• RMweb Gold

Following this with interest Paul. 'Twas my old stomping ground. Lived in Pennington, had friends who lived in Fairlie Crescent, Galsworthy, Springwell and who went to either the 'Georges' or St. Monica's. When we were old enough it was usually the Walnut or the Warbreck! Happy days. Wouldn't be surprised if you knew some of them?

Les

Evening Les thanks very much, I grew up in Oxford Avenue but went to Litherland High, had quite a few mates in St Wilfred's though an we always used to hang around Silcocks field, do you still live around there? I only ever went to the Walnut once it's now a house, we used to drink in the White House, then we started drinking in the Nethy, what are your mates names and how old are they mate I've just turned 40 :(

One thing I've found since sitting the locos on the wood is the size the layout takes up or lack of space on the boards, the original plan was to have the Bootle branch as part of the layout but I think it'd be about 5-6' wide if I do so it might just have to be the shed area and sidings for now.

Thanks again Les and if your still local let me know :)

Cheers

Ooooh, proper plywood, drool drool.

Mike.

Not just plywood Mike it's external plywood ;)

Cheers

Hi Paul, now you've mentioned your age you wouldn't know them. I'm a generation older than yow! I'm still 'local-ish', on the Wirral.

I've followed all your previous 'opae' (Is that the plural of opus? I should know, I did Latin, but it was half a century ago! Ha,ha.)

I'm trying to model Arbroath shed in O, cause I was brought up up there, but I'll be following this with bated breath!

Cheers Les

• RMweb Gold

Following this thread with interest. I'm a Crosby lad myself and grew up on Coronation Road before leaving the country in 1976, but still get back quite often (I'm still a season ticket holder at Anfield). Lots of names and places being mentioned that I'm familiar with. We used to go and watch the steam locos at the crossing on St. John's Road in Waterloo on the Liverpool to Southport line when we were kids. Good luck with the project.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, now you've mentioned your age you wouldn't know them. I'm a generation older than yow! I'm still 'local-ish', on the Wirral.

I've followed all your previous 'opae' (Is that the plural of opus? I should know, I did Latin, but it was half a century ago! Ha,ha.)

I'm trying to model Arbroath shed in O, cause I was brought up up there, but I'll be following this with bated breath!

Cheers Les

Thanks Les, where about on the Wirral some lovely places over there and I'd happily move over there myself, in Walton at the mo (not the nick) but hoping to move up Southport ways fingers crossed.

Arbroath shed sounds interesting mate are you in the West Lancashire O Gauge Group? It's in St Monica's, I've been once but I must get back there. Now I've got the wood I'll hopefully be able to pick up the pace ;)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Following this thread with interest. I'm a Crosby lad myself and grew up on Coronation Road before leaving the country in 1976, but still get back quite often (I'm still a season ticket holder at Anfield). Lots of names and places being mentioned that I'm familiar with. We used to go and watch the steam locos at the crossing on St. John's Road in Waterloo on the Liverpool to Southport line when we were kids. Good luck with the project.

Well you can't go wrong with that name 'Kopite' ;) I've got a season ticket myself right behind the goal in the Kop but I've been letting my mate have it for the last 7 years as I lost a lot of interest in it but I can have it back when ever I want, I'll never give it up though as the waiting list is about 70 years haha :D

My gran used to take me to St Johns road but it was nothing exciting just 507/8's so pretty boring, Hall Road wasn't bad with the odd 73, even that's gone now and Crosby itself has really changed.

Thanks again mate

• RMweb Gold

Nothing with the layout done today apart from picking a very clever brain regarding building the depot building, but I have started numbering the other side of the 37

65727D53-205A-484C-A619-B3B3B1478D26_zps

7F31BF76-0F2E-4952-9636-D9C45E4C952C_zps

Also if anyone on here is on fb I've a group set up for my various weatgering projects if anyone's interested

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441351382898306/

Cheers

• Like 4

hi Paul, I'm in Bebington at the minute. Glad you're not in the nick .........yet! Yes, I've was at West Lancs for about a year before my heart attack (ok now), but I haven't been back since. Keep meaning to make an appearance. Some great lads there.

At the risk of taking over your blog, can I include a pic of my shed in progress? Hope it comes out right way up, the iPad usually twists it round for some reason???

Lespost-24654-0-39342700-1498578429_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Les Johnson
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

hi Paul, I'm in Bebington at the minute. Glad you're not in the nick .........yet! Yes, I've was at West Lancs for about a year before my heart attack (ok now), but I haven't been back since. Keep meaning to make an appearance. Some great lads there.

At the risk of taking over your blog, can I include a pic of my shed in progress? Hope it comes out right way up, the iPad usually twists it round for some reason???

Lesattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Glad you getting better mate I must get back there myself, I was in Bebington today with work lovely place :) post as many pics as you want Les it looks great, did you scratch build it yourself? I've been talking to Brian the scratch build builder all day about how I'll go about building the depot building, it's going to be nearly 4' long :O

Cheers

Glad you getting better mate I must get back there myself, I was in Bebington today with work lovely place :) post as many pics as you want Les it looks great, did you scratch build it yourself? I've been talking to Brian the scratch build builder all day about how I'll go about building the depot building, it's going to be nearly 4' long :O

Cheers

Yes, sheds all scratch-built. 5mm foam board, scribed brick walls, cardboard roof, York doors and column supports inside supporting smoke troughs (cardboard).Pits cut out and lined with plasicard. Measures 34" x 17". Still to make chimneys!

Where were you in Bebington today?

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, sheds all scratch-built. 5mm foam board, scribed brick walls, cardboard roof, York doors and column supports inside supporting smoke troughs (cardboard).Pits cut out and lined with plasicard. Measures 34" x 17". Still to make chimneys!

Where were you in Bebington today?

Les

Great stuff I love scratch build buildings, mine will be very much the same as Buxton but with a few tweaks and not quite as long, I was up not far from Port Sunlight around Church Road.

Cheers

Yes, some parts are great, but like everywhere Paul, some parts are grim! Better let you get back to modelling now, I've taken up enough of your time reminiscing! Just love your weathering techniques on your blues and green diesels, my steamers must be so alien to you, but each to his own. Good luck with your scratch building. Not as difficult as it seems just patience. Even built one of my 439 engines out of cardboard using kit as a template, but with cast fittings and bought in wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, some parts are great, but like everywhere Paul, some parts are grim! Better let you get back to modelling now, I've taken up enough of your time reminiscing! Just love your weathering techniques on your blues and green diesels, my steamers must be so alien to you, but each to his own. Good luck with your scratch building. Not as difficult as it seems just patience. Even built one of my 439 engines out of cardboard using kit as a template, but with cast fittings and bought in wheels.

Les you can reminisce we me as much as you want mate modelling time is grabbed at either 5.30 in the morning when everyone's in bed or after nine when everyone's in bed haha. I love my Diesels but I do want to weatgerca steamer (ahem kettle ;) ) one day as I won't my layout to be around the very end of steam with some scrapped locos in a siding or getting towed away, sorry steamer fans. One day I'll pluck up the courage to build a kit! Do you have a thread for your layout Les?

I've done a bit more tonight, I've painted, weathered and greased up the buffers, by firstly adding two coats of weathered black, whilst the second is still wet I've added a mix of black and dark earth powder then using a baby bud I've dabbed gloss varnish onto the buffer centres for grease with a tiny bit of black powder.

47881B57-E8CE-484E-813E-62D972DE9FA1_zps

9B633016-68D5-49EA-B63E-E23621D67FCB_zps

Thanks again

• Like 1

Looking good Paul. I must admit I prefer the green ones though. How on earth are you up at 5.30? How do you have permission from SWMBO to weather in the kitchen?

I don't have a thread , maybe one day? Can I just blast back into the past once more then I'll shut up? I suppose you're too young to remember dances(whatever happened to them) with 'live' bands, at places like Litherland Town Hall, English Martyrs, St. Luke's in Crosby, Orrell Park Ballroom, not forgetting all the clubs in Liverpool. Where did it all go wrong? Ha,ha

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Paul. I must admit I prefer the green ones though. How on earth are you up at 5.30? How do you have permission from SWMBO to weather in the kitchen?

I don't have a thread , maybe one day? Can I just blast back into the past once more then I'll shut up? I suppose you're too young to remember dances(whatever happened to them) with 'live' bands, at places like Litherland Town Hall, English Martyrs, St. Luke's in Crosby, Orrell Park Ballroom, not forgetting all the clubs in Liverpool. Where did it all go wrong? Ha,ha

Les

I remember going to my cousins wedding in Litherland town Hall, that's now a health centre and my lad goes to English Martyrs school, the clubs now closed and Alison's/Secrets is now retirement flats, Orrell Park ball room is still going though :)

As for the early starts I'm normall up at 4.30 I go the gym then home for 5.30, the mrs then goes off to work an I'll try an get an 30 min in before the baby wakes up ;) the mrs knows I use the Kitchen but she never sees me frantically trying to clean up powder spills haha, but until I get my mancave it'll do.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately Photobucket, which I use for my photos, want me to pay to upgrade for 3rd party hosting, this ain't gona happen as I only use it for Rmweb, so unfortunately unless I can find away of posting pics I won't be able to upload any in the future.

Sorry chaps :(

so unfortunately unless I can find away of posting pics I won't be able to upload any in the future.

If you can upload to PB then you can just as easily upload directly to RMWeb!

Dave

Hi Paul I just take photos with my iPhone, email them to myself then upas is our home PC, I find the pics never upload dice toy from my phone gallery for some reason to do with picture size.

Best regards

Craig

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul I just take photos with my iPhone, email them to myself then upas is our home PC, I find the pics never upload dice toy from my phone gallery for some reason to do with picture size.

Best regards

Craig

Thanks Craig I've emailed myself them in the past so that's one option just a pain in donkey :O

Cheers

Thanks Craig I've emailed myself them in the past so that's one option just a pain in donkey :O

Cheers

Paul it's free though and no one is going to try and shaft some dosh out of you later down the line