BRM June '17 + extra interactive features

SteveCole

However, some of us regular readers are never likely to take out a subscription - for example, people like me, who'd quite like to see local independent newsagents and model shops stay in business.

Although I can't speak for other people, I know that I don't particularly wish to read pages on putting something together that I can't buy.

Yes, that does strike a chord with me. I would certainly have preferred to have read about a layout than putting together a 'free gift' for purchasing a subscription that I'm unlikely to do.

And now, knowing that there was an alternative article, I feel a little cheated having forked out to purchase the magazine.

G.  

There are two versions of the magazine - Subscribers get the Melbridge Box Company. Non-subscribers get an article by me showing how to assemble the subs-offer workstation.

Some of us had to buy the non-subs version so we have a complete set of magazines!

Not sure if we can do the Box Company article in a future issue for those who missed it. I'll have a chat with the office and see what we can do.

I have to say that I find this more than a little bit disappointing. I think it is unfair that there are two different magazines. When you subscribe you, in my opinion, are subscribing to BRM - the magazine you could also buy in the shops after subscribers received it. After all the editorial mentions the Mellbridge article - it does not say that the article is for the selected few. If you want to attract subscribers then do the article as a pull out advert, do not give the high street buyer a watered down edition. In a sense the high street buyer pays more for the mag because there are no subscriber discounts. The high street buyer deserves the same product. I actually feel a little cheated by this.

• Administrators

I have to say that I find this more than a little bit disappointing. I think it is unfair that there are two different magazines. When you subscribe you, in my opinion, are subscribing to BRM - the magazine you could also buy in the shops after subscribers received it. After all the editorial mentions the Mellbridge article - it does not say that the article is for the selected few. If you want to attract subscribers then do the article as a pull out advert, do not give the high street buyer a watered down edition. In a sense the high street buyer pays more for the mag because there are no subscriber discounts. The high street buyer deserves the same product. I actually feel a little cheated by this.

This just goes to prove we can never win. There are many threads on here and elsewhere bemoaning new subscribers being offered something as a sign-up and there being nothing comparable for existing subscribers. Now we do something for existing subscribers and we are still wrong.

I also look forward to Garden Rail - and Engineering in Miniature - under your editorship.

Glad someone is. I'm just anticipating grief hurled for 3 publications instead of one...

• Administrators

My DVD has developed a problem where it stops after a few minutes. There are some marks/scratches on the disk, but even thought I've tried to clean them up it doesnt seem to improve it. Who do I contact to get a replacement disk?

Hi,

Drop us an email with your address to brm@warnersgroup.co.uk and I'll sort a replacement.

Steve

• Administrators

Any non-subscribers who would like the Melbridge article can send me their address to brm@warnersgroup.co.uk and I'll happily send it via email.

Our reasoning behind the two editions was because we felt that subscribers don't want to see a small article and subsequent pages dedicated to subscription adverts. Therefore, we felt it right that we would reward their loyalty with a second version of the magazine with extra editorial. If any newsstand readers feel cheated by this I am, as mentioned above, happy to email them the missing article. The mention of this article in the Editor's Welcome was a mistake. I apologise to anyone who feels disappointed by missing this article.

Your point about the high street buyer paying more for the magazine is correct. However, we do have substantial costs involved (believe me, retailers like to make a decent percentage too!). Fulfilling a subscription costs us much less, hence we can pass-on those savings by offering low-price offers or including gifts as an incentive - it works for us and works for many thousand readers. I applaud those who want to buy their magazine from their local newsagent or model shops (thank you), but we also offer very attractive subscription offers for those who are interested in getting the magazine delivered to their door and/or want to save money on the cover price.

• Like 1

This just goes to prove we can never win. There are many threads on here and elsewhere bemoaning new subscribers being offered something as a sign-up and there being nothing comparable for existing subscribers. Now we do something for existing subscribers and we are still wrong.

Glad someone is. I'm just anticipating grief hurled for 3 publications instead of one...

Do something to reward subscriber loyalty by all means, I have no problem with that. But be up front and honest about it then people know what is going on. Don't do it surruptiously.

Any non-subscribers who would like the Melbridge article can send me their address to brm@warnersgroup.co.uk and I'll happily send it via email.

Our reasoning behind the two editions was because we felt that subscribers don't want to see a small article and subsequent pages dedicated to subscription adverts. Therefore, we felt it right that we would reward their loyalty with a second version of the magazine with extra editorial. If any newsstand readers feel cheated by this I am, as mentioned above, happy to email them the missing article. The mention of this article in the Editor's Welcome was a mistake. I apologise to anyone who feels disappointed by missing this article.

Your point about the high street buyer paying more for the magazine is correct. However, we do have substantial costs involved (believe me, retailers like to make a decent percentage too!). Fulfilling a subscription costs us much less, hence we can pass-on those savings by offering low-price offers or including gifts as an incentive - it works for us and works for many thousand readers. I applaud those who want to buy their magazine from their local newsagent or model shops (thank you), but we also offer very attractive subscription offers for those who are interested in getting the magazine delivered to their door and/or want to save money on the cover price.

I personally would suggest do the subscriber adverts as a pull out in the middle of the mag and then replace it with a special article for subscribers - but as I have said in response to Phil's comment, be honest about it so people are clear about what is being done.

As a current high street buyer I accept that I pay a higher price, that is the way of the world. I choose not to subscribe at the moment because I choose to subscribe to another mag and then buy selected copies of BRM as and when I have funds. But when I pay that extra price I expect to get the same magazine as everyone else, especially when the article is referred to in the editorial.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Why doesn't the kit come with instructions? There should be no need to waste two pages of the magazine. In any case it doesn't seem a very complex construction with just five parts. Incidentally the page is headed PRATICAL BRM.

Otherwise it's a good magazine. I especially liked the brewery. I find it hard to believe that the yellow DJ Hunslet would have stayed that colour long in colliery use. An article on weathering such an extreme livery realistically would be interesting.

Best wishes

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not that clean really - until we get to the preservation era - where most things are almost too clean! The chimneys in your examples are mostly black, with the remainder grimy. Nevertheless it's good to see so many both in work and in retirement!

The linked photographs are of the same engine in NCB ownership, not preservation era. It's only one in the last link that is as preserved, from 2007.

The rest are from the 1970s and 1980s, and I doubt it has had a lick of paint since it was built in 1964. It's positively clean considering it's a working engine.

I believe that at one point the chimney was painted black. Something to do with the underfeed stoker which apparently was prone to overheating.

Jason