A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

East Hants Light Railway

Hi all,

I have bought the book and I am reading it in great eagerness. I love Ian Rice's writings and musings and have been inspired by his and others in the wild swan series. About 10 years ago or so, I built a 009 layout that was circular, called the East Hants Light Railway. It depicted a narrow gauge light railway that connected the market towns of Petersfield and Alton. My skills and attitudes towards modelling have changed dramatically since then, as has my exhibition experiences.

I have come to the conclusion that I lack the finesse to make superb rolling stock. I am great at detailing etc, but I just can't get the blighters to run smoothly or efficiently. There are only so many kits that you can throw in the bin. Therefore, highly detailed rtr is the approach I now take. Fiddling around with couplings is also a bugbear, so will be using tried and tested methods.

Track building is also a problem for me, so I will be using detailed rtr.

What has come a long way is my scenic efforts. I happened to be at an exhibition where the Gravetts were giving scenic demos. They have now hooked me on postiche and static fibres.

What I am proposing is a depiction of a terminus on the line. I want it to run superbly. I want it to look as if I have built the stock and track myself, but have cheated, however, the heart of the cameo, as mr rice so clearly puts is that exquisite and intricate detail within the scene. It will be 009 and the line is a 2'3" gauge.

I hope that this is ok and in the spirit of the competition, whilst allowing for my modelling skills and limitations.

Matt

• Like 3

Ok, baseboards complete. I am now planning the track layout, point motors, uncoupling etc. I have acquired 4 cobalt motors from a friend, but need one more. Unfortunately I need one more operating wire etc. for one if the motors. I was then looking at uncoupling electromagnets, to see what was out there. I saw a photo of the peco version. I thought it looked like a point motor cut in two. So I grabbed an old glued up point motor cut it in two and hey presto, a working electromagnet. I will superglue the core into the hole so it doesn't drop out during transport. However, it does mean I save a few quid.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been building up stock. I have a 2-6-2 minitrains Baldwin, I have a o&k outside framed diesel. I picked up a leek and manifold kit and a kit for converting into a railbus. This should be more than enough stock but I do like the look of the Bachmann Baldwin due to be released soon.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...