First layout - (Untitled) GWR / BR (W) Shunting Puzzle

TheRockingRoadie

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind words - it's certainly getting that way isn't it!

I've stopped buying stock for the monent... except a BR brakevan yesterday...

The idea is ill slowly collect a Loco and 8 wagons that reflect different regions and time periods, but probably best if I get the layout done first!

It's coming together nicely Lorry, - but you'll need a bigger layout at the rate you are purchasing new items of rolling stock! !  :scratchhead:

Regards

Steve.

(SIGTECH).

So yesterday I popped into Trains4U and grabbed another couple of point motors, as well as a Gaugemaster Combi controller.

Whilst the glue on the point motor pins is curing, I've had a go at crudely fitting one of the uncoupling ramps. I assembled the ramp and used it to ramp the position for the single screw hole. Once everything moved freely (much fettling required) I secured the solenoid to the board, and soldered the wires.

The control panel is already wired up and ready to go once everything is fitted to the board, so I made a mock up using Some spare parts. The ramp throws well with a positive action, although a bit noisy! I used a 6 wheel milk tank to test the ramp. I did need to adjust the screw so that the ramp had more height. I'll level out the board tomorrow and try uncoupling two wagons using a loco!

If all goes well then I'll fit the other two. If not, back to the drawing board!

post-31134-0-29487000-1502735008_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-40457700-1502735116_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This evening I have fitted the remaining two point motors, and wired them to the terminal block.

I temporarily connected my control panel and Gaugemaster MCDU to test that all worked well, which it did!

The only problem so far is I've now noticed that some of the terminal block screws are actually cross threaded. I have a few brand new ones so I'll swap these over shortly.

The wiring won't stay this messy forever - it's just for testing purposes. Then everything will be cable tied and mounted properly to satisfy my OCD!

I've got a few Basses coming in for set ups for the rest of the week, so the layout will be safely stored now until next week, so I can use my workbench!

post-31134-0-40018600-1502820914_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight I have fitted another uncoupling ramp - a little bit of getting was required, but overall I'm happy with how it works. They tend to stick slightly on the drop, so this is something that can be refined at a later date, once the bulk of the wiring is out of the way.

I also swapped the dodgy terminal block for a new one, and reconnected all of the wiring. I added another terminal block for the uncoupling ramps, and soldered the wires for the addition ramp.

I now have one more ramp to (purchase!) and fit before fitting the control panel and final testing can take place!

post-31134-0-74760300-1502907211_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-13071700-1502907297_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of content lately - September is steam rally season, and I've been busy with gigs, so not much progress has been made.

I've just come home from a Week away in York, where I spent a lot of time at NRM, and also visited Peterborough model railway show on Saturday. I may have accidentally picked up an old Lima railcar, and a Hornby suburban coach!

I also acquired a set of Kadee couplings to try out, instead of the electromagnetic ramps. I put together a really dodgy test track with a strong magnet underneath, and fitted kadees to a Bachmann Pannier and Hornsby shunters truck. I really really like the kadees, and the hands free shunting that they provide.

So... the decision has been made to move over to kadees!

I just need to buy a few more sets, and work out which magnets to buy. I'm looking at the 3mm square neo magnets to replace sleepers in strategic places. This will delay the layout a little longer, but I think will be worth the effort!

In September, I did take the time to run a few of my new locos in. Ohh, and I also bought an older Bachmann Warship

post-31134-0-33288400-1508185398_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-38077900-1508185760_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-39058500-1508185897_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that to trial the Kadee couplings properly, I needed to order some magnets to run some proper tests. After a lot of online research, I obtained a bag of 3mm cubed rare earth magnets, from an online retailer. These arrived quickly, and after a lot of trial and error, I found that the "two rows of five magnets" approach works really well.

I made a quick visit to Trains4U one Sunday and picked up a few more pairs of #18 and #19 Kadees, along with the 206 height gauge. I popped some music on and started converting some NEM fitted stock.

I then ran a few trials (and eventually a full inglenook puzzle), and have decided that this is definitely the approach I want to take. I have since uninstalled the gaugemaster electromagnetic ramps, which I imagine will end up on eBay!

I've put a larger order in for Kadee 18/19/20 so convert my current stock. I have a strange feeling that I'm also going to be selling some of my older, non-NEM fitted stock, to replace them with NEM equipped equivalents.

The only downside is that the strong magnets do tend to draw the axles so the wagons towards their field. Some users replace the metal wheels with plastic axles on the stock, but I can live with it, and have found that the wagons are less prove to move if they have a little bit of weight.

Next job is to glue the magnets to the track (they repel each other, which is immense fun and incredibly annoying), before balasting/weathering can begin.

post-31134-0-33254500-1509477210_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-61590500-1509477788.jpg

• Like 1

This morning I did something a bit different - I can't decide which way is best to ballast the track, and whether I want to add DAS clay a la Mr Nevard, or have the track heavily overgrown. I don't really want to test things on the main layout, in case I don't like the effect created.

So...

I've used the baseboard offcuts to make a diorama, which I will use to test ballasting and scenic methods!

I think it will just be in the form of a cutting, with a length off track in the foreground, and a buffer stop at one end. I may well add a building to add a bit of interest. I can then use the skills learnt on the main layout. This also gives me something to do whilst the magnets dry on the main layout.

post-31134-0-12860800-1509797926_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-36397000-1509798106_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Little bit of progress today:

I sprayed the track offcuts with Humbrol 29. Overall, I'm really pleased with the track colour! I've now stuck both bits down with PVA and have weighted the track whilst it dries.

I also started glueing in the Magnets on the main layout. I've used plastic from a document wallet to make tiny squares, which are glued between the magnets and the rails, in the hope to prevent short circuits. The first row on each is easy, but it's going to be hard to do the second ones, as they'll want to fly out!!

I also repaired the broken sleepers that were cut to allow for the previous uncoupling ramps.

I also quickly popped into town to grab some ballast, as well as another few sets of Ladees. I've got myself a set of the couplings for non-NEM rolling stock to use as a test. I've got a couple of old Hornby private owner wagons id love to use on the layout, should the standard Kadee #5 be suitable.

post-31134-0-48492000-1510417605_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-41957800-1510417625_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-89861200-1510417641_thumb.jpg

There's a rather large chunk of text missing from my previous post... never mind!!

I attempted to Ballast the test track on sunday. Unfortunately my mixture must've been too dilute, as the ballast didn't set. I have had another go tonight and hopefully this will set correctly! I'll report back!

But more progress today - I've glued another lot of magnets on each siding, which is now drying. None flew to the other side of the workshop this time, so I feel that's an achievement!

I've made another mixture of glue up, with more PVA content. The trouble I have is that the glue tents to lift the ballast out of the gaps and onto the sleepers.

I added balast to the rest of the test track and applied the stronger mix of glue.

I also went back in the workshop after about three hours of drying to "prod and poke" the stray bits back into place.

post-31134-0-90244200-1511018479_thumb.jpg

post-31134-0-15670700-1511018501_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After some more experimentation, ive finally got the glue mixtures right!

The text track is now fully ballasted, and just needs the odd bit of stray ballast removing from the rail sides.

I've also picked up some Humbrol paints to weather the rail sides further. I'll now start to make up some scenery formers, and maybe I'll invest in a static grass gadget!

I've also picked up another 64xx Pannier... oops.

post-31134-0-26069500-1511903238_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had some free time so finished painting the rail sides and chairs. Overall I’m really happy with the results!

The only down side is that the original spray of Humbrol 29 has faded a bit where I’ve had to re glue the ballast a few times. Will have to remember to get this right with the main layout. I guess that’s why this is the tester! I’ll also be more generous with the initial coats!

post-31134-0-79429600-1513278644_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello Lorry,

Re. the picture orientation: what device are you using to take the pictures? and which image format for storage? The device (may) record in the pictures EXIF meta information its own orientation, this may result in orientation issues depending where it is displayed. You are not the only to experience this issue: Apples iDevices are known (here on RMweb) for this issue. My solution is to clear this up with IrfanView (Windows). But there are other solutions, of course.

I like your project. Keep up the momentum. :senile:

Unasked advice: for each item of rolling stock that your purchase you have to sell one :sungum:

Best Regards,

Christian

Hi Christian - thanks for your reply!

I’m taking the photos on my iPhone 6S and uploading them straight to the forum, which by the sounds of it could be the problem! I’ll have to dig a camera out and fire up the laptop once on a while, so I can share some decent pictures.

Hahaha - with regards to rolling stock, I did trade a load of old wagons, buildings, tracketc in a few months back, to help pay for the controllers, point motors, and other things needed for the layout.

I’ve bought myself a few locos for Christmas, a 64xx PT and 56xx both in early Black, one of the new Oxford AA3 Toads, a Dapol tank wagon, Lima Railcar and various other bits. So actually, my stock buying addiction is worse than I let on!

Meanwhile, I have bought any new guitars or basses for a few months!!

Cheers L :)

Technology is against me today - just spent 20mins writing up today’s progress, and my phone restarted, how annoying!! Time to bullet point instead:

-Have assembled a Peco buffer stop, waiting for it to dry before painting and fixing to diodrama

-Backscene is too high for an embankment and will look silly

-Therefore, have decided to make a smaller embankment, with a single roadway

-24 card formers have been cut, with a little ridge for a fence, before dropping to track level

-Will add small cut out and retaining wall with a plate layers hut

-A very low relief/flat goods building will be represented behind the road

I’m hoping to give the impression that the diorama is a dark corner of a goods facility, with the road symbolic of the industry behind it. I’ll add some sort of clutter to build up a bit of a scene!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had an awesome Christmas!

Santa left a few locos and an awful lot of Kadees under my tree, so I’ve spent my afternoon off converting some more stock!

I’ve had to abandon the idea of the cut out and lamp hut for the diorama, as the landscape isn’t deep enough to accommodate the cut out. I wish I’d put the track another inch in the foreground, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! I have however finished glueing the formers. There’s a couple I need to make for each end, then I’ll cut some strips to lay across the top.

I’ve also had a go at painting the buffer stop - I used a coat of Humbrol 29 aerosol as a base coat, then dry brushed on Revell 84 (same as the track sides) and Humbrol 113, which is a similar colour to the baseboard. Overall, I’m really happy with the result! Just need to wait for it to try before I afix it to the diorama.

post-31134-0-23637700-1514398799_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I continued working on the card formers on Sunday, which is now ready for the plaster cloth. I might dig out the glue gun to strengthen some of the joints first.

I also attached the buffer stop, which has been slightly discoloured in places by the glue! Eventually I’ll go over the whole lot again, and add overgrown grass and weeds.

No new stock this update!! Just converting existing stock to Kadees!

post-31134-0-58532000-1515533378_thumb.jpeg

post-31134-0-85340200-1515533608_thumb.jpeg