Start of the Swanage - Wareham trial service 13 June 2017

PrestburyJack

Swanage Railway members will have received a letter about the start of the Swanage - Wareham trial service on 13 June 2017. The service is also advertised on the Swanage Railway website.

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news/detail/public-train-service-to-link-swanage-corfe-castle-with-the-main-line-at-wareham-for-the-first-time-since-1972

I have copied the important bits below:

"The Swanage Railway have announced the launch of the new Swanage - Wareham trial diesel train service on 13 June 2017.

The service will operate on 60 days this year, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays until 3rd September.

Class 33 / 47 diesel locomotives are operating the service, subject to confirmation by West Coast Railways, using the London Underground 4TC Unit, giving approx. 192 seats per journey.

There will be 4 return trains / day, leaving Swanage at 10:23, 12:23, 14:23 and 16:23.

Advance booking via the Swanage Railway website is recommended."

Swanage Railway website: http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/wareham-timetableandfares

NB - On the first day of the public service – Tuesday, 13 June, 2017 – the first public train will be the 2.23pm from Swanage that will form the 3.15pm train from Wareham. The last train of the day will be the 4.23pm from Swanage and the 5.15pm from Wareham.

(The first two trains from Swanage to Wareham and return on that day will be for Swanage Railway guests, stakeholders, volunteers, staff and supporters).

As reported by the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-40011037

I remember visiting Corfe Castle station with my family when on holiday at Lulworth Cove in 1975? when I was about 10, it's great seeing the progress made since, I'm looking forward to travelling, my ticket is booked.

Edited by PrestburyJack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that info. I will definitely get down there for one of these trips.

I walked the line shortly after closure and met one of the campaigners who were campaigning for this reopening. It's taken 45 years of hard work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good luck to them . I hope it's well supported. I was in Swanage in 1976 and again 1987, but regrettably not since. Despite that I've always been interested in the line , although it was only track bed in 76! Travelling through some great country through Corfe to Swanage I'm sorely tempted to visit . Swanage is also a lovely wee town , when I was last there a traditional British Seaside Resort.

Do the SR trains use a bay platform at Wareham, or one of the NR platforms?  Does it involve a fair bit of 'wrong line' running from Worgret Junction to Wareham.

I had  look at the SR Project Wareham page, but (like a lot of heritage railway sites these days) it's pretty thin on hard core railway information.

• RMweb Gold

Do the SR trains use a bay platform at Wareham, or one of the NR platforms?  Does it involve a fair bit of 'wrong line' running from Worgret Junction to Wareham.

I had  look at the SR Project Wareham page, but (like a lot of heritage railway sites these days) it's pretty thin on hard core railway information.

ISTR that they were going to put the section between Worgret and Wareham as two single lines. But the fact that West Coast are operating this service suggests that this has not been done yet.

Google Maps has recent satellite photo that only shows a trailing crossover at Wareham. So presumably timings are to connect with a down SWT train with the train to Swanage arriving/departing from the up platform.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Good luck to them . I hope it's well supported. I was in Swanage in 1976 and again 1987, but regrettably not since. Despite that I've always been interested in the line , although it was only track bed in 76! Travelling through some great country through Corfe to Swanage I'm sorely tempted to visit . Swanage is also a lovely wee town , when I was last there a traditional British Seaside Resort.

It still is a traditional English seaside resort, not much has changed since 1987 - and I mean that in a positive way.

Alternatively you can get the train to Corfe Castle and enjoy the delights of a traditional English village.

• Like 3

It still is a traditional English seaside resort, not much has changed since 1987 - and I mean that in a positive way.

Alternatively you can get the train to Corfe Castle and enjoy the delights of a traditional English village.

albeit that traditional English folk can no longer afford to live in either...

• RMweb Premium

It is a lovely part of the country. Lots of people go on about Devon and Cornwall, I've always thought Dorset as a bit of a hidden gem. The isle of Purbeck in particular.

• Like 1

It is a lovely part of the country. Lots of people go on about Devon and Cornwall, I've always thought Dorset as a bit of a hidden gem. The isle of Purbeck in particular.

I'm not that familiar with Cornwall, but I'd choose Dorset over Devon 9 times out of 9.
  • Like 1

There's no mention of the evening DMU service on the new timetable - is this a victim of the success in running to Wareham, are the railway unable to do both (I realise it takes a lot of commitment from volunteers to keep a service running to beyond 11pm)?

• RMweb Premium

The Bay platforms at Wareham were removed decades ago but  there are a couple of crossovers to facilitate run rounds and a siding that could potentially be used to stable the train between runs.

However given the local residents are being total NIMBYS and refusing to let NR add ramps to the existing footbridge (because they 'spoil the look of it' / are 'totally out of keeping with a small market town' / 'look hideous' / 'are unnecessary' / etc.) and thereby allow the foot crossing at the station to be removed (it is currently manned during service hours by a Dorset Council funded crossing keeper due to the locals being unable to obey the miniature warning lights and the consequent near misses with trains) then for the foreseeable future all trains from Swanage must be DMUs / top & tailed coaches that have to fit round the SWT timetable and disappear back down the branch to clear the main line as the ORR / NR  consider it too dangerous to perform shunting manoeuvrers while the crossing still exists.

Edited by phil-b259

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Bay platforms at Wareham were removed decades ago but  there are a couple of crossovers to facilitate run rounds and a siding that could potentially be used to stable the train between runs.

However given the local residents are being total NIMBYS and refusing to let NR add ramps to the existing footbridge (because they 'spoil the look of it' / are 'totally out of keeping with a small market town' / 'look hideous' / 'are unnecessary' / etc.) and thereby allow the foot crossing at the station to be removed (it is currently manned during service hours by a Dorset Council funded crossing keeper due to the locals being unable to obey the miniature warning lights and the consequent near misses with trains) then for the foreseeable future all trains from Swanage must be DMUs / top & tailed coaches that have to fit round the SWT timetable and disappear back down the branch to clear the main line as the ORR / NR  consider it too dangerous to perform shunting manoeuvrers while the crossing still exists.

Perhaps easier just to put in a second bridge with ramps?

But this really is NIMBYism to an extreme level. The area around Wareham station with a fairly hideous concrete road flyover is not particularly special.

• RMweb Gold

NIMBYism and stupidity, quite a potent combination.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

The sidings were upgraded a couple of years ago for the use of Swanage Railway. But the crossing has been a bit of a thorn in the side, in the past many using it have been impatience with the somewhat long wait,it is the only way that people, on foot, from the Northmoor area can get to Wareham town centre, and many are not the best mobile, but enjoy the exercise of a half mile walk into town. 

Edited by bike2steam

Both Devon & Cornwall are a damned sight wetter, Dorset is lucky as they both take most of the rain out of the prevailing winds. But don't tell anyone or it'll be flooded with 'grockles'. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam