Cambridge Underground to Close

stewartingram

Not sure quite where to post this, but as it is a newspaper article I'm after...here goes.

Yesterday my mate of many years phoned me. He is about to write an article for the local society magazine, with memories of an article once published by the Cambridge Evening News in a Christmas supplement. He thinks it was in the 1960s. It was a spoof article concerning the imminent close of the underground system in Cambridge, which due to lack of use was going to close. Apparently the Market Square entrance was down the steps in the centre of the market which led to the toilets!. At the railway station, the entrance was on the wrong side of the tracks, passengers had to cross the lines to reach the main station (platforms 1 & 4 of the present layout).

Does anyone remember this article, or better still have a copy? I have vague recollections of it, my mate certainly has. Before retirement he used to work for the News, and did ask their lady librarian to find the article for him but she never got round to it before leaving.

Stewart

• 3 months later...