Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Tim Hall (kalyr)

mcowgill

• RMweb Gold

I just heard that Tim Hall (aka Kalyr  http://www.kalyr.com/weblog/) of this forum passed away today after being ill for several months.

We used to bump into each other regularly at exhibitions and Prog Rock concerts where he was an ever present member of the crowd, equally well known to fans and bands alike.

I'll raise a pint in memory of Tim at the Panic Room gig in Cambridge later this month, we would normally have put the world to rights there over a pint.

Martin C 

That is a shock. I only knew Tim from these pages and from his Prog Rock writings, being a Prog Head myself. I read his reviews and always looked forward to his 'ten best albums of the year', buying several and getting into some new bands as a result.

I had noticed that Tim had posted very little for a while now without knowing the reason.

Very sad and so young too.

That is a shock. I'd known him from N gauge modelling for quite a few years but wasn't aware he'd recently been ill. He was always fun with a clever​ quip and observation. Very tragic especially as he wasn't that old.

G.

• RMweb Gold

That is terrible news.  I've known Tim for a long time now and he was always great to talk to about shared interests in music and trains (even if we preferred different parts of Opeth's career!).

I will miss catching up with Tim at shows and reading his well thought out comments on here and his blog.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

This is a real shock - I always enjoyed chatting with Tim at shows on a variety of subjects and listening to some of his recommendations on all things prog. A really great guy who we will all miss terribly.

Sincere condolences to Tim's family and friends.

That is a terrible shock, although I had realised I hadn't seen him at a Mostly Autumn gig here is York when I expected to, nor noticed him corresponding on here recently. He would often wear his anti Kettle T-shirts just to rile me!

Very sad, although if you tell me he burnt out I would accept that as reason, he seemed to get everywhere!

If anyone has contact with family please pass on condolensces from both myself and Julie. I'll get a message to Brian at MA.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

This is so shocking and such a shame.  

Tim was a prolific show-goer; I have the feeling that Tim was at nearly every single show that I either exhibited our club layout at or attended with Revolution.  I always enjoyed chatting to him and reading his thoughts on this forum, his own blog and elsewhere.

Tim always joked that he wanted to support Revolution but we hadn't done anything that ran in Cornwall which he modelled.  When we were planning our latest product I remember smiling to myself that at last I would be able to tell Tim we'd got something for him.  I am very sad that he and I will never be able to have that conversation.

Ben A.

The news has come as quite a shock to me too. I'd known Tim for over 20 years back when he was in  Slough club and everywhere else since.

Sad loss at such a young age.

steve

Well this is a real shocker for a Thursday night, or any night for that matter.

I well remember Claws from his days at the Slough club and the fact that one layout owner forbid him from touching any of his rolling stock.

A unique character and a loss to the worlds of prog rock and model railways.

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear about Tim. I don't think we ever met but he often tried to entice me along to prog concerts in the Cardiff area, and at some point I always assumed our paths would cross. Reading that very touching tribute on Facebook made me realise that Tim was also known to a friend of a friend of mine via his connections to music, entirely unrelated to railways. He obviously touched a great many lives and was clearly well liked by those who knew him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What a horrible shock- I never met Tim but always had the feeling that he was one of the good guys. It's thanks to his recommendation that I became a Mostly Autumn fan in my late fifties and I'll always be grateful to him for that.

RIP Tim and thanks.

I realised Tim was going to be a really good friend when he asked me to get involved with a model railway exhibition as part of a fete at his church, St. Andrew's in Slough.

That must have been over 40 years ago.

At the time he was running TT3 and my dad helped me build a 009 layout for that event.

My 8 year old nephew is now playing with that layout. It still hasn't had the green flock spread over its hills!

Tim migrated to N-Guage before we left school when he realised the model of the china clay workings he wanted to build was not going to fit in the shed at TT-Guage.

It didn't get far in N either, but he was still buying locomotives and rolling stock for it until that last illness.

We played trains. We played table games. We played RPGs. He read at my wedding and was Godfather to my firstborn son.

We had many many good times and I am going to miss him.