Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Kinlet Exchange Sidings

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:41

Hello and welcome to my thread on my work in progress layout.

I did start a blog, but without thinking that wasn't where to start layout topics! The layout will be based on some exchange sidings between an NCB-operated colliery and a BR (WR) branch line where coal traffic is exchanged between locos (and companies) and their lines. In addition to coal traffic, there will be scope for other workings such as miner's trains, pigeon specials and a pick-up goods that uses the sidings to run round.

There was actually a colliery at Kinlet, but it closed in the late 1930s and had its own branch line, with exchange sidings located just north of where the SVR's Arley station is located now. Here is a map of the branch line in reality:

http://shropshirehis...maps/kinlet.jpg

Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome. In the meantime, time to get rid of the blog and get the baseboards ready.
  • Like x 2

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 islandbridgejct

islandbridgejct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:13

(Following a link from PN)

If you build it in OO, you could be 'OO Severn'.

Alan

• Funny x 1

#3 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:26

(Following a link from PN)

If you build it in OO, you could be 'OO Severn'.

Alan

Ha ha, nice one. Yes, it will be in 00 with Peco finescale track.

#4 Blandford1969

Blandford1969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:43

Sadly photos of these sidings are just about non existant. The box closed in 1940, Dave Postle heard of a photo of the box and got to the house about a day after it had been disposed of. I am told by Dave he does have a photo, but as yet over the last three years has not revealed it.

The point at the south end was still in until the line was purchased by the railway.

I am sure it would make an interesting model with freight for that time from the three collieries of Billingsley, Highley and Alveley passing all from a 2 mile radius.

Duncan

#5 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 18:30

Sadly photos of these sidings are just about non existant. The box closed in 1940, Dave Postle heard of a photo of the box and got to the house about a day after it had been disposed of. I am told by Dave he does have a photo, but as yet over the last three years has not revealed it.

The point at the south end was still in until the line was purchased by the railway.

I am sure it would make an interesting model with freight for that time from the three collieries of Billingsley, Highley and Alveley passing all from a 2 mile radius.

Duncan

Hi, thank you for that information and your kind words. The layout will be a might-have-been had the colliery and associated sidings survived into BR days. The period will be 1956 to 1960.

#6 Blandford1969

Blandford1969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 19:50

I assume you have seen these?

http://discovery.nat...90-eff68eb628f5

https://books.google... sidings&f=true

Edited by Blandford1969, 29 May 2017 - 20:00 .

• Informative/Useful x 3

#7 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:05

No, I haven't come across them but seem to recall seeing the picture of the 57xx on a passenger working heading past Alveley before, probably somewhere on the Severn Valley. For some reason I can't quite get to the first source, but the second works fine.

#8 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 17:51

In preparation for the 're-opening' of Kinlet Colliery (date as yet TBC) the loading screens have been tested today with a 16T mineral wagon, seen on my home layout. In reality the coal was sourced from Bewdley, but you can almost certainly say the coal wasn't mined there!

Just out of interest, has anyone got any cork tiles surplus to their requirements?

#9 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:13

Oops, the photo for last nights post wasn't attached! Here it is now.image.jpeg
  • Like x 3

#10 sjrixon

sjrixon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:21

That's one very loaded wagon. With gold in?

#11 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 17:33

That's one very loaded wagon. With gold in?

Not gold but what the Welsh call 'black diamond'. It's real coal though. However it was my first attempt at real coal wagon loads, and on reflection think that if scaled those lumps of coal hit by the light would probably be the size of a car door!

#12 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:41

A little teaser of what's coming. . .

This will probably be the early morning miners train, but with a Small Prairie instead of a Pannier. I had intended to go for a Hornby BSK, but in the end went for a Bachmann one as the cost of weathering and detailing one by Hornby would probably exceed the cost of one by Bachmann.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Like x 5

#13 danstercivicman

danstercivicman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:56

Nice workmanship.   Cracking stuff :)

• Thanks x 1

#14 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 14:05

Thank you

I must confess the last photo was on the home layout. That gradient going the other way to which the Pannier is facing is actually quite a struggle for some of my locos - if it was real life it might be something like 1 in 10!

#15 Blandford1969

Blandford1969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 16:16

You may be interested to learn that once Dave Postle has sent 2 books to the printers (due to happen soon) he will be writing an article on Kinlet sidings compete with a photo of the box - of which he denies all knowledge

• Informative/Useful x 1

#16 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 16:25

You may be interested to learn that once Dave Postle has sent 2 books to the printers (due to happen soon) he will be writing an article on Kinlet sidings compete with a photo of the box - of which he denies all knowledge

Ooh, that sounds interesting, thank you for letting me know, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

As the colliery actually closed in 1937 and I'm portraying it in the late 1950s my layout won't be identical to the original, but any detail in the book like the track plan that can be replicated will be. Will the book be available from the likes of Ian Allan?

#17 Blandford1969

Blandford1969

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 18:16

I'm not sure. The bit on Kinlet is just a magazine article. The books though will probably be available from Ian Allan

• Thanks x 1

#18 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:30

I've been away for the last few weeks, but during my travels I visited Hamburg, which is home to Miniatur Wunderland, which claims to be the 'largest model rail exhibition in the world' - I think that might be Warley's claim to fame!

Anyway, hear are some pictures I took while I was there.

IMG_1796.JPG

During the nighttime, some uninvited guests came to the German section!

IMG_1800.JPG

I believe this is the Swiss section, which is mainly viewed from a ledge about 10ft above the layout.
IMG_1802.JPG

Now when was the last time you saw this many taxis, even in real life?

IMG_1810.JPG

And finally perhaps the most exciting part of the whole display is Knuffingen Airport, I believe supposed to be in Bavaria. Some of the planes are huge, but every so often the sequence is interrupted to amuse the visitors, such as a Star Wars spaceship and a giant bee!

IMG_1807.JPG

There might be a little more progress on Kinlet over the next few weeks - watch this space.
  • Like x 2

#19 7APT7

7APT7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 23:25

Hi

Can I ask while in Hamburg, how much to get in to the Miniatur Wunderland? Is it a two day job or can you see it in one visit...? Thought of going several times as all the YouTube clips look great as do the photos above, thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jamie

#20 SVRlad

SVRlad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:54

Hi

Can I ask while in Hamburg, how much to get in to the Miniatur Wunderland? Is it a two day job or can you see it in one visit...? Thought of going several times as all the YouTube clips look great as do the photos above, thanks for sharing.

Regards
Jamie

Hi Jamie

I believe it is €13 for adults, and €6.50 for children under 16. You won't regret it!

Unfortunately I was there only for an hour but that was just about enough time to see everything. Quite why a HST set wasn't given a run out on the ICE lines I've no idea!

And as I have posted here now, I think I've finalised the track plan for Kinlet, so will put up here later. Sadly the baseboards I have in the garage are tooo small, so I'll probably need to custom order some from one of the many baseboard companies, most likely Model Railway Solutions.

Edited by SVRlad, 14 September 2017 - 05:55 .