First layout - (Untitled) GWR / BR (W) Shunting Puzzle

TheRockingRoadie

Hi All,

Thanks for looking - My name is Lorry and this is my first layout build, besides from a Hornby trackmatt when i was 12...

I've been out of the hobby for a long while; I was brought up with Steam Engines (ones without rails, normally found at the pub), and I'm also a musician, playing bass in various bands. After a resent career change, I found myself with more time for steam and gigging, but also decided to blow the cobwebs off of my mostly GWR 00 gauge rolling stock, which was still hiding in the loft. Next thing i know I've discovered eBay, and my loco fleet has expanded into early/late crest BR, and green diesels, oops!

Like most people, I suffer from a lack of space, and have always been drawn to the small inglenook shunting puzzles. I got to a stage where i was fed up of having to set track up and pack it away again, every time i wanted to 'play trains', so decided to build a small layout, to have track permanently fixed to, that could be tucked away when not in use. I started to put together a basic brief.

The brief:

-Small inglenook shunting layout, 00 Gauge

-Based in the Western region, but very lose as to a specific place of time, allowing flexibility

-Utilize as many items as i can from my previous modelling exploits

-Approximate dimensions of 4' by 1'

-Analogue control, with point motors and automatic tension lock uncouplers

-Code 100 track with electrofrog pointwork

-Easily portable, with a view to possibly exhibiting

One Saturday afternoon in April i decided to take the plunge, headed to B&Q, and knocked up a 4' by 18" baseboard, with an exterior grade plywood top, and 34mm square softwood framework. The board was then covered in cork sheet, which I obtained from my local model shop.

I settled on a track plan using a few lengths of flexitrack, a small radius LH point, and a small radius Y point. I invested in some Xuron track cutters, and have spent the last few evenings cutting track to length, and testing clearances using my existing stock.

Over the next few weeks, I will be installing the point motors, testing the uncoupling ramps (seep/Gaugemaster).

Apologies for the current lack of photos - I hope to get a few pictures uploaded very soon, but wanted to get this thread started first!

Many thanks for reading and I hope to keep this thread updated regularly!

Edited by TheRockingRoadie
  • Like 8

Thank you!

Here's a few pictures of the initial track laying / clearance checking, after the baseboard was made, and cork was glued.

Current debate is do I need to paint the baseboard Matt brown before I affix the track. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Looks like I'll have to work out how to get the pictures the right was up too!

post-31134-0-18453700-1496001550_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-63514800-1496001778_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lorry, as you are interested in Inglenooks I suggest you might care to look at my Hintock thread and post #1888 of May 20 in particular.

HTQ, Hintock Town Quay Mk2, is a further development of the original Inglenook and offers a more sophisticated application.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60526-hintock-gwr-oo/page-76&do=findComment&comment=2729008

Edited by john flann

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of posts lately - have been busy gigging!

I've been making progress on the layout slowly but surely!

I decided to add another siding, to add some additional operating interest. This will serve some sort of warehouse or cattle dock, but will be short so as not to clutter the area in front of the goods shed.

Track laying has continued, but I've realised I would like to paint the board first.

I have however been drilling the holes under the tie bars to allow point motor fitting, and have tested this using my left over Hornby point motors with the extended pins. I had trouble getting these to stay attached, but a little bit of gorilla glue seems to have done the trick!

Whilst ordering the extra track, I may have also accidentally bought one of the Hattons/DJ Models 14xx series in BR lined black! A local model shop also had a Bachmann MK1 brake in chocolate & cream in their bargain bin, so this was also snapped up! Very much looking forward to giving it a run out soon! In the meantime, here's by Bachmann Pannier...

post-31134-0-03874600-1497465225_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A quick shot showing where the additional siding is. The track will be cut just before the goods shed platform, so as not to block access. I imagine I'll probably put a cattle dock or something on this new short length... I'll see what appears in the bargain bin and eBay!

post-31134-0-05132200-1497545523_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really inspired by this months feature in Model Rail about Inglenooks, which has spurred me on to make some progress!

I finally managed to find some Matt brown paint, so the baseboard has now received its first coat!

The first point was already fixed to the board, to allow me to start drilling holes for point motors, and as reference for the rest of the Track.

I have also now soldered the two power feeds, and drilled holes at the toe end of the point for the wires to drop through.

Once the board has had a second coat, I'll get some more pictures uploaded!

I was unsure what to do at the right hand end of the layout, but think I will opt for the same idea as Peter Marriott, and have a 'storage tunnel'. In this case, the tunnel and scenery will be removable, to allow for safe vertical storage of the layout.

It will look a lot better when there are some "Dummy" sleepers under the rail joiners.  Be careful with those very short filler section of rail ,they just love getting out of level, and you have a nasty straight "kink" between the point and the Y point where it should flow.  A chunk of 3rd or 4th radius set track rail would smooth it out.  and bring the goods shed round another half inch or so. I try to avoid short pieces of track if possible, preferring to chop chunks off points for clearance. Whether its worth painting the baseboard I'm not sure, most goods yards had a uniform black / green sort of oily / grassy/ coal dust surface across the whole of the yard, under tracks and between in later years. often to the level of the sleepers sometimes to the top of the rails with flanges cutting grooves in the muck.

48" X 18" is a bit wide and short. plenty of room for scenery but unless you angle the tracks diagonally or through an arc the ratio of track to scenery is very much weighted in favour of scenery.  Open frames suit this sort of layout . A road or river Under a bridge at the right hand end would be a nice touch.  It might work better with the track nearer the centre of the board and then a single asymmetric 3 way could replace the Y and 2ft left and free up a bit more space.

Not very exciting photos but at least it's proof that the thing exists!

The framework has now had a full first coat and most of a second coat. Once I'm back from Weeting I'll start finalising the track positions.

Thanks for the tips DavidCBroad - I'll see if I can locate a 4th radius curve to chop up and make the transition smoother, as this is something I wanted to improve. In hindsight I didn't need the extra 6" of width, but I'm glad I did as it least it'll give me some space for a nice building or landscape feature. Please remember I had zero modelling experience until this layout started, so literally everything I am learning from scratch!

post-31134-0-66428800-1499969598_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-96845900-1499969649_thumb.jpg

I've also been buying stock, thanks to eBay and this wonderful little model shop I've found in Kings Lynn, that have a huge selection of second hand stock!

Latest acquisitions include;

-Hattons 14xx early lined black

-Bachmann 57xx Pannier in GWR green

-Bachmann Prairie 4575 in late green

-Selection of Bachmann MK1 coaching stock in late chocolate/cream

-Oxford Diecast BR(W) yard mobile crane teleporter thingy

-Bachmann K3 in late Black

-Another set of B-Set coaches

And yes, I realise pretty much none of the above is actually suited to this layout, except the Pannier and 14xx!

The K3 is in memory of a 3.5" gauge model I sold when I first started out as a musician (don't drink and eBay)!

post-31134-0-51018800-1499969968_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-42072400-1499970309_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-51823000-1499970369_thumb.jpg

Now back from Weeting - just about survived!!

I'm really chuffed with how the baseboard has come out. It's strong but not too heavy, and is more than fit for purpose.

The top had one coat, but the framing has two.

I'll fill the gaps in the cork underlay once I get around to doing the scenics.

I've got the day off Friday so hoping to pop to the local model shops to grab a few supplies, then I'll continue once all my jobs have been done!

I'm not sure whether to go with Humbrol Dark earth or Railmatch sleeper grime aerosol to weather the track. Then I'll probably use one of the track pen gadgets to weather the rail sides. Need to lay the track first though!

post-31134-0-54014400-1500483744_thumb.jpg

So today I've ventured into the shed (with post gig lack of sleep), so track layinghas continued!

Yesterday I popped to the great little shop in Kings Lynn to pick up a few supplies, and of course I had to buy one of the Heljan outside cylinder 136x models sat behind the counter

post-31134-0-10915600-1500727229_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-12620800-1500727301_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-18825800-1500727404_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We'll all my text disappeared from that post, which is rather annoying!

As I was saying...

Track has now been fettled with a file and stuck down wth exterior wood glue as per a recommendation, which I will let dry overnight tonight!

Before this was done, I also double checked the position of the uncoupling ramp with some stock, and drilled the holes after removing a sleeper. I made the hole for the locating pin too big, but this worked to my advantage, as I filled it with wood filler, then used the ramp to make its own countersunk hole in the correct position!

I'll venture into the shed tomorrow morning before gig three of the weekend to run a loco around and check everything has stuck proper!

• Like 1

So track laying has continued over the weekend between various bits of gigging.

It's just the one extra siding I added recently which now needs to be stuck down, with the third '3 wagon length' siding drying as I type this.

The happy accident with countersinking and filling the uncoupling ramp holes is working really well, with all three pairs of holes now drilled. I've only got one ramp so I'll have to order another pair ready. Should probably wire one up and check they work first though!

I've been running a Bachmann 08 chassis and a few wagons around to check everything works as planned and the clearances.

I've decided I'm going to add an isolating section to the next siding, should I wish to stable a loco and leave another on shunting duties.

Contemplating moving the goods shed from siding 3, to siding 2, and having the space between as a hard standing/crossing. I think it'll free the space up a little bit. I'll have a play once the track has been laid. I'll get the point motors etc installed before ballasting takes place.

post-31134-0-83932100-1501004494_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-09543300-1501004592_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-24165700-1501004680_thumb.jpg

Track laying has progressed well this week, with all track now laid!

The additional siding in the foreground also has an isolated section, which took a bit of fiddling to align the track!

Sleepers have been fettled and added where needed.

I've been to Trains4U in Peterborough this morning which was fantastic! Bought a few second hand wagons, then sensible items such as a Mains CDU, gaugemaster point motor, some wiring and another uncoupling unit, etc. Will definitely be returning soon!

I'll now turn my attention to fitting the point motors, the uncoupling ramps, and wiring everything up. Wiring is my comfort zone as im an A grade A-level electronics student, plus years of wiring recording studios, so no worries there!

post-31134-0-71598500-1501336128_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-98951700-1501336143_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

It's been a busy few weeks, but work has continued on the layout.

The first point motor has been fitted and tested with the gaugemaster mains powered CDU. I'm really pleased with the new Gaugemaster motors, so will acquire two more for the remaining points.

I've also drilled a slot in the baseboard which will connect through to the control panel, and have fitted "toffee block terminal joiner things" to the underside. Wiring for the isolating section, the first point motor, and the track feed has now been installed. I will tidy this all up later, but want to get everything tested first.

I've spent this evening drilling holes into a project box, which now looks like a control panel. The box was covered unmasking tape, measured up, and the drilled as required. I've secured the switches, and will wire them up whilst I wait for the next batch of parts.

I'll be visiting Trains4U again at the weekend to trade some old bits in and get some remaining supplies.

Desperate for some Railmatch Sleeper grime so I can get the track weathered and ready for ballasting!

post-31134-0-13885900-1502299232_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-46394700-1502299562_thumb.jpg