A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

Thank you Peter, I still have the main building to do on the upper part of the layout. At the moment I am working on the small engine shed. It is a Knightwing kit, makes a change from Ratio, it will have a new roof and it has been brick lined inside. Will show photos, hopefully by the end of the week.

As mentionede above this week I have been working on the old engine shed. As ststed above it is a Knightwing Kit which has been slightly breathed upon, by the addition of a "brick" skin on the interior. The kit roof will definitely not be used. I have made some rafters as you can see and I am wondering whether to leave it like that as if the roof had got so bad it was taken off , or to make a new roof. Some thoughts please. at the moment To cover up the odd bodge on the interior I,m thinking of a new roof.

post-7090-0-06285600-1522327087_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-58964300-1522327099_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-39646600-1522327117_thumb.jpg

and I couldn't resist this Arty Farty  shot between the back of the shed and the retaining wall.

post-7090-0-63584700-1522327185_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Over the weekend I've been working on the refuelling point. To make sure the pipes curled where I wanted them to I inserted some thin brass wire which also helped when almost but joining the pipes to their fittings. I drilled a small hole in the end of the fitting and left some wire sticking out of the end of the pipe which was then superglued to the fitting.

post-7090-0-73025000-1522678282_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the roof and one of the stand pipes developed a slight lean as can be seen in the following two photos. "Sprightly" by the way is a repaint of a maroon warship. I'm afraid I couldn't/didn't want to spend £164-00 on the Kernow one.

post-7090-0-11331800-1522678584_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-39434100-1522678599_thumb.jpg

The lean is being dealt with.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick. It is interesting tackling an urban environment.

I bet it is a completely different skill set; houses, retaining walls and 'grot', compared with fields, trees and grass. It does have a lovely feel to it as layouts go.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Just found this thread. Firstly, nice work on the "Railway Room"! Also I really like the way your layout has a spacious feel to it, without cramming sidings into every available space, yet remaining fairly compact overall.

Will follow with interest.

Martyn.

As a change from working on the "Lane" I decided to place some unbuilt buildings on the upper level to see how it might look before I start working on them. The large station/parcels building might need to be narrowed slightly, but I think it will work. This again is a Walthers kit and the cream coloured low relief building on the right is the remains of the kit which I built into the back of the hotel overlooking the shed end of the layout.

post-7090-0-35846900-1523181008_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-84434100-1523181024_thumb.jpg

There will be an overall roof from the end of the parcels building covering the parcels platform and over the footbridge on the left of the layout, resting on the arches at the back as in the original model and plan.

post-7090-0-55640300-1523181331_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning Alan,

There is a nice inner city feel to the buildings in the background. They remind me of the buildings surrounding the former Eye Infirmary on the approach to North Road station in Plymouth.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

As a change from working on the "Lane" I decided to place some unbuilt buildings on the upper level to see how it might look before I start working on them. The large station/parcels building might need to be narrowed slightly, but I think it will work. This again is a Walthers kit and the cream coloured low relief building on the right is the remains of the kit which I built into the back of the hotel overlooking the shed end of the layout.

attachicon.gifupper level 1.jpg

attachicon.gifupper level 2.jpg

There will be an overall roof from the end of the parcels building covering the parcels platform and over the footbridge on the left of the layout, resting on the arches at the back as in the original model and plan.

attachicon.gifcoloured drawing.jpg

Hi Alan

Don't narrow the building. It will help with setting the depot in a city environment where every where you look the buildings are trying to over power you. Very few model railways set in city centres have that feeling. 

And your Shell BP wagon has the wrong livery. Post war the BP part of the livery didn't have the white stripes either side.

Thanks Nick and thank you Clive for your thoughts and advise. The Shell tanker will be done. The building might be narrowed Ie not as far from the back-scene to enable vans etc to be able to look as if they can sensibly turn, unless of course I have them backing or parking straight next to the doors of the building rather than next to a deck/platform outside it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This week I have been working on another of the buildings, the one in the right corner, the "once" Grand Hotel. The main job has been anglesizing the Windows and the general look of the frontage. I think I have had some success. Photos later.