BR Mk1 RSO Sc1014-1017

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Information and photo search

How long were these in service?

When were thaey taken out of sevice?

Were they reused by British Rail?

RSO Restaurant Second Open 30526 Wolverton Sc1014-1017 built 1960

Looking for information to enable me to complete this model.

I have a part response to my query via the DEMU Forum where it has been convfirmed thay were withdrawn by 1976.

More information needed!

Thanks

Longworth and Butlin have different dates for these four.

They were transferred to the WR in either late 66 or early 67 and gained B4s at some point. As far as I am aware they remained VB/SH and so would probably not run as dining cars on the WR following the induction of MK2bs (which were AB) in early 68. They may have run as dining cars for VB stock on secondary services but these would mostly have a single RB or RU. 1015 was withdrawn in November 1975 and is a camping coach at Dawlish (but may not be for much longer). The rest look to be withdrawn in Aug 76-ish and quickly scraped. Given that month/date I would suggest that they had bee used as seasonal stock for reliefs etc. There was a clear-out of vb/SH Mk1 about this time.

• RMweb Gold

They are recorded in the 1972 Coaching Stock of BR as SH/VB and re-graded as Open Seconds all with B4 bogies and W prefix.

There is a photo in Larkin of W1014 in blue and grey, with B4 bogies, and with 100mph capability and A maintenance category markings, without restaurant markings.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the in depth information - much appreciated.

This is a kit that I have to build for someone.

Anyway, I've let him know the situation regarding the coach being wrong period for him.

It turns out he bought this one in error one year at Modelrail Scotland

His response was to tell me just to do it as a Blue/Grey anyway as he thinks 8 out of 10 people won't notice the difference anyway!

So I started building it this evening.

MTK Kits - yummy...............................

A Diagram 60 RSO body is effectively the same as any other 1960 TSO/SO, the vents may be different and the interior was probably a different textile but mostly it was the same.

Is there a preferred time\location/livery?

Edited by Bomag

• RMweb Gold

A Diagram 60 RSO body is effectively the same as any other 1960 TSO/SO, the vents may be different and the interior was probably a different textile but mostly it was the same.

Is there a preferred time\location/livery?

Hi Bomag,

Edinburgh/East Coast were the main areas I've seen photos of by him.

I think he is trying to recreate something he saw but has bought the wrong coach kit.

No worries - will just follow instructions and do as standard blue/grey paint finish.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Forgive me if I'm getting confused here with different vehicles (as I don't have the Larkin book for reference), but were these vehicles the ones similar to a standard Mk.1 SK/SO bodyshell but without the centre doors? (IE door/8 seating bays/door/lavatory, the other side being a mirror image?)

If so the Bradford Barton book "Diesels in the Highlands" shows one in a Kyle of Lochalsh train in the early 70s at Achnasheen (blue/grey livery).

• RMweb Gold

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying Chris.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

The photo you have commented on was one of the reasons for me needing confirmation.

In the end the guy I am building this one for just said to paint it blue/grey and never mind about it being out of period for his Scottish layout and coach rakes.

It's sat in primer for the last 3 days - baking in the Scottish sun!

Once Perth Exhibition - this weekend - is done - I'll get the top coats put on it.

Thanks

• Like 1