Not Jeremy

So no, I can't send you my MRJ 255, but if you phone me I could offer to read you a bedtime story from it.

I won't be needing those bed-time stories after all - picked up mine from Hammersmith Smiths this lunchtime. Looks like it'll be a cracking read.

• Like 1

So far nobody has mentioned Karl Crother's forward.

I'm not sure that Railway Modelling is conducive to good mental health, let alone holding back the onset of Alzheimer's.

I've known more than one friend whose modelling activities nearly brought on a divorce, and thus associated mental anguish.

Following through Karl's list of the evolution of modelling from one's first introduction, kits, layouts, exhibiting etc., I have travelled that path, and a healthy mental experience is not the way I saw it, yes a few highs, but many, many lows, especially in the early days of etched kits.... :jester: 

Indeed at present, I'm wrestling with extreme anguish over some models I would like to complete now, they have lain dormant for some 25+ years, they are giving me some extreme mental anguish - probably because I've forgotten how to do things etc.,

I'm tempted to say, if anybody ends up with Alzheimer's, by that time they are probably out of the main spheres of modelling, and have little contact with the wider social scene.  

I'm certainly aware of a couple of very competent modellers who have Parkinson's.

I could never have claimed any particular degree of competence, but FWIW I was diagnosed a couple of years back with CBD, a form of Parkinsons Plus, since when even my low skills have been progressively diminished. Sufficient though to lurk on the Forum.

Scottest

• RMweb Premium

Morfa Bank is impressive. I was brought up in South Wales in the 1960s, just a little earlier than it is set, and it rings all the bells. And the quality of both observation and modelling is superb. Oh that I can achieve anything near that standard (before senile decay sets in completely).

Jonathan

PS My wife and I are off to Port Talbot in a few days so I showed her the article so she knows what to expect!!!

Fabbo edition with some really excellent subject matter.

As to the editor bit? As someone who suffers frae a severe mental health issue, our hobby is one of the few things that stays constantly stable in my life. I have accepted my limits when necessary and enjoy the periods of productivity - it is what it is.

Edited by iak
  • Like 6

I suspect that railway modelling, like any other form of activity that engages the brain, can help with mental health, but I very much doubt it's a complete solution. It certainly didn't keep me away from clinical depression, just for starters.

On general health, with all the dubious liquids we use - just try reading some of the labels occasionally! - I actually wonder whether modelling isn't roughly as dangerous as smoking.

• Like 3

So far nobody has mentioned Karl Crother's forward.

I'm not sure that Railway Modelling is conducive to good mental health, let alone holding back the onset of Alzheimer's.

I've known more than one friend whose modelling activities nearly brought on a divorce, and thus associated mental anguish.

Following through Karl's list of the evolution of modelling from one's first introduction, kits, layouts, exhibiting etc., I have travelled that path, and a healthy mental experience is not the way I saw it, yes a few highs, but many, many lows, especially in the early days of etched kits.... :jester: 

Indeed at present, I'm wrestling with extreme anguish over some models I would like to complete now, they have lain dormant for some 25+ years, they are giving me some extreme mental anguish - probably because I've forgotten how to do things etc.,

I'm tempted to say, if anybody ends up with Alzheimer's, by that time they are probably out of the main spheres of modelling, and have little contact with the wider social scene.  

I'm certainly aware of a couple of very competent modellers who have Parkinson's.

I too found the editorial interesting and was moved to write a letter to the editor. However I have found  no earthly evidence of the magazine or the publishers having an e-mail address, although I cannot believe they receive missives written on paper and then re-type them for publication.

The day after my issue arrived there was a short programme about Dementia and Altzheimer's Disease on Radio 4 in which the experts admitted that the diseases are far less well researched and known than others, even though Dementia is now the no. 1 cause of death in this country. They believe some of it is genetic (inherited) whilst for the rest the general rule of "if it's good for the heart, it's good for the brain" seems to apply.

Railway Modelling is generally a pretty sedentary pastime and whilst it provides the occasional intellectual challenge I suspect that by and large, and apart from certain phases of design and construction,  it doesn't challenge the brain much, and it certainly doesn't provide aerobic or anaerobic exercise. The great strength of it as a hobby strikes me as being that it involves all the stages of creation, from conception to building to detailing, to fettling and maintaining, and many practical disciplines such as drawing, designing, woodwork, metalwork, electrics, electronics, painting and so on. I don't think anyone should regard it as ticking the box on protection against dementia in the absence of other physical activity and intellectual challenge of reading, debating, acting, solving puzzles, learning new skills, and so on.  

That doesn't stop it being a jolly good hobby to have of course, but I certainly don't think it compares with group music-making or fluency in more than one language, which I believe are among the proven activities which do help. 

Chris Gardner

Alton

Hampshire

I too found the editorial interesting and was moved to write a letter to the editor. However I have found  no earthly evidence of the magazine or the publishers having an e-mail address, although I cannot believe they receive missives written on paper and then re-type them for publication.

You'd better believe it!

• Like 2

The day after my issue arrived there was a short programme about Dementia and Altzheimer's Disease on Radio 4 in which the experts admitted that the diseases are far less well researched and known than others, even though Dementia is now the no. 1 cause of death in this country. They believe some of it is genetic (inherited) whilst for the rest the general rule of "if it's good for the heart, it's good for the brain" seems to apply.

Railway Modelling is generally a pretty sedentary pastime and whilst it provides the occasional intellectual challenge I suspect that by and large, and apart from certain phases of design and construction,  it doesn't challenge the brain much, and it certainly doesn't provide aerobic or anaerobic exercise. The great strength of it as a hobby strikes me as being that it involves all the stages of creation, from conception to building to detailing, to fettling and maintaining, and many practical disciplines such as drawing, designing, woodwork, metalwork, electrics, electronics, painting and so on. I don't think anyone should regard it as ticking the box on protection against dementia in the absence of other physical activity and intellectual challenge of reading, debating, acting, solving puzzles, learning new skills, and so on.  

That doesn't stop it being a jolly good hobby to have of course, but I certainly don't think it compares with group music-making or fluency in more than one language, which I believe are among the proven activities which do help. 

Chris Gardner

Alton

Hampshire

I have found that my interest in railways and modelling has been a constant in my life, in times of great anguish when interest in nearly all other things has diminished to a vanishing point, there has all ways been a spark there of enthusiasm that needed just a little kindling to give a few moments of precious escapism. The benefits we get from our hobby, are many and not least a  feeling of well being, this, of course, is subjective and dependant on many factors in our individual character. How many people, for instance, in later life have not developed a hobby they find rewarding and fulfilling or stick at for any length of time because of other factors that were in play in their formative years, and this can lead to stagnation in retirement. A very dangerous position propagating mental and physical ill health I feel. In conclusion if you keep busy and challenge your self in planning, talking about, doing and making things there is little time left for introspection and damaging negative thoughts. To quote a famous war time leader "Keep Bug***ing On".  

Best

Guy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I can assure in case there is any doubt that Cygnet Publications has not yet discovered new technology. When i visited their printer last year I was shown one of the books then in hand. It took me back to my early years in magazine publishing (and I retired ten years ago). But that does not affect the quality of the finished product. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can assure in case there is any doubt that Cygnet Publications has not yet discovered new technology. When i visited their printer last year I was shown one of the books then in hand. It took me back to my early years in magazine publishing (and I retired ten years ago). But that does not affect the quality of the finished product. 

Jonathan

How many monks are doing the hand illuminating these days?

Mike.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if their grasp of technology has got as far as 2 tin cans and a bit of string.

I don't care what technology and/or pre-press they use. It's a quality product and no need to change. And it's firmly aimed at the discerning end of the market. Love it, and treasure it!

Peter

(ex-SLADE and NGA foc)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes I wonder if their grasp of technology has got as far as 2 tin cans and a bit of string.

I reckon the grasp of technology at Cygnet is actually pretty good.

Which is why MRJ is what it is and not the eyeboggling shouty heylookatthis splurge that some other magazines have succumbed to. Indeed some are so dangerous, they must be sealed in airtight plastic bags.

Mark

• Like 3

I'd agree with that backofanenvelope, just got turned on to MRJ a few months ago and "it seems to reach the parts that other mags don't" Morfa article being the case in point.

Best

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

A huge thank you to all at MRJ & to Karl Crowther for including our humble little layout The Mill in this issue. 

MRJ is a constant inspiration to me as a modeller & has taught me much.

I'll take this opportunity to share the details of the layouts next outing,

post-19016-0-89850500-1498045542_thumb.jpg

this will be a small high quality show with a relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119176-staffordshire-finescale-group-modelling-showcase-8th-july-2017/

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Gardner

Alton

Hampshire

Hi Chris,

I too read the editorial and was prompted to write a letter about my very recent experiences of a full-blown nervous breakdown. I'm glancing hopefully at the letter box to see if it gets printed in 256...! All I can say is that my railway provided a haven of peace and security when everything else in my life was upside down. But hopefully if my letter gets published you can read all about it!

Of course it's not the only way to recover but it certainly helps if only for the distraction benefits.

Best regards,

Richard