A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Cameo layout front or rear operation

Having committed to building a cameo layout and with track laying starting soon I need to think about operation.

Having viewed a number of cameo layouts I would like to canvas opinion on whether I should be operating from the front or rear.

Front - means you can talk to the public about the layout and suits a higher layout height. It does take away space from the public viewing area and the controls need to be on the front.

Rear - the more typical location however the higher layout height will mean standing on a box to see over the back scene. You are also hidden from public view so no interaction.

The other big consideration will be siting the magnetic uncouplers for the sprat and winkle couplings. This would be easier from the rear but I am also considering a small cctv camera looking down on the furthest magnet.

Any feedback or advice would be most appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I favour front operation, for the reasons you've said, plus you get a far better view than looking down from the back.

For the remote uncoupler, if you can set a sight line of two other object from your operating position,, then when the wagons are in the right place they will line up with the sight line.

• RMweb Gold

I've always gone with rear operation in the past, but this time I am going with the front. The high back scene and risk of damaging the buildings will make coupling from the rear of the layout more difficult. Plus it's nice to be more open to discuss the layout with viewers

• RMweb Gold

I'm firmly in the (old-fashioned?) camp of operation from the rear. I will also be using 3-links and I'm not planning on standing on any boxes (I'd probably fall off), so the height of the layout will be set so that I can use the 3-links from the rear and over the top of the backscene. Fortunately, as far as this is concerned, I am reasonably tall.

• Like 1

F

I'm firmly in the (old-fashioned?) camp of operation from the rear. I will also be using 3-links and I'm not planning on standing on any boxes (I'd probably fall off), so the height of the layout will be set so that I can use the 3-links from the rear and over the top of the backscene. Fortunately, as far as this is concerned, I am reasonably tall.

Fortunately we live in enlightened times, so camp operation from the rear should pose no problems.

F

Fortunately we live in enlightened times, so camp operation from the rear should pose no problems.

Is that a demand for a particular brand of coffee to be supplied by the organisers, or that a tent is provided for the operators?

• RMweb Gold

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear this confirmed by your good and authoritatively enlightened self!

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear this confirmed by your good and authoritatively enlightened self!

Delighted to hear it, though, of course, how you obtain relief is entirely your own affair!

Great topic, BTW, which I have been following with interest.  Best of luck with it.

The box for my wireless control panel for Walkley Goods Yard (not planned as a Cameo, but could be made into one) arrived today. Just waiting for some circuit board to arrive, so I can start trying to cram an Arduino, radio transmitter, switches, LEDs and a battery into it. Then I'll be able to stand in the audience fiddling with what appears to be a very suspicious device strapped to my wrist, while everyone is mystified about where the operator is :). Automatic couplings and no fiddle yard means the layout shouldn't need giant hands appearing from the sky to ruin the effect! I've done 3-links on exhibition layouts, and they were fine 30 or 40 years ago, but I've no intention of using them now.

And you can join in the fun by saying out loud that the pratt of an operator has gone to Looe :)

...R

It wasn't uncommon for me to make rude comments from the public side of my layouts when other people were operating them, then wander round the back and take over control :).

The first control panel will just have a one way radio link, but I suppose future ones could incorporate a screen so I can watch, and control, the action on the layout from the bar, or a nearby pub. The layout would need some sort of protection from wandering hands and people leaning on it though, like a giant hand I can use to swipe them!

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a demand for a particular brand of coffee to be supplied by the organisers, or that a tent is provided for the operators?

And don't forget to bring along, within your entourage, a servant from the colonies.  In between serving the delicious coffee and chicory beverage at regular intervals, he could be assigned to fiddle yard duties.

And don't forget to bring along, within your entourage, a servant from the colonies.  In between serving the delicious coffee and chicory beverage at regular intervals, he could be assigned to fiddle yard duties.

Speaking as one from the "colonies", get yer own coffee matey! ;-) Besides, I'd rather have a nice cuppa...

Cheers,

David