built a former tramway station situated in Rotterdam. Until 1965 it was the starting point of several narrow gauge lines spreading out towards the south and west of the town and connecting the countryside with the city by means of diesel trams. The station was situated near the docks and als some NS class 600 (similar to BR class 08) operated around the station. So... when Dapol released there class 08 I bought one to convert to a Dutch version!

But the station will be my first project in 7mm so I thought I could do with some practice on a small scale, and somewhere to run my 08. A friend suggest to use a cheap Tea Tray, sold at a household store, as a baseboard for the layout. The total layout measures 2 tea trays or 27 by 90 cm (10.5 by 35 inches):

gallery_20699_4223_87644.jpeg

The complete layout. It is supposed to depict a small part of a larger depot. On the left will be an engine shed (suggesting the track is longer) and the backgrond will be formed of another large building.

The Tea Trays are covered with foamboard and the rails are glued on top of that,

More to follow soon.

• Like 1

And Yes, it really is a Two Tea Trays:

gallery_20699_4223_174863.jpg

The brickwork will be made oud of 3mm foamboard. I have drawn a brickwork pattern to scale by means of a simple CAd-program and glued that on the foamboard:

gallery_20699_4223_102594.jpg

After that it is just embossing and loads of patience: :sungum:

gallery_20699_4223_313011.jpg

Edited by Marc_tramt
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm afraid I quite neglected you guys here at RM Web. Last weekend a fellow modeller draw my attention to the fact that I had n't been posting about Tea Tray Depot on RM web, just on a Dutch site.

In the meantime..... tremendous progress has been made. The project is nearly finished, apart from some detalling and weathering:

gallery_20699_4223_2663.jpg

The building taking shape. All the walls are made out of blue foam (Extruded Polystyrene / XPS) like posted previously.

gallery_20699_4223_111230.jpg

A class 08 (looking rather clean) in the shed. The Stelcon slabs are als made of blue foam.

gallery_20699_4223_38399.jpg

Class 08 almost kissing the buffers.

Edited by Marc_tramt
  • Like 8

I like this little layout. I also like the fact that it's built on 2 tea trays! :)
I would never have thought of using such things as a base for a mini layout

We have 2 tea trays at home, sadly, they are both made of plastic, and are different sizes....
And Mrs Smith might have something (unpleasant) to say if I nicked them to play trains with ;)

I've always liked the idea of building several small modular sections of layout, that can be used in isolation, as mini layouts,
or joined together to make a larger layout. I know this has been done before on rmweb - but perhaps the tea tray concept might be a method of ensuring consistency in baseboard dimensions etc

Hmm, I fancy a cuppa for some reason now ;)

• Like 1