Dapol 'O' 57XX / 8750

H4706

Perhaps the shortcomings you mention in the Dapol cab have been corrected in the production models. Unfortunately it seems there will be no magazine reviews available before deliveries commence around the end of this month, so any early bird reviews here would be useful.

Duplicated RTR models in O Gauge are thankfully rare so I'll be interested to see if the Minerva version justifies its higher price tag.

Perhaps the shortcomings you mention in the Dapol cab have been corrected in the production models. Unfortunately it seems there will be no magazine reviews available before deliveries commence around the end of this month, so any early bird reviews here would be useful.

Duplicated RTR models in O Gauge are thankfully rare so I'll be interested to see if the Minerva version justifies its higher price tag.

Not to mention working motion for Dapol and no jarring join in cab sheets as in Minerva 8750

• RMweb Premium

These look splendid and are a bit of a bargain. I'm seriously thinking of dipping a toe into N gauge with one of these, would they run with one of the Dapol autocoaches or the Lionheart B set? At one time the idea of a GWR branch line end - end was a complete anathema to me but it is now rather attractive and would be something different from the train set I share with the boy.

These look splendid and are a bit of a bargain. I'm seriously thinking of dipping a toe into N gauge with one of these, would they run with one of the Dapol autocoaches or the Lionheart B set? At one time the idea of a GWR branch line end - end was a complete anathema to me but it is now rather attractive and would be something different from the train set I share with the boy.

The 64xx were 'Auto Fitted',so could run with the autocoach, either hauled or propelled, when crewed by a Driver and a 'Passed Fireman', Typically the 74xx  were not so fitted and all of the heavier 57XX,8750 and the 94XX were also not Auto fitted, however they could run with the Autocoach and did in the Stroud Valley on the Chalford Auto, but would need to 'change ends' and 'runround' the coach at each terminus to haul the train, all could haul the B sets.

Johng

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that! I think I could get a nice little end - end together for quite a modest cost, in fact given that I'm looking at a very small loco and stock fleet that part would probably be less than a typical OO layout thanks to the fine people of Dapol and their efforts to develop good O models at much lower price points than was normal for O.

Couldn't agree more. I ordered a 57xx along with the Autocoach and a B Set. I'll add the small Prairie for the B set when it arrives. Just need to find a small rural Great Western branch line terminus to model. I can see me buying some books at Ally Pally this weekend for inspiration.

Arrived this morning from Tower Models, excellent service !

post-20303-0-27706000-1522231091_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-96418300-1522231103_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-06472200-1522231120_thumb.jpg

I also have to say that I have the Minerva version and I am very happy with both locomotives and service given.

• Like 2

Received my unnumbered "Great Western" version from Tower Models this morning.

I was impressed by the finish and the smooth slow running. Much better than anything I would be able to build.

The only minor problem I have is that although it is unnumbered, it has 5700 on the buffer beams which at least gives me something to do with it!

This is the first time I have bought anything ready to run in O Gauge and at the price is very good value.

My concern now is that it makes the motley collection of GWR 0-6-0's I have built over the past 25 years (especially my dear old CCW "2721") look a bit shabby!.

Do please post comments and comparisons with the Minerva version.

Thank you for asking about posting my comments and comparisons.

I feel that any review/comparison by me as a "normal" modeller would be unfair and I prefer that is left to the professional reviewers, such as AndyY or others in a better position to do so.

I would expect there to be reviews in magazines in the not too distant future so I will leave my views other than to say I am pleased with both locomotives.

Regards

Grahame

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well today I had a call from "Rails of Sheffield" to say that all Dapol 5700's had been recalled by them as there was a problem with them. The guy couldn't tell me why, but my back order was now delayed because of this. I hope it's not going to be too long before replacements are sent out.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi all,

Well today I had a call from "Rails of Sheffield" to say that all Dapol 5700's had been recalled by them as there was a problem with them. The guy couldn't tell me why, but my back order was now delayed because of this. I hope it's not going to be too long before replacements are sent out.

Cheers,

Mike

Apparently wired backwards so on DC they will not go in the normal direction expected.

Norman

5717 came today, and it is a little gem.

Heavier than the Jinty (and similar in weight to the Minerva model) it is well packaged, with the bunker lamp iron the only casualty of the journey from Blackpool. This was a simple refix.

I believe mine would run the wrong way on DC, however this is not an issue for me as I have reversed this with CV 29 on the decoder. This was a simple install, 6 screws removing the upper body from the running plate - very similar to the 64xx. Indeed, aside the omission of a drive belt, the chassis layout is similar to the 64xx, with speaker box over the front axle pointing down.

The model runs beautifully, the firebox flicker is not turnoffable, and remains on on DCC.

The chassis is open around the internal valve gear, which is made of red self coloured plastic. The void around the gear is painted red. Pleasingly, the brake linkage doubles to pass inside and outside the rear drivers. This is not present on the Minerva model.

The valve gear runs reasonably smoothly, with a slight tick as the motion oscillates.

The body is cleanly moulded, cab detail is fine, and although visible, the extra clear plastic around the cab windows is hard to see from most viewing angles. The roof is easily removed however looks a little heavy compared to the Minerva. Paint finish (in my case black) is very good. The safety valve is noticeably more detailed on the Dapol model

I like the fact that the ash pan is coloured differently to the frames, however this is a little bright, and could do with weathering down. I think you will see this on other UK models in the future. The ashpan is much deeper than on the Minerva model, others might advise whether this is right.

Cab side plates are etched and very nice, the smoke box plate and shed plate are perfect and accurately located.

My opinion of the model is that it may just edge the Minerva loco, however it lacks the loose bits to allow variations to be modelled easily. There are no additional parts to fit yourself.

The working motion is hard to see from trackside viewing angles - but it’s nice to know it’s there! However being of plastic, time will tell as to how durable it is. The valve gear colour is a little bright, and it could do with some dirty oil to tone it down. Any ideas what could do the job on this plastic?

The removable cab roof is far more useful that the Jinty, however compromise for this might be the coarser edge of the roof where it sits on the cab sides.

For those running DC, if you are unlucky and your loco runs the wrong way this will be frustrating. However access to the motor terminals is good, and a switcheroo would be simple to achieve (if you don’t want to send it back!).

post-6761-0-13529200-1522335877_thumb.jpeg

post-6761-0-08797600-1522335891_thumb.jpeg

post-6761-0-23689100-1522336014_thumb.jpeg

You’ve gotta love that padlock!

post-6761-0-92968500-1522336026_thumb.jpeg

Hope this is of interest, I look forward to others impressions and opinions.

Neal

Edited by neal
  • Like 5