BRM Modelling Workbench if already a subscriber

Norm81

Just got the email with the offer of a free workbench if I subscribe - problem is I'm already a subscriber. Is there any way to get one, I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks.

Just got the email with the offer of a free workbench if I subscribe - problem is I'm already a subscriber. Is there any way to get one, I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks.

It seems a swizz that subscribers like us are penalised for our loyalty. Unfortunately we live in a culture which doesn't take any notice of loyalty.

• RMweb Gold

The chances are when you subscribed there was an offer that was to entice you but wasn't available to existing subscribers. What goes around comes around.

I must admit that I subscribe to 3 mags, but I do so for the content not the offers.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the workbench offer was interesting until I saw the size - A4. Might be okay for some but rather restrictive, i.e. couldn't use a standard 12" ruler with it for cutting. Now if it had been A3.......

Izzy

It seems a swizz that subscribers like us are penalised for our loyalty. Unfortunately we live in a culture which doesn't take any notice of loyalty.

As Chris P Bacon says there are different offers and prices at different times; that's marketing and incentives. I don't know; you could have been on a cracker of a deal, we haven't applied a penalty for your continued custom, just the same price as you agreed to at the time.

No it actively penalises it.

So how does this penalty system work? Penalty as in an additional charge I assume?

Not necessarily but it does irk me when someone makes glib comments.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the workbench offer was interesting until I saw the size - A4. Might be okay for some but rather restrictive, i.e. couldn't use a standard 12" ruler with it for cutting. Now if it had been A3.......

Izzy

Yes, can't help feeling A4 is far too small.  I use an A3 mat and frequently have items overlapping the edge.  Wouldn't be too difficult to make your own however if it was felt to be useful.

• RMweb Gold

It'll be interesting to see if they also appear, separately, on the BRM stand at various modelmaking exhibitions - and at what price.

I suspect they might appeal to a number of people (including some regular readers of various Warner's magazines) who'll never take out subscriptions.

Yes, can't help feeling A4 is far too small.  I use an A3 mat and frequently have items overlapping the edge.  Wouldn't be too difficult to make your own however if it was felt to be useful.

I suspect this is one of those cases where it's impossible to please everybody. There's always likely to be a trade-off between ensuring there's enough usable space - with holders for whatever tools, dispensers, paint tinlets and containers various people use - and trying to keep the whole thing small enough to fit in the available space or on somebody's lap.

However, as already pointed out, it's perfectly possible to produce a DIY version in any size. I also suspect that a number of companies might sell affordable, basic stands and organisers which could easily be adapted for this sort of use.

Huw.

Going back to the original question, is there any way I can get my hands on one (for a price, obviously)?

I'm happy to say that when I took up my subscription I got a Hornby Bagnall and don't expect periodic freebies just for being a subscriber.

I might be able to knock up my own, but I quite like the look of the one on the offer.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks.

Hi,

We are discussing a number of added benefits to further improve the benefits of subscribing, a kind of 'Subs Club'. Ideas floating around include 'Exclusive Special Offers' and access to a mass of extra content online. It's early days but we are thinking of how we can improve subscriber benefits.

In terms of offering this product to current subscribers, we have a limited number of these for the subs offer but if we have any left or can get more, I'll certainly look to do this via an email to subscribers only.

Steve

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi,

The vast majority of current subscribers will have received a gift or introductory low price offer, just like any new subscribers through this offer will receive a BRM Work Station. You, as a subscriber, also benefit from money off tickets to our three shows. We are working on improved added benefits too. Subscribers are definitely not penalised. Let's take any subscription-based service as an example (Sky, BT etc) - you subscribe via an offer and take that added benefit (gift or introductory low price). They don't let you cancel and then re-subscribe.

We are slightly different that you can cancel (if you've been with us for 1 year) and re-subscribe. However, you need to consider the following:

1. Your new DD rate may be higher. A lot of subscribers will be on a very low DD rate.

2. If this happens too much, we won't be able to continue with offers such as this.

3. We are working to add extra benefits to subscribers

I hope this helps,

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems a swizz that subscribers like us are penalised for our loyalty. Unfortunately we live in a culture which doesn't take any notice of loyalty

Maybe a bigger issue is the overbearing sense of entitlement and urge to complain at the most trivial and irrelevant things?

Hi,

We are discussing a number of added benefits to further improve the benefits of subscribing, a kind of 'Subs Club'. Ideas floating around include 'Exclusive Special Offers' and access to a mass of extra content online. It's early days but we are thinking of how we can improve subscriber benefits.

Cool, as I suggested t'other day, especially for those of us with multiple magazine subscriptions :) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/122889-brm-june-17-extra-interactive-features/?p=2728749

How about Golden Backstage Passes for Ally Pally? Unlimited free drinks/hospitality? The possibilities are endless....

84576_full.jpg

• RMweb Gold

How about Golden Backstage Passes for Ally Pally? Unlimited free drinks/hospitality? The possibilities are endless....

84576_full.jpg

That means that when you bump into Andy Y you'll have to kneel saying "We're not worthy"

So how does this penalty system work? Penalty as in an additional charge I assume?

Not necessarily but it does irk me when someone makes glib comments.

Try opening a bank account. You will get a good rate.  After a year you will be automatically shifted to a crappy one.  New customers at the same bank will get a "new" deal with a good rate.  To get back onto a good rate you have to close your account and get a new one possibly somewhere else. This is just one example.  There are many other "offers" like this from businesses.  The basic principle is to suck people in and then screw them over because most can't be bothered continually updating things.   The loyal customers end up paiyng for all of the extra admin costs of continually creating new "offers" and deals.  On the other hand try finding something that gives you a benefit or bonus after a few years custom. You will be hard pushed to find one.  It doesn't pay to be loyal or honest.  It wans't a glib comment - it's an established business practice.  The public are getting wise to it and companies that pursue such policies are starting to get the contempt they deserve.

Edited by asmay2002

No it actively penalises it.

Agree totally i have been a subscriber to BT for the last thirty years , no good deals there the, and worse the same bank since I was 7 ,the last letter told me that the cost of my borrowing has gone up , interest on savings has gone down, my credit card will cost more and I may have to pay charges even though I have been in credit since 1956!

fred Goodwin walked off with 6 or 7 million for stuffing up thre banking system( allegedly) I and the rest of us seem to be paying for that( allegedly)

• RMweb Gold

Try opening a bank account. You will get a good rate.  After a year you will be automatically shifted to a crappy one.  New customers at the same bank will get a "new" deal with a good rate.  To get back onto a good rate you have to close your account and get a new one possibly somewhere else. This is just one example.  There are many other "offers" like this from businesses.  The basic principle is to suck people in and then screw them over because most can't be bothered continually updating things.   The loyal customers end up paiyng for all of the extra admin costs of continually creating new "offers" and deals.  On the other hand try finding something that gives you a benefit or bonus after a few years custom. You will be hard pushed to find one.  It doesn't pay to be loyal or honest.  It wans't a glib comment - it's an established business practice.  The public are getting wise to it and companies that pursue such policies are starting to get the contempt they deserve.

Agree totally i have been a subscriber to BT for the last thirty years , no good deals there the, and worse the same bank since I was 7 ,the last letter told me that the cost of my borrowing has gone up , interest on savings has gone down, my credit card will cost more and I may have to pay charges even though I have been in credit since 1956!

fred Goodwin walked off with 6 or 7 million for stuffing up thre banking system( allegedly) I and the rest of us seem to be paying for that( allegedly)

Is it a full moon or something in the water.

I don't think I've ever equated the rolling up of good and toxic debt, into one package that caused the meltdown of the banking system, to an offer from a magazine to take out a subscription and see how you liked it over a period of time.

I sub to BRM for the content and piccies (and railway Mag and MRJ)  Judge it by that standard, and not what you think you're getting for free.

Edited by chris p bacon

• Administrators

'screw them over'? You pay £9.99 a quarter from Day 1, that saves you £21.79 a year in comparison to buying the magazine every issue. You also benefit from free delivery to your door and a discount on pre-booked tickets to our shows. 

If that's been 'screwed over', it's fine by me...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen,

All this garbage about supposedly being shafted every time a magazine publisher puts out a new "subs" offer is starting to get ever so slightly tedious.

The same goes for any spurious comparisons with "Fred the shred".

The magazine publishers - and the people who work to create their magazines - are offering us very readable magazines with content that interests a large number of us. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy these magazines - but a lot of us actively choose to.

The publishers are also offering us various packages to interest us in the idea of buying these magazines direct - in advance and in bulk. Again, there's no coercion - merely offers, which we are free to choose if we want.

I, personally, don't do subscriptions - but this is only because I actively choose to buy my magazines from my local corner newsagent. This is a personal choice - which I'm free to make.

Other people choose to subscribe - some have continued to do so over a number of years - their personal choice, which they are also free to make. I suspect that the majority of these people are happy that they are getting a decent deal - and I am not arguing with that.

However, at various times, the publishers have even offered existing subscribers the chance to switch to new deals, if (and it is "if") it actually suits them.

Let's face it, guys, Warners are not shafting anybody - and they are not even trying to. Perhaps it might be time to do us all a favour - and change the record.

Please move on - there's nothing to see. Let's get back to the trains - please.

Huw.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've recently subscribed to BRM, I have received part of the offer to new subscribers, a Corgi model an A4 cutting mat but no workstation. How do I get in touch with the magazine to see what has happened to the workstation?

Sorry if this is not the place to post, but I can't find a customer email address.

Regards

John Wiggins