Using BBC iPlayer to keep programmes indefintely.

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Anyone Know the best method for making a permanent copy of an iPlayer programme?

If you record the programme off air it is on your DVR for ever but most BBC programmes are only on the iPlayer for a month but I want to keep a programme longer than that

I suppose I could go scart to scart or maybe via Toslink and record to second DVR (I have two) whilst streaming it via the first?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Usually iPlayer content is not allowed to be downloaded under the licence agreement to be stored longer than the time given on the website. Not sure its that easy to save to other devices but there will be far more savvy people than me.

You can download the iPlayer file from the beeb to watch later but it has the same DRM (e.g. 30 days) as normal streaming. At the end of the 30 days it deletes itself.

There are tools out there to convert to other formats and as a consequence the DRM goes out the window.

If I could convert it to a DVD that would do. (If I had saved it to the HDD on the recorder I could do that quite legally) but I missed the programme and it's not repeated!

I found a convertor program but the trial version was so strangled it was useless!

Why do software houses do that? If I can't use it properly (at least once) I can't ascertain if it will do what I want, so no sale!

I have full versions of several pieces of software that after trying them fully have bought at the end of a trial period.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I've just tried another utility (latest Win 10 version) which claims to be able to burn a BBC iplayer file to DVD and when I try to do it, it complains "iTunes not installed" ????

iTunes isn't mentioned on the website.

No wonder these people don't want you to try a "full" version, you would find out just how crap they really are. :jester:

Keith

• Administrators

I found a convertor program but the trial version was so strangled it was useless!

Why do software houses do that? If I can't use it properly (at least once) I can't ascertain if it will do what I want, so no sale!

I have full versions of several pieces of software that after trying them fully have bought at the end of a trial period.

Since what you are trying to do is breech the BBC licence agreement (you can argue whether this is fair or not elsewhere) then it's hardly a surprise software manufacturers aren't going to trust you to say "lovely software, I must buy a copy even though the free version I have does the job".

Unlike downloading from Youtube, where copyright issues may exist or not dependant on content, it is an offence under the law to bypass the DRM arrangements the BBC chose to use. It breaks th BBC terms of you using Iplayer and your TV licence, but I am unaware if this has been tested in court. There are video screen grabbing software that can work on Iplayer, but  advising on one may be very problematic.

Stephen

• Administrators

There are video screen grabbing software that can work on Iplayer, but  advising on one may be very problematic.

Especially on a public forum which is frequented by several people who work for the BBC...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised you would want to record a BBC programme, let alone keep it....

Much better than all that Shy trash

24hrs without a new programme? - even the BBC is better than that, that's why Murdoch's evil empire got the push some time back!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Or have a look on the BBC Store to see if it's available.

https://store.bbc.com/

Unfortunately not on yet.

Previous series can be downloaded an episode at a time for £1.89 - £2.99 each or £10.99 for the whole series on DVD.

Seem quite reasonable prices. I'll forget the attempt to circumvent the DRM and just wait!

Keith

If you have a Tivo box on Virgin any programme can be recorded and saved to the hard drive and set as permanent to keep it.

I assume the Sky version does the same. With Virgin you can access any shown program within the Iplayer limit and record it. Some film content will not record due to copyright conditions.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

If you have a Tivo box on Virgin any programme can be recorded and saved to the hard drive and set as permanent to keep it.

I assume the Sky version does the same. With Virgin you can access any shown program within the Iplayer limit and record it. Some film content will not record due to copyright conditions.

Stephen

On the Beeb (or ITV or any other free to air broadcaster), you can record any program, including films in HD onto a HDD and keep it if you do it from an original, over the air/satellite broadcast.

The DRM time limit only comes into play on recording from iPlayer & similar catch up services.

I would suggest that if you can circumvent the time limit of the DRM with a TiVo it is as illegal as what I was trying to do, unless you are paying for the privilege!

I'm using Freesat HD and Freeview HD+ recorders (no subscription)

You can also make one HD copy (or infinite SD copies) onto Blu-ray/DVD for commercial channels but usually as many as you like from the Beebs own programmes.

(The one copy HD restriction is indicated by a flag alongside the programme title on my recorder)

Keith

On the recordings from a BBC program, you are not legally meant to record any output, but the Tivo service has a license to allow the recording to their HD. With all copyright material the issue is reuse for profit . However in the UK so far there is no opt out like the States where a recording can be made for home study purposes, plus personal viewing. BBC material belongs to them, plain, simple and backed up by law.

They do deal in a friendly way with archive type old recordings recovered from listeners . but a waver is still signed for each found item.

With Video the trust is not so certain as the policy now is to retail all archive content and maintain copyright for the full duration the law allows. This is not to you, it is to stop anybody ripping them off.

The conditions the BBC apply were becoming outdated by digital media generally as Parliament has to decide on this and alterations can take years. In amongst the Licensing updates for modern media is the reiteration of the basics, the BBC own all output, not cop-outs or excuses.

Look how long it took to catch up with VCR recordings! The current minefield for them is youtube..........

So be very wary of advising on any public forum as to how to record items.

Personally i think copyright should be in stages towards it's end and the holder charged at each point is reached to maintain the rights, and if they retain rights they must be forced to make the material available, not sit on it, at penalty of copyright fines or complete loss.

What happens with films etc is they can at the moment stand in cans for the entire copyright life, and nobody can access them!

The BBC have a foul record of looking after work from years ago, citing cost, and space, or covering up they were not bothered! It is very different now, they keep the lot.

Any way all the options for recording are openly on the net should you wish to look out of interest..........

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

• RMweb Premium

HDD TV recorders are a fact of life and the broadcasters accept that and are extremely unlikely to (never?) try and stop people using them.

In that case why do the BBC not enforce the "One HD BluRay/DVD Recording from HDDs"?

Their system allows as many as you want (whether it is legal or not) whereas the commercials (inc C4, also a public corporation) set the DRM flags to one only and by implication, legalising it.

Both sets of broadcasters could, if they desired, completely stop the making of permanent copies from the "temporary" HDD recordings if they wanted, by setting the DRM flags.

Keith

Don't forget the holder of copyright has the right to issue wavers on any part of the work, the whole work, issue conditions, or sell the rights to others. They can decide to turn a blind eye to it if they wish. Copyright law does not tell the holders what to do with the rights. It is up to them.

The nasty ones can the the Lawyers in charge of an authors estate, like HG Wells or Mr Heath Robinson who act very thoroughly indeed for the estates,

The BBC is very odd in what they claim is copyright, and then lose recordings willy nilly, even leaving the authors of transmitted work without a recording of the material.

An oddity the other way that is not well known is that the BBC have a right in the BBC charter to use any artistic or other material they choose to transmit, without reference or payment to the rights holder, but they can only do it once, and rarely invoke the clause, in fear of putting off submissions to broadcast.

There can't be any issue with digital recorders and live content these days, it is the Iplayer that causes the problems, but I cannot see why as the content is the same as just broadcast... so what's the problem.

• Administrators

There can't be any issue with digital recorders and live content these days, it is the Iplayer that causes the problems, but I cannot see why as the content is the same as just broadcast... so what's the problem.

Broadcast content has a limited range - basically just in the UK. Anything on the web goes worldwide and if everyone was allowed to rip it off, the BBC would lose valuable overseas sales. It all depends if you are happy with non-licence fee payers watching the content without paying for it.

I think the serious hacker would record from the live feed anyway, rather than the Iplayer, which is not available outside the UK. Nobody is going to stop an image being recorded in some way or another, most of the DRM is a smoke screen to scare off the more amateur copyists.

I have seen in the past the desperate using a video camera on the screen!...although in one case with deception in mind before the days of digital editing, to produce "real" UFO footage that was really quite good, a darkened room, a tv with VCR film on it, and a camera, and a man with a torch shining on to the screen to reflect the light.... makes lights in the sky appear, move and disappear very easily!! Then send the video to the gullible on tv programmes! You could even make ghosts that way, with the refection of the person on the screen giving the classic transparent look, and no technology involved!

Stephen