Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

• 1 month later...

What seems to have escaped this forum was the inverted 57xx prototype on the Dapol stand at the GCR show, running off a battery to show the working inside Stephenson valve gear.  I understand that this is to be made in self-lubricating plastic.

Les

What seems to have escaped this forum was the inverted 57xx prototype on the Dapol stand at the GCR show, running off a battery to show the working inside Stephenson valve gear.  I understand that this is to be made in self-lubricating plastic.

Les

I found this on YouTube, around 8.30 there is footage of the Dapol stand showing a decorated Jinty and the inverted Pannier.

https://youtu.be/f0UIu-DA_vA

• Like 1

Dummy inside motion would've technically made that area of the model superior to Minerva's - working inside motion does up the game somewhat.

The cynic in me wonders if they've had to come up with something dramatic like this to try & claw back some sales; they cannot be unaware of their tarnished reputation for (very) late delivery of the 08.?

Does the Jinty have working inside motion, I wonder?? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Richard Webster had both the 57xx and the 8750 variants at the recent G0G meet at Llandrinio.

They were very impressive.

There is now a Jinty on display at the Dapol shop in Chirk with delivery dates of later in the year.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Tower Models report that the Dapol 57xx panniers "are going into production now" but no delivery date yet. I have to say with the spec including a representation of working inside valve gear these look remarkably tempting even to a confirmed SR modeller like myself.

• 1 month later...

News yesterday from Tower Models: 

In regard to the 57xx and 8750 Dapol mentioned the both the early BR and "Great Western" 57xx's should be available around the end of this month with the remaining versions becoming available in the second half of April. The sound / DCC fitting for all of these locos is being done here in the UK and should be completed within a month of the none-DCC versions being released and as with the Dapol Jinty sound locos, I suspect they will be done in batches with one version at a time.

Edited by dpgibbons

I was pretty close to cancelling my pre-order and just get the Minerva Rivetted one however I wanted the early cab with handrail offset.

But to do that would require putty and repaint also re-decal and fix the W on Western. But that would be too much effort. Not that I am in anyway mocking the Minerva effort...

I wish I could have it's Backhead in the mediocre Dapol one (some items in the wrong place, no lubricator, no value handles and pipes that go down to the cab floor not sideways/diagonal haha).

So I'm going to detail the Dapol cab and hardwire the fantastic Minevra/Paul Chetter decoder that I got in it...then add some light weathering.