A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Radstock - Midford Tramway at Wellow

• 3 weeks later...

A chance find in "Coal from Camerton" http://lightmoor.co.uk/view-book.php?ref=L9860&section= led me to the Hay and Kington railway, apparently built by the same engineer as the Radstock line. A picture in this book shows waggons on the Hay railway in 1870. A replica waggon is at Brecon https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5472791 seems good enough to give me better ideas for building my waggons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The mapping on the Know Your Place site http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=banes isn't well correlated, so I've spent a while copying it down, and moving the layers around - using GIMP. This is the Tithe map over the 1st edition OS mapping. Note how the canal runs behind the station master house.

post-7177-0-08043300-1543083773_thumb.png

A comparison with Google Street View - and I can see the site of the aqueduct  - there is a change in the stonework. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.322786,-2.3735585,3a,75y,199.53h,74.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swEcQlMRkrddGim9axoFS3Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Like 1

I was just browsing some of my pictures when I came across this I took back in the snow of 1981. The tunnel can be seen to the right of the church from this angle, and it gives a good impression of the lie of the land. I thought I could go out there and get to the same spot, unfortunately, Street View shows considerable tree growth since then, so I don't think it is going to be visible. Might be worth a look though.

post-7177-0-17310300-1543435929_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have scrapped the original track I built, I wasn't happy with it. New track has been laid, plus I've built a new iron wagon, and put underframes on the original two.

post-7177-0-69530300-1544190014_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I had aspirations once to make an articulated horse with a view  to making a diorama of the Portreath tramroad. Driving the thing via a fine cardan shaft from the following wagon,,, until I realised where the shaft would have to go and put me off off the idea...

Steve

• Like 1

Some serious progress with the research. I've acquired the Hay & Kington Railways book. This railway was built by John Hodgkinson (an assistant to Outram), the same engineer as on the Radstock tramway, and built at around the same time. It has been suggested by Somersetshire Coal Canal historians, in the absence of any other information, that the Hay railway would have been similar to the Radstock tramway. The book contains a drawing of an end-door iron waggon. Well it's a starting point.

post-7177-0-50056900-1544292855.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some serious progress with the research. I've acquired the Hay & Kington Railways book. This railway was built by John Hodgkinson (an assistant to Outram), the same engineer as on the Radstock tramway, and built at around the same time. It has been suggested by Somersetshire Coal Canal historians, in the absence of any other information, that the Hay railway would have been similar to the Radstock tramway. The book contains a drawing of an end-door iron waggon. Well it's a starting point.

attachicon.gifHay & Kington.jpg

Will you be replicating the double headed Dobbins horses?

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got about 18 waggons to build. Needs a production line. Decided to start with the frames.

This jig is used to cut the frames to length and the slots for the axles.

post-7177-0-02971400-1545056668.jpg

This is the result, frame sides.

post-7177-0-70193900-1545056673.jpg

And this jig is used to assemble the frames.

post-7177-0-14785800-1545056680.jpg

• Like 2

No compensation then :no: !

I like the square clamp thingy in the last pic, is that a home-made device? very neat solution to fit it to a engineer's square  :agree:

Steve

Edited by steve howe

No compensation then :no: !

I like the square clamp thingy in the last pic, is that a home-made device? very neat solution to fit it to a engineer's square  :agree:

Steve

Scale flanges Steve, but yes, no compensation - hardly necessary on a wheelbase of 12.66mm!

The clamp thingy came from Squires. Still listed in their catalogue, 040-047 Ruler Stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Knocked up some cottages today, trying out the roof lines. Some weights on the scenic formers are in the way.

attachicon.gifIMG_9837.JPG

They look like kiln props to me... :biggrin_mini2:

sorry to ask a silly question Tim, but if its a plateway do the waggon wheels need flanges?  :scratchhead:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wired up the half I've built, plus made part of the second point.

Modified the Dapol N gauge chassis I've got, it's been modified for the wider gauge, and has got pickups. Been trying it out over the built trackwork, results promising.

• Like 1