Swanbourne Vale Light Railway

irishmail

After sometime planning and thinking about various ideas I have finally come up with a concept that I am happy with.  This will be my first attempt at an 0 gauge layout.  I have called it the Swanbourne Vale Light Railway. It is a freelance railway and is imagined to be in the Vale of Alysebury and the line ran from the villlage of Swanboure to Linslade. The size of the layout will be 10'6"  x 2" on 3 borads each 42" long consisting of two scenic boards and one fiddle board. I Would have prefered a bit more on the length but I am tied by the size of car available for transport to exhibitions and also majority of the time I will be operating the layout by myself. Today work has started on the baseboards,  3" x1" for the framework and 6mm ply for the top.  This will in due course be covered with cork tiles. 

I will post pics and updates as work progress's.

Regards,  John

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 1

Here is the track plan for my Swanbourne Vale Light Railway.  Train lengths will be a maximum of 2 x 43' coaches plus a box van, ( I have allowed for this with the run-round loop).  Locos will be either 0-4-0's or 0-6-0's  and the timespan/ era will be looslely 1950's to early 60's. 

post-11882-0-36234000-1496334929_thumb.jpg

The next two pics show a mock up of the proposed plan to check operating potential and clearances for the run-round.

post-11882-0-83325000-1496335015_thumb.jpgpost-11882-0-53530700-1496335029_thumb.jpg

The three baseboards that I made up today. 

post-11882-0-68357000-1496335153_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looks interesting.

Not only do I live close to the fictional locale, but I'm in Ireland right now, so there's a bit of a crossover.

If you need photos of local buildings or whatever, drop me a PM. If you're not aware, Swanbourne station still stands, in residential use.

Kevin

• Like 1

A little update on the progress so far.  Cork tiles have been glued to the baseboards with PVA ( not worried about sound deadening as the trains will be running at low speed).   First pic is an overall view of the scenic section.  I have used a few boxes and off cuts of wood as 'props' to see what the scenic effect would give.

post-11882-0-54362200-1496749883_thumb.jpg

The second pic is the end which will run into the fiddle yard.  I will be using buildings and tress for the 'view block' from the fiddle yard.

post-11882-0-99940000-1496749871_thumb.jpg

I have amassed quite  a few items of rolling stock over the years,  mainly Parkside and Slater's kits, so I need to go through them and decide what I need to run on the Swanbourne  Vale Light Railway (SVLR). 

Regards,  John

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 2

A little update on the progress so far.  Cork tiles have been glued to the baseboards with PVA ( not worried about sound deadening as the trains will be running at low speed).   First pic is an overall view of the scenic section.  I have used a few boxes and off cuts of wood as 'props' to see what the scenic effect would give.

attachicon.gifView of Scenic section.JPG

The second pic is the end which will run into the fiddle yard.  I will be using buildings and tress for the 'view block' from the fiddle yard.

attachicon.gifFiddle yard end.JPG

I have amassed quite  a few items of rolling stock over the years,  mainly Parkside and Slater's kits, so I need to go through them and decide what I need to run on the Swanbourne  Vale Light Railway (SVLR). 

Regards,  John

Nice looking stock, there.

I like your track plan.  What will the front siding represent?

Goods, cattle, coal or a combination?

Nice looking stock, there.

I like your track plan.  What will the front siding represent?

Goods, cattle, coal or a combination?

I'm gong to use the siding for mixed use, so will  be goods and coal  and some livestock traffic.

• Like 1

I'm gong to use the siding for mixed use, so will  be goods and coal  and some livestock traffic.

Sounds good.  For my part, I will also be combining the functions of sidings.  

I like the idea of the bay running straight on and off scene, saving point-work and overall length.  Will you use a motor train or some species of railcar for your shuttle service?  

• Like 1

One of the problems that the SVLR will face is that the countryside between its extremities is fairly lumpy.

While I was supping my morning coffee, I plotted what might be a feasible route, using the 125m contour as a guide. This would require either two tunnels or two deep cuttings, and one quite significant embankment. A more detailed survey would probably reveal opportunities to tidy things up by including some gradients, but the result will be something a bit like the Welshpool and Llanfair.

Short trains, and high operating costs!

Kevin

post-26817-0-48945700-1496835619_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds good.  For my part, I will also be combining the functions of sidings.  

I like the idea of the bay running straight on and off scene, saving point-work and overall length.  Will you use a motor train or some species of railcar for your shuttle service?  

Hi Edwardian,  For the shuttle I will be using a 64XX Panier tank and Auto Coach ( Currently on order from Tower Models).  Probably a bit OTT for a light railway but I like the look of it.  

It does save on space and point work having the bay platform separate, you have to imagine that the point work it a bit further down the line. I got  the idea for having the bay platform independent  from other small 0 gauge layouts that I have seen in the modelling press over the years.

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 1

One of the problems that the SVLR will face is that the countryside between its extremities is fairly lumpy.

While I was supping my morning coffee, I plotted what might be a feasible route, using the 125m contour as a guide. This would require either two tunnels or two deep cuttings, and one quite significant embankment. A more detailed survey would probably reveal opportunities to tidy things up by including some gradients, but the result will be something a bit like the Welshpool and Llanfair.

Short trains, and high operating costs!

Kevin

Hi Kevin,  I too keep looking at my OS map No. 165 for plausible routes. It will definitely be short trains, two 43' coaches and a box van maximum. . I think it must be over 10 years ago since I visited the Swanbourne area (was living in Bedfordshire at the time). One of the reasons for choosing the Swanbourne and surrounding area is that I have a lot of family ancestors from that area some of whom were involved with the Swanbourne Methodist Church.   I'm hoping to have a representation of this Church which I plan to use as one of the view blockers to the fiddle yard entry/exit.

post-11882-0-36426300-1496906937_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea, it's a very neat building.

The other person who imagineered a branch to Linslade was, of course, the Rev Denny. His version started at Grandborough (a real place, but a complete "nowheresville", despite the pretensions of its name) further west, but in reality it would still have faced the problem of the lumps south and east of Swanbourne ....... maybe he envisaged that it was somewhat more heavily engineered than a contour-following light railway.

The whole of the area under discussion, right out into North Oxfordshire, is interesting, because it remains exceedingly rural, although less than fifty miles from London. Vast swathes of it belong to the Rothschild family, who dotted it with mega-mansions in the late C19th, and the various tentacles of the Verney family, so I'm guessing that between them they've kept development at bay. Fertile territory for rather pointless railways, both real and imagined.

Kevin

I like the attention to the prototype geography - I'm a fan of layouts that feel like they're a part of a bigger world. And as Nearholmer observes, the area is an interesting one from a railway point of view, with lots of might-have-beens to play with. For instance, what if the Wotton Tramway had extended to Oxford as planned? What if the Metropolitan hadn't been absorbed by the Underground but had stayed as a main line railway? The sky's the limit when it comes to imaginary railway schemes.

• Like 1

Hi Edwardian,  For the shuttle I will be using a 64XX Panier tank and Auto Coach ( Currently on order from Tower Models).  Probably a bit OTT for a light railway but I like the look of it.  

It does save on space and point work having the bay platform separate, you have to imagine that the point work it a bit further down the line. I got  the idea for having the bay platform independent  form other small 0 gauge layouts that I have seen in the modelling press over the years.

Good idea.  You could even automate its operation, if electronically inclined, leaving you to shunt the station.

• 2 months later...

I cant believe that it is now over two months since I started this!   So a quick progress update on where I am at with this project. 

All track has now been laid and wired up, at this stage I will be operating the layout in analogue mode.  I have 4 switched isolation sections if I need to park any locomotives.  Platforms have been made and I am now in the process of ballasting the track.   I hope to post some pics of the progress next time.

Regards,  John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,  here are some pics of the latest progress on the Swanbourne Vale Light Railway.  I have not progressed as much as I would have liked, however all the track is now wired up and basic scenery has been started.  I will be taking it to the Erne MRC show in Enniskillen this Saturday (30th) in the Cathedral Hall.  At this stage it will be displayed and operated as a work in progress. 

The first picture is an overall view of the layout taken from the buffer stop end.

post-11882-0-38971300-1506530385_thumb.jpg

View from the fiddle yard end.

post-11882-0-12344700-1506530396_thumb.jpg

Temporary arrangement for view block for fiddle yard, long term plan is where the trees are will be a Church based on the Methodist Church in Swanbourne.

post-11882-0-00333300-1506530405_thumb.jpg

This view shows the baseboard join, the small gap in the backscene join will be disguised by a small tree or shrub. This is a vast improvement compared to the backscene on my Campbell Riverside layout.

post-11882-0-68660900-1506530414_thumb.jpg

A view of the goods road.  Eventually will have a loading platform and coal staithes on the right hand side.

post-11882-0-44971700-1506530425_thumb.jpg

So the next couple of days I'm planning to get a bit more scenic work done and look forward to meeting any of you who may be at Enniskillen this Saturday.

Regards, John

* not sure why first two pics have come out sideways!

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 2

Swanbourne Vale Light Railway is now loaded in the car ready for the trip to Enniskillen tomorrow.   This will be the first showing of the SVLR on the Island of Ireland. 

Look forward to meeting any RMweb members who may be at the show tomorrow.

Model Railway Exhibition:

Saturday 30th September
Cathedral Hall Enniskillen
10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Regards

John

Edited by irishmail

Hi all,  I am pleased to say that the initial outing of the SVLR yesterday in Enniskillen went very well.  Received very favourable comments about the track work and the rolling stock (Parkside, Slaters etc.). Track is Peco with Marcway points.  The class 03 which I built from a DJH kit someone asked if it was the Heljan model, so my kit making/ modelling skills cant be that bad. :sungum: .  

Brief description about the layout for show visitors.

post-11882-0-31287100-1506856541_thumb.jpg

Two pics showing overview of the layout just after setting up.

post-11882-0-38295600-1506856577_thumb.jpg

post-11882-0-87360100-1506856584_thumb.jpg

Terrier departing Swanbourne (Nearton End) with a train to Linslade.

post-11882-0-37879900-1506856640_thumb.jpg

View of the station and yard area showing all the current fleet of SVLR loco's. 

post-11882-0-12021700-1506856690_thumb.jpg

"Next train's gone!"

post-11882-0-68283000-1506856728_thumb.jpg

Regards,  John

Edited by irishmail
  • Like 4