A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

Track (plain, points & fishplates) was bought yesterday, both 16.5mm and 9mm.  Plus a couple more NG wagon chassis and some couplings.

I'm debating whether to use a couple of layers of 5mm foam board to raise the standard gauge up a bit. this will provide a visual break between the lines, plus ease the incline to the exchange siding.

Just not sure how stable the foam bard will be long term.

Need to plan the routes of the WIT as well, so as not to foul any other track work, or the FY exits, and decide where to put the control switches (inside the layout, accessed through a side hole, or outside on a small shelf).

Good job I'm not being filmed - imagine that added pressure....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The standard gauge track is cut to shape and correctly fishplated for DC. I need to obtain some cork sheet on which to lay the track, then create the 10mm rise for the wagon carrying wagon transfer facility. After that it's wiring and point control ( surface mounted WIT, hence the need for the cork), then ballasting and first fix scenery.

post-7025-0-98890600-1520168146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

DM stands for Defence Munitions...

For the navy, they used to be RNADs. Royal Naval Armaments Depots, until they got privatised or agencyed, I don't know what the other services had. ISTR that there has been mention of Dean Hill on this thread and that was a RNAD.

• RMweb Gold

More progress in various areas.

The two layers of foamboard are stuck down, and the cork sheet marked for the WIT tubes.

post-7025-0-60432700-1520696704_thumb.jpg

The ground level underground doorway has been clearance tested with the 08.

post-7025-0-86708600-1520696816_thumb.jpg

The office block has had a coat of primer.

post-7025-0-37049400-1520696857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

#10,000 :)

A quick video of the transporter wagon being loaded.

I need to add some support under the wagon's end to prevent it dropping - I had already planned on adding some fixed guides to ensure track alignment so this will all be done once the tracks are fixed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

#10,000 :)

A quick video of the transporter wagon being loaded.

I need to add some support under the wagon's end to prevent it dropping - I had already planned on adding some fixed guides to ensure track alignment so this will all be done once the tracks are fixed.

Very nice Stu. Can you remove the hook from the wagon coupling so that it doesn't bash the NG loco, or do you need hooks at both ends - in which case a barrier wagon might work?

Meanwhile, how about this for your next project?

• Like 1