June 2017 -800 edition

Reddibus

Yes, sadly it is missing.

Can you complete it for us here, Andy?.......

This was my ending,

Pencarne has been fun to Build and operate, but time moves on and a new project beckons, so as they say, watch this space.

but Steve has changed a bit I think saying; As the Old....saying goes, watch this space.

Steve is printing a bit next Month to put it right. hahah.

Congratulations to the Railway Modeller on reaching 800 editions. That is a long slog with continued commitment from the editorial team and owners. None of the other magazines can match its longevity ....

Model Railroader celebrated it's 1,000th edition with the April 2017 Issue.

But I assume you meant just the British mags. ;)

Although not an avid buyer myself, of the current UK "big four" mags, I do prefer the Modeller over the rest. 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

I bought this today. Couple of initial thoughts...

I liked the dock lay out.

In the booklet, it's interesting how early copies showed modellers with their models on the cover. This has obviously changed to just photos of the models but the early ones have a certain charm.

Looking at some models from the 50s and 60s they look very similar to layouts that get featured today.

The way the discussion about coal staithes is written was quaint. It reads like a throwback to an earlier era. I can't work out of that's deliberate or not.

• RMweb Premium

Although not an avid buyer myself, of the current UK "big four" mags, I do prefer the Modeller over the rest. 

But RM must have the record for fewest editors for model railway magazines per length of publication. Four since 1949 (I think someone else besides CJF, edited the first handful of issues, if not then 3).

I think Model Engineer holds the record, for the founding owner was editor for about 50 years IIRC.

But RM must have the record for fewest editors for model railway magazines per length of publication. Four since 1949 (I think someone else besides CJF, edited the first handful of issues, if not then 3).

Yes, G H Lake edited the first four issues then apparently left because Ian Allan wanted to switch from bi-monthly to monthly production. In the event, that didn't happen until issue 13, when PECO took over.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, G H Lake edited the first four issues then apparently left because Ian Allan wanted to switch from bi-monthly to monthly production. In the event, that didn't happen until issue 13, when PECO took over.

What happened between issue 4 & 13? Was CJF editor, then moved to Beer with the mag?

What happened between issue 4 & 13? Was CJF editor, then moved to Beer with the mag?

Yes, CJF edited the magazine in his spare time (IIRC) then when PECO took over Sidney Pritchard invited him to an informal interview at Waterloo Station. Owing to problems with the Underground, CJF was late and arrived just as Mr P's train back to Devon was pulling out. Mr. P yelled out of the moving window "Do you want to move to Devon and edit the magazine full time?" and CJF running alongside  just had time to shout "Yes" before they got to the end of the platform!

As a boy, reading CJF's track plans books I always used to think what a good job it must be to be paid to sit and draw track plans! Only in later years, of course, did I realise there was more to it than that but still, not a bad job to have!

Incidentally, my oldest copy of RM (August 1954) has 23 editorial pages, which is 9 fewer pages than the 'On the Rails' booklet in the current issue!

How many pages were there in the original issue, I wonder? Was it less than the 16 pages of the "800 issues" supplement?

I still have the first copy my father bought for me, Volume 2 No. 8 Jan-Feb 1951. Inside the front cover is an advert for Graham Farish with their new Pullman coaches and the Formo flexible track which my father and I used on our railway and it had proper 4mm scale sleeper spacing. Inside the back cover is an advert from Hattons, then at 136 Smithdown Road - I remember it well! Amongst the editorial pages there is a constructional article about building a Great Central Signal box by a certain Peter Denny. Of course CJF and Peter were both members of the Model Railway Club at that time and we know that in time Peter followed CJF to the West Country where their friendship led to more than 20 years worth of great articles in the Railway Modeller. Oh memories..................

• Like 1

Was it obligatory to smoke a pipe to be a proper railway modeler back then?

Yep, it looks like it.

Luckily smokey pipes went out of fashion when smokey locomotives were removed from the railways - a double bubble for cleaner air.

;-)

G.

Does any one remember the Nnorth Devonshire layout I think it was Ken Norwood (or something similar) who built it? I still miss the list of locos that appeared with every layout.

T

Remember it very well, but those of a certain age always will. The railway began in Edinburgh where Ken Northwood resided during the late 1940's. Several other well known modellers including John Charman and P D Hancock were also involved in it's early days. The aim was always perfect running and Ken's "Eaton Mascot Hall" was a magnificent loco. After his retirement, Ken and the North Devonshire moved to the West Country. As well as the Railway Modeller, the layout and its stock appeared in several other publications.

Next week, I am happy to scan and send some copies of early articles if you would like?

Does any one remember the Nnorth Devonshire layout I think it was Ken Norwood (or something similar) who built it? I still miss the list of locos that appeared with every layout.

T

Remember it very well, but those of a certain age always will. The railway began in Edinburgh where Ken Northwood resided during the late 1940's. Several other well known modellers including John Charman and P D Hancock were also involved in it's early days. The aim was always perfect running and Ken's "Eaton Mascot Hall" was a magnificent loco. After his retirement, Ken and the North Devonshire moved to the West Country. As well as the Railway Modeller, the layout and its stock appeared in several other publications.

Next week, I am happy to scan and send some copies of early articles if you would like?

He finally lived in Buckfastleigh, and I was lucky enough to visit the Layout. I happened to be walking my Dog and met Ken, he invited me back the next day, SUPERB. 

• Like 1

Can't remember how I got it, but I acquired a Model Railroader some time in the late 1950s.

I was staggered at the difference in the "state of the art" , and the obvious quality differences in the RTR models between the opposite sides of the pond. I sometimes think that we (UK) have never caught up!

I do remember being quite dispirited at the time.

That's great could you post them on this site show the younger ones just how much skill and innovation was needed to model in those days?

• Like 1

I still have the first copy my father bought for me, Volume 2 No. 8 Jan-Feb 1951. Inside the front cover is an advert for Graham Farish with their new Pullman coaches and the Formo flexible track which my father and I used on our railway and it had proper 4mm scale sleeper spacing. Inside the back cover is an advert from Hattons, then at 136 Smithdown Road - I remember it well! Amongst the editorial pages there is a constructional article about building a Great Central Signal box by a certain Peter Denny. Of course CJF and Peter were both members of the Model Railway Club at that time and we know that in time Peter followed CJF to the West Country where their friendship led to more than 20 years worth of great articles in the Railway Modeller. Oh memories..................

That's great could you post them on this site show the younger ones just how much skill and innovation was needed to model in those days?

Not entirely certain but, despite the age of the articles, you might be breaching copyright if you posted scanned copies on this forum.

A couple of errors relating to P D Hancock appear to have crept into said supplement.   On page 4 there is a photo of the cover of RM February 1954 with caption "Covers of the early 1950's often featured layouts and builders - here PD Hancock, February 1954". This is wrong as the guy in the photo on the cover of the RM Feb 1954 looking at Craig is Ian Hutchison. The correct cover to use as the example should have been March 1953 which does feature PD in it.

Page 8 features the magazine in the 1970's and includes a photo described as: "Colour photos gave a whole new slant on old favourites such as the Craig and Mertonford". The photo shows a NER 4-4-0 on the standard gauge in front of what is assumed to be a section of narrow gauge on a higher level with a Colonel Stephens style railbus on it and some mineral wagons which in turn is in front of a high street with a tramway on it and a guards band marching down the street. This it turns out is in fact the 'North Wylam and Briegate' by the Leeds MRC  and featured in the Railway Modeller November 1973. The photo shows 'Briegate Junction' on that layout, the high level narrow gauge being 12mm gauge, using TT chassis.  The picture also appeared in colour in the February 1972 issue of RM on the centre full colour pages. 

RM editorial team have been informed.

Malcolm

Thanks Dunwurken, I have noticed in previous supplements other little errors that had crept in, They really should let one of us older readers have a proof read first! I have still to receive my RM for June, hopefully next week.

About the other matter, my intention was actually an offer to send some articles from the early 1950's privately to TERRYSVR, not to publish them here but re the copyright issue, I checked on the DACS website and Copyright Aid and I quote:

"In the UK, copyright in the actual typographical layout of the published editions only last for 25 years from the end of the year in which it was published. In other words reproducing the magazines or parts of the same by scanning them would not pose any problem"

If anyone has other thoughts could they please clarify the situation. I'm too old for clink and too broke to pay fines, and then who would look after the fish and run the trains................

Edited by Caddy
  • Like 1