Dursley Mills - 1:76th OOFS BR(WR) ex MR Terminus track plan

Dale

How about this for a development?

This put's the TT in the same orientation as Nailsworth.  That sits well with me, as the plan is to be a taste of the area, not a faithful copy of Dursley.  This plan puts the TT area into local context at least.

Thoughts?

D

post-11004-0-38131900-1500229374_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

For the turntable, it's a bit hard to say what typical Midland practice was as the BLT really wasn't a Midland thing. However, nearby NailsworthBear in mind that the turntable will be 42 feet diameter - the standard Midland size

Maybe a geographical, or timescale thing. But the Midland shed build at Ilkley in 1892 had a 50' Cowans Sheldon turntable fitted. The original shed may have been smaller.

Just found this thread, very interesting. I agree thats it's difficult balancing prototypicality with operating potential - but think the later options look good!

• RMweb Premium

Maybe a geographical, or timescale thing. But the Midland shed build at Ilkley in 1892 had a 50' Cowans Sheldon turntable fitted. The original shed may have been smaller.

Just found this thread, very interesting. I agree thats it's difficult balancing prototypicality with operating potential - but think the later options look good!

Why would a 50' turntable have been installed? Presumably because there was a requirement to turn 4-4-0s. A 50' turntable could accommodate any Midland engine except those with bogie tenders (the first Compounds, the Belpaires and Princess of Wales singles). I can certainly see that 4-4-0s would run to Ilkley but it's harder to justify on a Gloucestershire branch.