Hi, I currently have a Lima class 101 with missing front cab windows which I purchased from ebay. Does anyone know where I can purchase replacement flush glazing that will fit the front window frames on a Lima class 101? I have seen some websites which refer to flush glazing being used in upgrade projects however no supplier source is ever mentioned. If anybody could offer some advice it would be appreciated. The only flush glazing I have found is for a Lima 117, however the front cab windows are different. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Davie.post-30398-0-74730000-1493591958_thumb.jpg

Hi, many thanks for your reply. However according to Peters Spares, it seems that the SE12 pack is only for a Lima class 117 and so won't fit the front cab windows of a Lima class 101. For something so simple it's proving very near impossible to find a suitable solution.

SE fine cast do vac formed replacements, or keep looking for Hornby spares, after all the Hornby one is just the Lima version reissued with better wheels and a new motor.

• Agree 1

If all else fails, you could cut some windows yourself from clear plastic. If you make a mistake, it's not that difficult to cut another. I use Krystal Klear (a PVA-like glazing material) to glue windows in as it dries clear and will also fill any small gaps (e.g. at the corners) almost invisibly.

Hi, many thanks for your reply. However according to Peters Spares, it seems that the SE12 pack is only for a Lima class 117 and so won't fit the front cab windows of a Lima class 101. For something so simple it's proving very near impossible to find a suitable solution.

I suspect what was meant was,

1) the Lima 101 has since been re-issued by Hornby, and so it may be possible to find glazing made by Hornby for their product which is identical to the Lima one.

2) If there is an SE Finecast set it will be different and have a different reference to the one for the Lima 117, as the windows are a different shape and size between the two classes.

Given that you only want the front windows I'd agree with SR Man that a make your own  solution is favourite, I wouldn't have said this if you needed them for all the windows in the unit!

John.

• RMweb Gold

You can use an old CD case to make a window . As SR man stated use Klear or Varnish to fit

Never tried those but given their propensity to crack / shatter, aren't they hard to work with?

I have always glazed with much thinner material, plenty of food packaging offering a cheap way forward.

Roy

• Like 1

I've been using 0.5mm lexan sheet but 0.5mm perspex is probably better. One sheet will do alot of locos! A black marker pen around the edges gives a pleasing effect.

I've got a lima 101 in pieces at the moment so I'll check I haven't binned the front windows and get back to you.

Will

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your advice. I have purchased Krystal Klear so that I can glue a replacement set in place, however havr tried cutting some clear perspex sheet to shape but dont seem able to get it right. My hands are not the most steady so accurate work like is not very easy for me. Appreciate the advice.

If all else fails, you could cut some windows yourself from clear plastic. If you make a mistake, it's not that difficult to cut another. I use Krystal Klear (a PVA-like glazing material) to glue windows in as it dries clear and will also fill any small gaps (e.g. at the corners) almost invisibly.

I suspect what was meant was,

1) the Lima 101 has since been re-issued by Hornby, and so it may be possible to find glazing made by Hornby for their product which is identical to the Lima one.

2) If there is an SE Finecast set it will be different and have a different reference to the one for the Lima 117, as the windows are a different shape and size between the two classes.

Given that you only want the front windows I'd agree with SR Man that a make your own  solution is favourite, I wouldn't have said this if you needed them for all the windows in the unit!

John.

Thank you for your advice and I have tried cutting some clear perspex sheet to shape but don't seem able to get it right. My hands are not the most steady so accurate work like is not very easy for me. Your first option is most preferred to me, however Hornby don't seem to stock this part as a spare & no stockist has this available to purchase either. Hopefully something will turn up! Thanks again

I've been using 0.5mm lexan sheet but 0.5mm perspex is probably better. One sheet will do alot of locos! A black marker pen around the edges gives a pleasing effect.

I've got a lima 101 in pieces at the moment so I'll check I haven't binned the front windows and get back to you.

Will

Hi, I have tried cutting some clear perspex sheet to shape but don't seem able to get it right. My hands are not the most steady so accurate work like is not very easy for me. However if you were able to source spare windows from your own class 101 that would be most helpful & solve my problems completely! The trick is trying to extract the front windows without them shattering. I purchased a scrap donor body, but cracked the windows while trying to remove them. It may just have been down to my lack of skill though!

• RMweb Gold

you could try contacting Shawplan and enquire if they have any plan to do a laser glazing set for the 101. If not you could find a company and get some laser cut for yourself.

Or find a friendly fellow modeller with a 101 and steady hands?

Roy

Hi, I have tried cutting some clear perspex sheet to shape but don't seem able to get it right. My hands are not the most steady so accurate work like is not very easy for me. However if you were able to source spare windows from your own class 101 that would be most helpful & solve my problems completely! The trick is trying to extract the front windows without them shattering. I purchased a scrap donor body, but cracked the windows while trying to remove them. It may just have been down to my lack of skill though!

Most of the front winscreens on my Lima 101's were fixed with just a little glue and were easy to push out with light finger pressure.

However my favourite one, a NSE liveried unit, had lots of glue. Managed to crack both windscreen pillars and part of the body.  And the glazing still split!

Very much a case of being lucky - not your lack of skill! 

you could try contacting Shawplan and enquire if they have any plan to do a laser glazing set for the 101. If not you could find a company and get some laser cut for yourself.

Thank you for that, will give that a try and see how I get on.

Most of the front winscreens on my Lima 101's were fixed with just a little glue and were easy to push out with light finger pressure.

However my favourite one, a NSE liveried unit, had lots of glue. Managed to crack both windscreen pillars and part of the body.  And the glazing still split!

Very much a case of being lucky - not your lack of skill!

Thank you for letting me know, just wish the donor I obtained had been easy to strip. Pity luck wasn't on my side here in being able to buy a spare set from you haha.

I used to use shirt box clear covers (do business shirts still come in those sorts of boxes?). They could be cut with sharp scissors and were still thick enough not to warp or distort.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 years later...

I've got a set to try out... they look pretty straightforward to fit. Being smaller than the overscale originals some filler will be needed.

It's funny that I prefer the window size on the lima model to the real thing.

Will

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I've got a set to try out... they look pretty straightforward to fit. Being smaller than the overscale originals some filler will be needed.

It's funny that I prefer the window size on the lima model to the real thing.

Will

Will - TBH I thought the front window depth was the only thing (cosmetically) that let the Lima model down (the side windows and frames are excellent - in many ways better than Bachmann). On the green liveried models it wasn't that noticable.  But the full yellow ends versions made the incorrect window size more apparent. It's only a fraction but it screamed at me!post-17874-0-72393300-1406825885-1.jpg.99d65d93a6ca2ed9fe0759cafb7038a5.jpg

Edited by cravensdmufan
Wording
  • Like 2

Yep. Totally agree.

I haven't fully decided whether to keep my lima project on the go or change to Bachmann. I have bits n pieces of both in my projects box so will have a play one day.

To my eyes the lima body is better side on and Bachmann head on. Tbh both might benefit from the front window etches.

• Agree 1

I thought i may get a couple of Shawplan's Extreme Etchings to do my two remaining Lima units.  I do like the liveries that they are in.

Just worried that when I cut the Lima windows out, the hole will naturally be too big for the new etch,  So would it be best to glue strips of plasticard on the inside to reduce the aperture?  Then use filler for any gaps?  Never done this sort of surgery before!  But at least the two models I'm doing will have a block of black around the windows which hopefully may disguise any dodgy handywork!

Now thinking about it all - will I bother....?!  The black window surrounds do do a lot to disguise the window depth!

I've a feeling the project may stay on the very long "to do" list!

But If I do get round to it I will update on here!

PICT0004_(9).JPG

PICT0002.JPG

• Like 2