Removing printed decals with Sharpie permanent markers

• RMweb Gold

I did a further two locos this afternoon, a spare new tooling Bachmann 44 and an old Hornby tender drive 2P.

Both worked really well, the new Bachmann decals seemed to come off much easier than the first release class 44. Slight hiccup though in that I varnished with Humbrol satin varnish to remove the sheen at one end, and it bloomed. A quick search on here suggested that Humbrol varnishes are prone to this - I won't use them again. Resprayed the offending section, and started weathering.

The Hornby 2P worked very well, I used a blue sharpie as I have lots of them and only one black (which incidentally beautifully covers the white wheel rims on Bachmann's 44008). The thinners did slightly attack the lining, but not so you would notice. The blue ink did stain the "2P" decal but quickly went after daubing with a cotton bud soaked in Tamiya thinners.

41A202FE-E248-49C7-BD62-C82B5890980A.jpeg.756f6a3cb599281de0eedb03dfce803f.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
Photo re added

• RMweb Gold

The two Maroon ones will stay as they are! Toying though with getting another to become D844. The Abbotswood session certainly was infectious, I'm sure you'll have the entire fleet soon Phil, but I started spotting too late to see any Warships in service.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

So how did we fare with a D842?

The nameplate succumbed easily - but the over size BR arrow resisted! Ended up resorting to thinners to finish the job! See how you get on Neil....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So how did we fare with a D842?

The nameplate succumbed easily - but the over size BR arrow resisted! Ended up resorting to thinners to finish the job! See how you get on Neil....

Phil

Do the current Warships not succumb to a thumbnail scrape any more? That used to be an endearing trait of the older versions.

MIke.

• 1 month later...

As the chances of getting BR blue or green coloured Sharpie marker pens over here are somewhere this side of infinitesimal, would black, (which cunningly I have in stock), do the job and wash off afterwards do you think?

I may bite the bullet and see what the Chino Supermercados have in their generic marker pen range, what's the worst that could happen?!!

Mike.

Whereabouts in Spain are you?  We live in a small fishing / tourist town in Andalucia, and I know of two academic supply stores that sell Sharpies.  Maybe not all the colours of the rainbow, but the basics are there.

• RMweb Premium

Have used the Sharpie method on over 20 locos now, Bachy, Hornby and Heljan. Clean up with Railmatch acrylic thinners. Works a treat, so much quicker and more accurate than Tcut or any other method I've tried. Doesn't half go through the Sharpies though. I've started using the small ones (lot cheaper) they have the same size point. I wonder though if any marker pen with a suitable point and ink containing some form of chemical agent would do.

• 7 months later...

A very interesting and helpful topic!

Just about to attempt to renumber a Hornby J15 (which will be my first Hornby Re-Numbering attempet). I understand they take a lot more work to get off un-like Bachmann Models, so started looking up the T-Cut Method, but then a stumbled across this topic, so I've ordered up some fine Black Sharpies.  :locomotive:

Few questions;

1. Do you have to rub the Sharpie into the number of just add over the top?

2. Do you wait for the Sharpie to Dry before using the Thinners to remove the marker and numbers?

3. If I used Black Marker on the numbers on the Red Buffer Beam, would it come off or leave marks or should I use Red?

Many thanks! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I haven't done any more renumbering for a few months, but the thinner/Sharpie method is pretty straightforward. A cotton bud soaked in thinner dabbed over the numeral and then quickly followed by the sharpie. Gently rub until you feel the fibre in the sharpie tip "grabbing" the numeral, and white begins to appear as the numeral softens and is being removed. Mop up regularly with thinner/cotton bud until all traces are gone.

I understand that Phil Bullock has tried another technique using alkali oven cleaning gel, obtained from the supermarket which doesn't even leave a trace. Must try that one as well.

Neil

Hmm.  I tried this technique on a sacrificial Hornby RailRoad LMS coach this evening and I have to say I'm not completely satisfied with the result:

med_gallery_23983_3473_1773561.jpg

There does seem to be a definite 'shadow' where the Sharpie was used (ignore the scar in the paintwork - that was a previous experiment to remove a single number using a wooden toothpick).  And if you look at it in a oblique light you can still see the 'ghosts' of the numbers.

I think I need to practise a bit more before taking a risk on a model I care about.

(Apologies for the rubbish picture, by the way.)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest teacupteacup

Has anyone tried this on Hornby (China) yellow?  I have a RF Class 56 with black numbers and red Railfreight emblems on the yellow cabsides which I'd like to remove

Hi

I haven't done any more renumbering for a few months, but the thinner/Sharpie method is pretty straightforward. A cotton bud soaked in thinner dabbed over the numeral and then quickly followed by the sharpie. Gently rub until you feel the fibre in the sharpie tip "grabbing" the numeral, and white begins to appear as the numeral softens and is being removed. Mop up regularly with thinner/cotton bud until all traces are gone.

I understand that Phil Bullock has tried another technique using alkali oven cleaning gel, obtained from the supermarket which doesn't even leave a trace. Must try that one as well.

Neil

Thanks for the help. Does it matter if it's acrylic or enamel thinner? 

• RMweb Gold

I've only ever used acrylic thinners on factory applied paint. The only locos I have with acrylic paint and those I've resprayed myself and have been renumbered that way. Enamel thinners I suspect would damage the surrounding paintwork. All is needed is to soften the factory applied decal so that the abrasive power of the sharpie comes into play.

Neil

Hi

Neil

I've just tried Lakeland Oven Cleaner, a caustic jel.  Seemed to work well when left wrapped in cling film to work its stuff.  The stripping of paint uses up its 'life' and some krupps armour plated decals on a 3H kit, took some shifting, leaving the shadow in the paint underneath that will need a second coat, well pleased...

• 1 month later...

Thinking of getting a sufficient number of the Bachman pca wagons for a rake of at least 18. Does anyone know if the sharpie and thinner method discussed here would work on the Bachman wagons for renumbering purposes or not? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

• 1 month later...

Hmm.  I tried this technique on a sacrificial Hornby RailRoad LMS coach this evening and I have to say I'm not completely satisfied with the result:

med_gallery_23983_3473_1773561.jpg

There does seem to be a definite 'shadow' where the Sharpie was used (ignore the scar in the paintwork - that was a previous experiment to remove a single number using a wooden toothpick).  And if you look at it in a oblique light you can still see the 'ghosts' of the numbers.

I think I need to practise a bit more before taking a risk on a model I care about.

(Apologies for the rubbish picture, by the way.)

I see the shadow to which you refer. What colour of Sharpie did you use?

Edited by Black Marlin

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another potential add on to this method - detergent.

See this post from relaxinghobby

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107348-new-years-resolution-finish-those-half-made-kits/?p=3357805

I have some 47s to do, will give it a try although I won't immerse the loco, may try diluted fairy liquid daubed on the decals.

Neil

Interesting find. I have loads of Sharpie's for my arts/crafts/jewellery projects.

IIRC, they're on offer in Tesco atm, and usually on offer in the likes of Ryman's/WHSmith's and also equiv. items in the Works, though whether they'd work as well as the original Sharpies is another matter.

There are of course more than one type of Sharpie, as some are designed for different uses, and thus will be less solvent based as a result, etc.