Taken the plunge - modern image 00 gauge Transit van RC conversion

Pikey

• 3 weeks later...

(Nearly) finished version 2.0, with linear servo. All internals completely hidden inside the van - no more servo sticking out through the windscreen! A short video testing it:

https://youtu.be/1NDwzxST7iA

Here's the internals, showing the motor installed upright, and the linear servo in front of it. I've used 0.7mm brass rod as the linkage. This part screws to the rear of the van body, and there's a separate front part which screws to the front of the van body which has the steering fixed to it. I also managed to stick the dashboard and steering wheel to the front part - but couldnt quite manage the seats as they fouled the servo bar.

Its all worked out quite neat in the end:

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

I might be selling these in the near future, which is quite exciting! No idea if people are willing to pay what I'd need to charge for them to make it worth my while - but we'll see.

I'm going to be making a ballast loading layout to take to exhibitions and show off the road vehicles, including a Liebherr 580 front loader I bought the other day to actually load ballast into wagons - which was the original inspiration for all of this in the first place :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have about 5 or 6 ongoing projects at the moment, including an articulated lorry with a tipping trailer, the Leibherr 580 front loader, and a Land Rover Defender.

My flatbed truck has a faulty receiver, but when that's returned I should be able to finish it. Here's a video testing the loading ramps, which I'm quite pleased with:

I've used a 6mm motor with a 700:1 planetary gearbox on the end of it (!), mounted underneath the end of the loading bed, with the worm gear sticking out. The ramps are glued to a 1mm brass rod with a 19t cog which sits in the worm gear, giving a further reduction of 19:1 on the motor speed to enable it to rotate very slowly. This operates the ramps at a realistic speed. I'm quite pleased with this, as it was a bit of an experiment, and I'll be using exactly the same thing to raise and lower the tipping trailer :)

Got really close to doing a full test of the truck in the above video - turns out there's nothing wrong with the receiver at all, it just wanted to be further away from the transmitter to bind (something to do with signal levels). I was gluing the servo in position and a blob of glue went into the mechanism and jammed it all up solid. So I've ordered a new servo and will try again tomorrow.

It works :)

Except the battery doesnt fit in the cab like I thought it would, so I'll have to find somewhere else to put that. And it struggles with traction due to lack of weight over the driven wheels, so I may have to add some weight near the back end.

• Like 1

That was a high point - low points include cutting the entire front end in half, and superglueing not one but two planetary gearboxes solid (~£20 each)!

I have my receiver for it now, and as the 4mm motor didnt work for the arm I've ordered a 136:1 6mm motor / planetary gearbox, which should be able to raise the arm fully in about 5 seconds which is about right compared to the real thing. Should hopefully have it working in about a week's time :)

Fully working and loading wagons, you say?

Apologies for incredibly poor standard of driving, and many 'ooeeerrrrr' noises - this was the first time I tried it. Obviously its not quite finished yet, doesnt have the cab or the rear cover on, and looks fairly tatty - I think ultimately I will do another one and it'll look much tidier than this one, as it wont have been chopped about in all the wrong places. I've made all the mistakes on this one.

Pretty good though - a working ballast loader :)

Superb, I had no doubt you would achieve it. A prod and a poke on the first run is to be expected.

It works well and will only get better. You will have crowds 3 deep at exhibitions with that.

I love that new technology means that our model trains can now have more of a purpose when they arrive at their destinations.

• Like 1

A video showing some better driving. It takes a little getting used to, but I can now load two wagons in about half an hour before the tiny battery runs out of juice :)

I'll have to get my fiance to take a close-up with her proper camera, an iPhone doesnt do close ups very well. There's basically two motors mounted in the arm, a 4mm motor with a 1:125 planetary gearbox on the end, operating the bucket via a 19:1 screw/cog, and a 6mm motor with a 1:136 planetary gearbox which pivots itself and the whole arm around a fixed 30t cog which is mounted to the chassis.

I'm also going to rebadge it as a 566, as that's basically a slightly smaller version of a 580 which is ideal to compensate for this being a 1:87 model used to load 1:76 trains :)

• 4 weeks later...

Long time coming but better late than never:

Arm motor is a G135 (6mm motor with a 135:1 planetary reduction gearbox on the end) mounted inside the arm with 0.7mm brass guides/stabilisers, running a screw onto a fixed 30t gearwheel:

IMG_3837.jpg

Bucket motor is a G125 (4mm motor with a 125:1 planetary gearbox) mounted inside the arm and on top of the arm motor, running a screw onto a 19t gearwheel that pivots the bucket:

IMG_38371.jpg

Both motors are superglued in place with various restraints to the shafts, and wired to the receiver which is under the bonnet at the back of the vehicle.

The only place I can find that sells the complete range of G series motors is Sol Expert in Germany, although you can get G5 (5:1) and G700 (700:1) from Conrad Electronic in this country, along with a limited selection of gearwheels and cogs.

• 3 months later...

I've replaced the 4mm bucket motor with a 6mm motor, as there was just too much play in the shaft of the 4mm motor, and it kept disengaging from the cog on the bucket. The new motor works very much better than the old one, but does stick out a lot more. I'm not overly worried about this.

IMG_5406.JPG

I've also made the bucket quick release, so that you can now pull out the rod and replace the bucket with a different fitting. I made a forklift attachment by pulling apart a smaller forklift truck:

IMG_5411.JPG

And a short video of the forklift working: