A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Atlas Engineering, Pyramid Works - 4mm industrial.

I have an initial idea for a layout, but it may change...

Time period: Probably 1950s/60s.

What is it? Er... well, it's heavy industry - steel, rust, dirt and smoke. An engineering works, with it's own foundry, that requires lots of shunting by small industrial tank engines and diesels.

post-494-0-27121500-1499105970.jpg

There will be subtle changes in height to give an appearance of the works being built on a slight hillside that slopes down to the navigation, which would have been the original reason for siting it here.As I have only four feet of scenic section to play with trains will necessarily be no longer than 4 short wheelbase wagons, or one bogie wagon.

The end with the works will be open at the back to allow access to add or remove wagon loads and the behind the scenes end will (hopefully) feature a traverser and storage shelves.

The backdrop isn't fully thought out yet but will have a curve at the LH side and a chimney will distract from the corner at the RH side.

Only the main buildings are shown but smaller buildings will be added as the railway develops and I see where things can be fitted and wil look right.

That's all for now.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14

4mm scale, by the look of the plan? ;)

Yes. I did put that in the subtitle bit when posting but it doesn't show up for some reason. It's OO and will use Peco bullhead plain track and their code 75 points. I know these cameo layouts are mean to be "finescale" and many people won't approve of this but I'm not about to buy a whole load of new rolling stock and locomotives to suit one of the finescale gauges and building my own track from scratch is something I have done only in O-14. If such a thing as a kit for points as short and tight as the Peco ones existed I would be tempted to have a go at EM (or even sticking with OO but with radii of my own choosing and with bullhead rail) but the finescale point kits that I have seen are for main line operation and they are too long and don't have tight enough curves.

My last layout, White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam, uses the same combination of trackwork and I think it looks acceptable in an industrial context where you can have ballast covering the sleepers and the whole lot heavily weathered. Besides, as these cameos are intended to be operated and viewed from near enough eye height, who's going to notice that the rails aren't as far apart as they should be anyway?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It's my belief that "finescale" is more an attitude than a set of specific dimensions.

Given that it's industrial, why not have a mix of bullhead and flat bottom palin track, i.e. Peco code75 with the sleepers spaced out a bit more.

Looking at the various photo albums from Gordon Edgar, industrial trackwork does allow a fair bit of latitude.

Mark

It's my belief that "finescale" is more an attitude than a set of specific dimensions.

Given that it's industrial, why not have a mix of bullhead and flat bottom palin track, i.e. Peco code75 with the sleepers spaced out a bit more.

Looking at the various photo albums from Gordon Edgar, industrial trackwork does allow a fair bit of latitude.

Mark

I have to agree with Mark. The finescale reference is more a state of mind, than just how the track looks.

I know I'm a fine one to comment, what with trying to build a Cameo in S scale and Irish Broad gauge. (I know I'm as mad as a bucket of frogs!!!!). I can think of several layouts that have misled EM and even P4 practitioners. Remember it's Your model railway, you do what you want to do.

Paul 4475

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mark

Absolutely, Mark. Couldn't agree more. I wish more people could grasp this simple concept.

David

• Like 2

Is the runaround necessary? I can see how it could be used to reorder wagons with limited headshunt space, but it would save one point.

I don't suppose it is absolutely necessary but having it will increase operational interest. Having trains hauled from the BR exchange siding means extra movement by having to run the engine round before hauling the train (or part of it) back out under the bridge to propel to its destination.

• Like 1

Looks good Dave.  I reckon your modelling definitely comes into the 'finescale' category in both 4mm and 7mm. The Peco track works well for you so stick with it.

Where are you going to build and store this?  I thought you were running out of space!

Looks good Dave.  I reckon your modelling definitely comes into the 'finescale' category in both 4mm and 7mm. The Peco track works well for you so stick with it.

Where are you going to build and store this?  I thought you were running out of space!

Thanks, Paul,

Yes, I am running out of space but if I have a re-shuffle of things in the shed I should be able to accomodate it. On the other hand, I am considering selling Nant-Y-Mynydd, so if I do that will create space and cash to spend on this layout.

I have been thinking about the track layout and I may flip it left to right, so that all of my OO industrial locos can face the same way, thus keep the Dingham couplings with the same end/facing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have done absolutely nothing about this yet. I keep coming back to it but every time I come to the conclusion that it's too difficult to build the baseboard..

I planned to buy one of those Tim Horn baseboards that come as an open-fronted box, a ready made cameo baseboard, as shown in the book. But to have the track on different levels would mean cutting holes in the floor of it for access to wiring, point motors etc.and then building the actual track base up on top of it. Worse still would be hacking a great chunk out of the front to have a base level for the navigation and when it comes to woodwork I cannot cut a straight line to save my life!

I will buy the baseboard first and then play about with track templates, rolling stock and locos to come up wiith something as I am useless at imagining things by looking at a track plan on a screen.

• RMweb Gold

If you can make a scale mock up of the baseboard out of foam board it might make it easier to see how to fit it all together.  Once you have the component pieces, you could ask a local carpenter to cut the wood for you.  (I've done this for the DM Four Mill Something project - one 8ft x 4ft piece of 9mm ply, supplied and cut for £60).

• 2 weeks later...

I have completely re-drawn the plan. It is now less full of track but should still be interesting to operate. Instead of going for a works within the scenery I am going for an almost claustrophobic look where there is nothing but works visible over the entire scene - wall-to-wall brick and corrugated iron buildings.

post-494-0-31977500-1502654361.jpg

Atlas Engineering Ltd. Egypt Works, Sheffield. 1915-1975

Rail access from the rest of the world comes through a gap between buildings, which are joined above the railway. The entire backscene will be low-relief buildings. Road access will be similar from the LH end. By using the buildings at the RH end as part of the fiddle yard I can run longer trains (4 wagons instead of 3 - wow!) and trains can be shunted into the buildings where the Great Hand From The Sky cannot be seen loading or unloading them.

It will all be on one level, which is easier to build and for such a small space will probably be more realistic anyway. Now I am happy with the track plan I will soon be ordering the baseboard.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to withdraw this entry from the Cameo Layouts Challenge.

In style it is too much like my existing River Don Works layout that I am currently engaged in building. Until it is finished I don't really want to take on another project.

I am also a bit short of cash at the moment, not to mention space. To make space I was relying on the sale of my Nant-Y-Mynydd layout but the prospective buyer seems to have lost interest.

• 4 weeks later...

post-19557-0-66093100-1505512104_thumb.jpg

Ruston ,thought this may interest you with your passion for industrial railways , its the scrap bay tippler at BSC Tinsley Park in Sheffield (English Steel Corporation originally ) photo is an official picture taken during the upgrade of the plant , bought of EBAY , copyright English Steel Corporation ltd

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 2