Oxford 2017 - Announce - 'Oxford Structures'

Mike at C&M

• RMweb Gold

Thank you dibber 25 for the identification of the signal box as Moreton-in-Marsh.  Looking at images of that box, it appears that the "strange brick plinth" under the stairs, originally commented on, is a reasonable rendition of the prototype.  So it seems that Oxford got this right.   The brick colour is somewhat more yellow than the real thing, but presumably easily rectified if it offends? 

I haven't checked pictures but I suspect that it is similar to the surviving 'box at Ascott-under-Wychwood and to other OW&W line 'boxes such as Chipping Campden. I have a feeling that the brick-built landing was a feature of this design. It certainly didn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary when I first saw it. However, I only associate that design with the Worcester line and we still await a ready-to-run version of the true 'standard' red brick GWR 'box. Kernel (KERNOW - damned spell-corrector!) came close with Truro but that's a big 'box for the average model station. The new kit from Ratio should fit the bill for this style of 'box but why there's been so much concentration over the years on non-standard 'boxes, is hard to explain. We've been lulled into accepting that Highley signal box was typical. It wasn't - by a long shot! (CJL)

I can only find a few GWR signalboxes with the brick pier under the landing although there might possibly have been more and the Signalling Study Group helps us here.  The brick pillar first appeared on what they style as the GWR Type 3 signalbox but was an unusual addition to 'boxes of that Type; the last remaining example was Sarnau (reportedly since preserved off site) which was very unusual for its time in having the brickwork beneath the landing.  The Type 4 design was basically found on the Northern Division of the GWR and, as can be seen on the Oxford model, inherited some McKenzie & Holland design features.   The Type 4b variant - used only during the interlocking of the Oxford - Worcester line had the landing supported by iron brackets plus the brick pillar while the Type 4C variant (used only on the Rowley Regis branch) had a brick built coal store which also fully supported the landing.  The Type 4 design was only used for around 9 years being succeeded in 1889 by the Type 5 which finally saw all GWR signalbox design placed in Reading's hands

The Type 4b was thus of a very limited application and in any case the brick pillar arrangement was not universal for the wayside 'boxes on the Oxford - Worcester line, the original 'box at Blockley definitely had a different landing arrangement without the brick pillar; Adlestrop looks to have been different as well;  Bruern Crossing was a completely different design using a timber structure; while it looks as if the 'box at Evesham was also differently arranged as its stairs were from the station platform.  So all in all still a very unusual arrangement for a GWR signalbox.

Highley of course is a standard McKenzie & Holland design so suitable for a number of older GWR - particularly Northern Division - locations as well as other Railways, the latter albeit with detail differences.   As Chris ('Dibber 25') has said we still await a smaller size of RTP 'normal' GWR signalbox (even if defining 'normal' comes with a few caveats!) although there are a number of kits available.  Truro (East) is indeed quite large for most layouts as it accommodates a 51 lever frame but the Ratio kit is rather small for many places as it is only able to accommodate a frame of c.27 levers.  The Oxford version of Moreton In Marsh does at least have the advantage - if it is to scale length? - of being able to accommodate a 40 lever frame but it will still require work to make it even into a non-variant Type 4 (which still weren't a very common design on the GWR).  However a number of features are still unusual or lacking - the porch door is incorrect (it should be the standard GWR signalbox exterior door) although in many cases porch doors look to have been completely removed (assuming they were provided in the first place - they might well have been) and there is one piece of structure framing to enlarge along the front window line.  And there is no sign of a chimney which needs to be added either as a stove pipe or a proper brick structure at the rear of the 'box (that seems to have varied even within the Type 4b structures).  As ever the big problem could well turn out to be the addition of interior detail.

The GWR station building has now landed, with images up on Hattons. Is it me, or does the roof look to be of a lower pitch from the pre-production images? 

I do like the look of this, but surely the lack of chimney is a major clanger? How easy would they be to fit separately? 

CoY

I have one on order so that I can backdate it to how I remember Moreton-in-Marsh, with slates and chimneys. I don't envisage it being very difficult at all and I'll be describing it, in due course, in Model Rail. The omission of the chimneys isn't a clanger or a mistake, Oxford has simply modelled the station as it is now. (CJL)

• Like 2

I do like the look of this, but surely the lack of chimney is a major clanger? How easy would they be to fit separately? 

If my experience serves, separately fitted items like chimneys break off during shipping anyway (at least to the colonies where there are a couple of extra rubbers of package football involved).

I have one on order so that I can backdate it to how I remember Moreton-in-Marsh, with slates and chimneys. I don't envisage it being very difficult at all and I'll be describing it, in due course, in Model Rail. The omission of the chimneys isn't a clanger or a mistake, Oxford has simply modelled the station as it is now. (CJL)

To some extent the same may be said of the 'box as it seems that the chimney of the original disappeared a number of years ago.  However, recent pictures certainly shows no porch door:  the one on the model is just a stab in the dark?

• RMweb Gold

To some extent the same may be said of the 'box as it seems that the chimney of the original disappeared a number of years ago.  However, recent pictures certainly shows no porch door:  the one on the model is just a stab in the dark?

Do you mean the porch on the road entrance side?  That seems to have gone sometime ago and a new canopy was presumably provided at the same time over the double doors leading to the booking hall.  the canopy which is there now on that side would appear to be the third one in that position judging by old photos - originally just a canopy with much shorter valancing;  then the porch built into the canopy (which appears to have a different style of valancing from the original, photo dated 1956).

;and now a different style of canopy from both of its predecessors.

Do you mean the porch on the road entrance side?  That seems to have gone sometime ago and a new canopy was presumably provided at the same time over the double doors leading to the booking hall.  the canopy which is there now on that side would appear to be the third one in that position judging by old photos - originally just a canopy with much shorter valancing;  then the porch built into the canopy (which appears to have a different style of valancing from the original, photo dated 1956).

;and now a different style of canopy from both of its predecessors.

I was referring throughout to the signal box (and its "porch") not the station building.  In any event, CJL's pictures show the 'box clearly.

I was referring throughout to the signal box (and its "porch") not the station building.  In any event, CJL's pictures show the 'box clearly.

If Oxford has put an outer door on the porch, it is presumably a means of simplifying the structure by not having to detail the inside surfaces of the porch - which would be difficult with a one-piece moulding of this type. I believe I may have a picture of the porch on the station south elevation in 1965. I seem to recall it was an enclosed, planked timber structure. (CJL)

Here's the only shot I can find at present which shows the forecourt elevation of Moreton-in-Marsh before it was modernised. This picture dates from 1965. I believe I have a better shot of the porch but I'm unable to find it at this time. I believe the wooden porch was replaced by the awning when the station was extensively rebuilt in 1967. My notes don't make clear whether the chimneys were removed and the roof felted in 1967. I suspect they probably were. The wooden waiting shelter on the up side - visible beyond No. 6868 - (OW&W original) was also removed at this time and replaced with a portable-type building. 

The building depicted by the Oxford model was built in 1872 to replace an Oxford Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway wooden building described as being similar to that at Chipping Campden (see my article on Handborough in the current Model Rail - issue 245) - CJL

post-1062-0-41694400-1518890944_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There is also a picture of the porch on the excellent Warwickshire railways website. (yes, I know but presumably the Shipton branch got it in?)

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm979.htm

A number of other pics of Moreton on that site

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/moreton_marsh.htm

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

From those pictures I reckon the porch can be added to the Oxford model without much difficulty. The original awning with its near-flat roof would be more of a problem, as Oxford's sloping roof would need to be cut back. I'm really looking forward to this project but I can't start it yet as I have a couple of more pressing jobs. My notes from my 1965 visit suggest that I saw three grounded coach bodies - two on the station area and a third in a nearby field, while the crossing cottage on the (by then) lifted Shipston branch boasted a fine example of a blue and white enamel trespass notice. There was also a derelict building ( a stable, I think) built of alternate courses of red and blue bricks. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of nice shots of the overall layout of Moreton-in-Marsh station in 1929 on Britain from Above.

You have to log in to be able to zoom and thereby get a proper view: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/epw026880

PS: Just noticed the image is also in the Warwickshire collection referred to by The Stationmaster above - although on Britain from Above you can zoom in more, and explore the wagon loads  :) 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

There are a couple of nice shots of the overall layout of Moreton-in-Marsh station in 1929 on Britain from Above.

You have to log in to be able to zoom and thereby get a proper view: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/epw026880

PS: Just noticed the image is also in the Warwickshire collection referred to by The Stationmaster above - although on Britain from Above you can zoom in more, and explore the wagon loads  :) 

And one in my book 'Britain's Railways from the Air', from the Aerofilms collection, with a 'ROD' 2-8-0 in the station. (CJL)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering buying the station building to represent a fictitious London area branch line terminus set in the Network SouthEast era.

(BTW I own a set of platform lamps in NSE red with "North Southall" signs from an earlier initiative which was scrapped years ago)

As Oxford Rail modelled the GWR-style building in its post-1960s state without chimneys and slate roofs, this looks ideal for my intentions.

I'm considering buying the station building to represent a fictitious London area branch line terminus set in the Network SouthEast era.

(BTW I own a set of platform lamps in NSE red with "North Southall" signs from an earlier initiative which was scrapped years ago)

As Oxford Rail modelled the GWR-style building in its post-1960s state without chimneys and slate roofs, this looks ideal for my intentions.

It also has some 'modern' doors. (CJL)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a slight aside, I'm planning on combining the station building with some of the Wills station canopy kits.  I'm assuming that Railmatch GWR cream will be a close enough match for the station canopy, doors etc.  What I'm not so sure on is the colour of the door frames etc.  Could anyone steer me in an appropriate direction please?

As a slight aside, I'm planning on combining the station building with some of the Wills station canopy kits.  I'm assuming that Railmatch GWR cream will be a close enough match for the station canopy, doors etc.  What I'm not so sure on is the colour of the door frames etc.  Could anyone steer me in an appropriate direction please?

I'm assuming that we're talking BR Western Region era? Railmatch GWR coach cream and GWR coach brown will be fine for the BR era. Pre-1948 you need GWR light and dark stone which are in the Precision Paints range. In BR, the doors would be chocolate with cream panels and the frames would be chocolate, too. Most of the doors as depicted by Oxford are modern (post-1967 refurbishment) and don't suit painting in the earlier colour schemes. (CJL)

• Like 1

I'm assuming that we're talking BR Western Region era? Railmatch GWR coach cream and GWR coach brown will be fine for the BR era. Pre-1948 you need GWR light and dark stone which are in the Precision Paints range. In BR, the doors would be chocolate with cream panels and the frames would be chocolate, too. Most of the doors as depicted by Oxford are modern (post-1967 refurbishment) and don't suit painting in the earlier colour schemes. (CJL)

There is quite a bit of info on GWR station colours both pre and post-nationalisation on this site (along with some nice examples).

http://www.stationcolours.com/gwr

References: Moreton-in-Marsh station and signal box in 1996

Moreton-in-Marsh station looking up the line in 1965. 

All three pics are my copyright. (CJL)

I have, today, received the station building model from Hattons.

post-1062-0-17711100-1518779481_thumb.jp

Lovely shots of Moreton-in-Marsh there. I have a dream of one day modelling this station in the transition era (with a little bit of Rule-1 to say the Shipston-on-Stour branch retained its passenger service).

Does anyone know when the original wooden goods shed was replaced with the smaller brick one shown in your photo above? (The original can be seen here http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm976.htm).The 1952 signal box diagram appears to show the through goods shed still in place but this could just be representative http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm3173.htm.

The Shipston branch lost its goods service in 1960 so I guess it might have been around this time but I have no information to back this up.

I seem to recall that the brick goods shed was actually an extension to the timber shed and that the timber shed was burned down. I may be imagining things, though. Several of the smaller stations retained their Brunel timber goods sheds after the one at Moreton had gone, which seems odd unless it was burned by accident/arson. (CJL)

That would certainly explain the change. I am not sure if the brick goods shed was an extension though, it looks like a completely new structure.

If you compare this shot of the old goods shed http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm976.htm with this shot of the new one https://picclick.co.uk/Moreton-in-Marsh-Railway-Station-Photo-Adlestrop-to-252192456158.html#&gid=1&pid=1, it looks like they are situated in the same position with respect to the yard crane, the up main signal and the ground signal controlling the crossover.

That would certainly explain the change. I am not sure if the brick goods shed was an extension though, it looks like a completely new structure.

If you compare this shot of the old goods shed http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrmm976.htm with this shot of the new one https://picclick.co.uk/Moreton-in-Marsh-Railway-Station-Photo-Adlestrop-to-252192456158.html#&gid=1&pid=1, it looks like they are situated in the same position with respect to the yard crane, the up main signal and the ground signal controlling the crossover.

"The Shipston-on-Stour Branch" by S. C. Jenkins and R.S. Carpenter (Wild Swan) page 44, shows the original goods shed at MiM with the caption......'the Brunel-style timber goods shed on the right was burnt down c.1954 and later replaced by an austere red brick structure which still survives.'

The same caption also states that the waiting room on the island platform was replaced c.1962. That building was original OW&WR and might have lost its awnings in 1962 but the building itself was still there and in use when I took my pictures in 1965. I believe it was replaced in 1967 by a plain prefabricated building which is still there but due to be replaced - doubtless by a bus shelter. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25