Eliminating constant restarts on Howes sound

Albie the plumber

Hi folks ,

I've got a Bachmann class 150 sprinter with Howes V3.5 sounds .

Nothing wrong with the sounds as such but should the unit lose power over points or dirty track, the unit goes through a tedious restart sequence .

This also happened with an 08 i used to own that also had the Howes sound treatment .

I'm pretty sure that i read an article on this very forum a good while back saying that a quick CV value change was all that was needed to eliminate

such an occurrence and for the engine sounds to resume to the same power level when the 'hand of God' intervened .

Suffice to say, I can't find the original post for the life of me .

I wondered if anyone else out there knows which CV needs to be accessed and to what value .

Thanks in advance

Alberto.

Hi Albie

Try setting CV124 = 6   this should stop the locos going through the start-up sequence when power is momentarily lost etc

HTH

Ken

Does CV 124 not apply to v3.5 ESU chips only? I think it's different for v4, isn't it? Will check my CV list, but someone may well beat me to it in the meantime.

• RMweb Gold

Does CV 124 not apply to v3.5 ESU chips only? I think it's different for v4, isn't it? Will check my CV list, but someone may well beat me to it in the meantime.

Looks like it is CV124 on v4 chips but it may be a different value.... a value of 4 to activate bit 2 is right for V4 - oh and for 3.5 too, have checked the manuals

But the total value for cv124 will depend on what other bits in cv124 Bryan at Howes has assigned to the project - will have a look at some later, it would serve me well to sort this out to prevent continual restarts too - although I think on some Howes projects this is already configured to prevent restarts - but perhaps not all

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So my Howes class 20s on v3.5 chips have a value of 6 on cv124 - so that's bits 1 & 2 enabled. If power is applied at the time they lose pickup then they resume at that power level - but if they are at tick over they go through restart

Back later once I have tested more - and also sorted out correct direction of travel for the 20s, cab first is forwards in my lexicon - and travelling to the right based on ECoS direction arrows\, that's tinkering with CV29 IIRC

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So been having a play

With the Howes Class 45 project on a V3.5 chip ....cv124 set to 6 has the desired effect

Ditto on a V4 chip with the same project....CV124 set to 4 and CV122 set to 2 has the desired effect

So perhaps worth trying those settings - with the usual caveat to note original settings so you can revert to them if changes are not effective

Hope that helps

Phil

So been having a play

With the Howes Class 45 project on a V3.5 chip ....cv124 set to 6 has the desired effect

Ditto on a V4 chip with the same project....CV124 set to 4 and CV122 set to 2 has the desired effect

So perhaps worth trying those settings - with the usual caveat to note original settings so you can revert to them if changes are not effective

Hope that helps

Phil

Many thanks Phil. Very useful information that.

Just out of interest - Like many people I suspect, I now have a mixed fleet of v3.5 and v4 ESU chips. Is there a quick way of determining which is which by checking CVs, for example? And yes, I know I should have kept a record.  :no: I know sound quality is a good guide, but it would be good if there was a quick sure-fire of checking.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

V3.5 - 100 ohm speaker

V4 - 4 ohm speaker

As an ECoS user I have an easy chip read function....do you have access to similar?

I also keep a database of all my locos plus their chips together with any CVs I have amended for future reference - just in case!

There are also visual differences between a v3.5 and a v4

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

V3.5 - 100 ohm speaker

V4 - 4 ohm speaker

As an ECoS user I have an easy chip read function....do you have access to similar?

There are also visual differences.....

Phil

Hi Phil,

I was wondering whether there is a way of telling the difference without removing the body, i.e. via the CVs.

Yes, I'm an ECoS user too (and a very happy one too).

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

I was wondering whether there is a way of telling the difference without removing the body, i.e. via the CVs.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Would you like me to post a blow by blow process on ECoS when I have it in front of me this evening?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

Cheers

Dave

The V3.5 has a maximum volume setting of 64

The V4 has a maximum volume setting of 192

You could try setting it to the latter and see if there is any difference .

However....... certain V4 projects ( Legomanbiffo comes to mind ) require you to set certain other CV's to a certain value before attempting to alter the volume .

Sorry if its complicated matters . 

CV124 controls Aux Settings - when set to 6 for V3.5's stores function and current speed settings - hence no re-starting if power is momentarily lost.

CV124 on a  Lok4  is Extended Configuration #2 -  by entering 6 into it - will result in "enabling decoder lock via CV15-16 &  prime mover start up delay"    no settings avail for "storing any speed or function settings".

There may be a different CV on the Lok 4 that will do the same as CV124 on a V3.5 - but I've yet to find it ......   Legoman may well have the answer...................

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

CV124 controls Aux Settings - when set to 6 for V3.5's stores function and current speed settings - hence no re-starting if power is momentarily lost.

CV124 on a  Lok4  is Extended Configuration #2 -  by entering 6 into it - will result in "enabling decoder lock via CV15-16 &  prime mover start up delay"    no settings avail for "storing any speed or function settings".

There may be a different CV on the Lok 4 that will do the same as CV124 on a V3.5 - but I've yet to find it ......   Legoman may well have the answer...................

As above - trial and error got me to this ...on a V4 chip with the same project....CV124 set to 4 and CV122 set to 2 has the desired effect

Phil

As above - trial and error got me to this ...on a V4 chip with the same project....CV124 set to 4 and CV122 set to 2 has the desired effect

Phil

Phil

Thanks for the info, I'll need to try out these settings on a Lok 4.  I'm a bit puzzled that these settings are achieving the desired result -  as setting Bit 2 ON (4) in CV 124 -  enables "prime mover start up delay"  and CV122 is not even listed according to the Lok 4 manual ? but apparently, there are also some errors in said manual..........? But if it works it works regardless......................

Regards

Ken

• RMweb Gold

Phil

Thanks for the info, I'll need to try out these settings on a Lok 4.  I'm a bit puzzled that these settings are achieving the desired result -  as setting Bit 2 ON (4) in CV 124 -  enables "prime mover start up delay"  and CV122 is not even listed according to the Lok 4 manual ? but apparently, there are also some errors in said manual..........? But if it works it works regardless......................

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

V4 manual I have - downloaded from ESU website yesterday - says CV122 is for status storage

So possibly makes sense - here is what manual says...

15.2. Saving the status of functions LokSound decoders can store the current operational settings. Thus the decoder continues running the locomotive as before after a power interruption, if so desired. The following data can be stored: Status of functions: Store the information regarding which functions were switched on or off and switches them accordingly once power is restored. Current speed: If it is stored then the locomotive will continue at this speed after a power interruption disregarding what the command station may transmit. CV 122 is responsible for this. Storing of the status of functions is turned on with bit 0, speed with bit 1.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Ken

V4 manual I have - downloaded from ESU website yesterday - says CV122 is for status storage

So possibly makes sense - here is what manual says...

15.2. Saving the status of functions LokSound decoders can store the current operational settings. Thus the decoder continues running the locomotive as before after a power interruption, if so desired. The following data can be stored: Status of functions: Store the information regarding which functions were switched on or off and switches them accordingly once power is restored. Current speed: If it is stored then the locomotive will continue at this speed after a power interruption disregarding what the command station may transmit. CV 122 is responsible for this. Storing of the status of functions is turned on with bit 0, speed with bit 1.

Cheers

Phil

Excellent - so my V4 manual (edition 2) must be out of date, it's obviously been revised, with yours downloaded just yesterday.................

Many thanks

Ken

• 1 year later...