Class 56 seized now no lights!

Haven't run my Hornby class 56 for around 6/7 months and in that time it seems to have seized completely. The motor tries to turn but the loco just doesn't move. Has any one else come across this? Do I just need some oil on the axles or could it be a sign of Mazak problems? The body comes off fine and there's no visible distortion. I've got another 56 that runs fine and that hasn't been ages either.
Appreciate any advice.
Steve.

Edited by sb67

try disconnecting the drive shafts and then try running the motor, if the motor runs freely then try stripping down the gear towers and cleaning all the old grease from the gears. Whilst doing this check all the gears for damage, once done put back the gears and relubricate.

Haven't run my Hornby class 56 for around 6/7 months and in that time it seems to have seized completely. The motor tries to turn but the loco just doesn't move. Has any one else come across this? Do I just need some oil on the axles or could it be a sign of Mazak problems? The body comes off fine and there's no visible distortion. I've got another 56 that runs fine and that hasn't been ages either.

Appreciate any advice.

Steve.

Steve

Had exactly the same problem with some Hornby 50's and a 56.  Most likely the problem is the worm drive gear in one or both bogie towers are seized up in their bearings. Removing the clip at the top of the bogie moulding will release the worm and bearings, free off the bearings until the worm can turn freely in it's bearings and then lubricate with some light oil or grease. The grease used in the factory dries up over a period, especially if the loco is not run regularly. Re-assembly can be a little tricky getting the drive shaft spline fit back together................ 

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Cheers guys. I'm not scared to have a go but is there any instructions anywhere on the web?

Steve.

Try the Hornby website where you can download exploded diagrams.  For a bit of re-assurance, note the order you took things apart in and re-assemble them in reverse order.  Hornby design models to be user serviceable, and you shouldn't run into too much trouble but take care not to lose small bits.  If you do go astray, there's plenty help here!

if you go onto the Hornby website you can download a copy of the service sheets with an exploaded diagram of most locos, and you could try You tube for how to strip a loco. Bare in mind that most modern locos share a similar design with central can motor and flywheel, drive shafts and gear towers.

Steve

Had exactly the same problem with some Hornby 50's and a 56.  Most likely the problem is the worm drive gear in one or both bogie towers are seized up in their bearings. Removing the clip at the top of the bogie moulding will release the worm and bearings, free off the bearings until the worm can turn freely in it's bearings and then lubricate with some light oil or grease. The grease used in the factory dries up over a period, especially if the loco is not run regularly. Re-assembly can be a little tricky getting the drive shaft spline fit back together................ 

HTH

Ken

Had exactly the same issue with mine - soloution was as ken describes.

• 2 months later...

As described in the quote below. The clip on cover over the worm at the top of the bogie gear tower retains the bogie in the block, and as the bogie drops out the drive shaft will disengage. Removing this cover also gives access to the worm and worm shaft bearings, the most likely components that will require clean up to free the drive train, so it's entirely necessary to do this.

...Removing the clip at the top of the bogie moulding will release the worm and bearings...

post-24-0-19244100-1500614422.jpg

With a bit of trial and error I cautiously managed to get the clip off and found that these things had seized, not sure what they are called though. I cleaned a load of excess gunk off and re-oiled them and everything now works fine. 

Just need to sort out the springy contacts for the lights as they are not working consistently.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I wouldn't have known what to do if it wasn't for the help and advice on here, I'm really pleased I've got my loco back.

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And the other bit is a constant velocity (CV) joint in a drive shaft.

Glad your loco is now running ok, and you should have a bit more confidence to 'have a go' if thing go wrong with anything else.  Trouble is, you'll start to see ways of improving and altering things to make them run better or look more realistic, and if you're not careful you'll become a modeller.  We all started experimenting with what we thought were harmless social repairs and improvements because our friends were doing it and we wanted to fit in and look cool, and we all thought we could give it up any time we wanted, but we are all hooked, hopeless pathetic addicts.  Look at us, and be warned...

• Like 5

And the other bit is a constant velocity (CV) joint in a drive shaft.

Glad your loco is now running ok, and you should have a bit more confidence to 'have a go' if thing go wrong with anything else.  Trouble is, you'll start to see ways of improving and altering things to make them run better or look more realistic, and if you're not careful you'll become a modeller.  We all started experimenting with what we thought were harmless social repairs and improvements because our friends were doing it and we wanted to fit in and look cool, and we all thought we could give it up any time we wanted, but we are all hooked, hopeless pathetic addicts.  Look at us, and be warned...

I think I'm on that slippery slope already! bought a rolling road a few months ago and I'm getting sidetracked with this DCC thing, tweaking settings and stuff and trying to fine tune things, where wiil it all end!

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I'm on that slippery slope already! bought a rolling road a few months ago and I'm getting sidetracked with this DCC thing, tweaking settings and stuff and trying to fine tune things, where wiil it all end!

Steve.

You're one of us.  One of us, one of us...

And the other bit is a constant velocity (CV) joint in a drive shaft.....

Hmmm, maybe a bit pedantic, but could I suggest it's a universal joint rather than a CV.....at least that's what they taught us in CSE Motor Vehicle Engineering.... :scratchhead:

Edited by steviesparx

Has anybody got any tips on putting the body back on and lining up the spring contacts that make the lights work. I get them to work then tighten the securing screws on the body and they don't work, then undo it get them to work and hey presto the other end doesn't work, frustrating to say the least! 

Steve.

Has anybody got any tips on putting the body back on and lining up the spring contacts that make the lights work. I get them to work then tighten the securing screws on the body and they don't work, then undo it get them to work and hey presto the other end doesn't work, frustrating to say the least! 

Steve.

Yes been there had the same issues. It can be a real PITA  !  You have to play around/adjust the springy contacts till you get a working result. If you don't plan to take the body off/on a lot, a permanent fix is to hard wire them using short lengths of wire - no more iffy lights ! 

I thought of hard wiring them but I want to be able to take the body off, annoying thing is I cant see where they are touching in order to adjust them. I'll keep trying.

Steve.

I can attest to the trial and error approach, had a job and a half to get the lights on my 56 working again after having the body off. Shouting "work, dammit" may have helped, but results are inconclusive.

One thing I did do was to wipe over the contacts to make sure there wasn't a dirty patch that the spring was contacting with - again though it's inconclusive whether that helped or not.