Bachmann's Best Ever Models

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Now they do. Some years ago, I was always nervous about a new Bachmann loco arriving because rough runners were all too common. Touch wood, that seems to have been overcome now.

Agreed . Around the time the K1 and Jinty were introduced. I haven't bought Bachmann for at least two years, I think the last one was the 64XX or maybe the C1 from Locomotion, but these were certainly smooth runners.

A few extra bits of pipework and adding the fire iron guards will improve it (WD 2-8-0). As will some finer tender wheels.

Very much so, and I think this is part of what Bachmann do so very right: their products have typically been good 'canvasses' which are ready to be improved upon with detail work of the owner's choice. (Just the fact that the tampo printing is a simple 'soften with IPA or similar' job to remove, means that all models are effectively supplied un-numbered which is a major asset.)

Having perforated my finger tips several times on the (excellent) 247 Products fire iron rack, is my guess at why Bach elected to leave this prominent detail off...

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann in the diesel world make a lot of good models of engines you need more than one of. Its clever of them to select these over ones that might be more diverse, but have a smaller class. So engines such as the class 37, 47 and 66 I think are really good. They have been done to a good standard overall.

Class 47? No way. The 47/0 tooling with its incorrect cab window rivets and too square cab door windows is crying out for a retool.

Class 85 , it's a big left field but it's a beautiful model straight from the box and I struggle to find a fault from pretty much any angle, it's also the first time a real effort at a quality AC electric was made and it hit the bullseye for me.

Coach wise , I would also go for the inspection saloon.....stunning.

As for wagons , the polybulk / traffic services bogie hopper is head and shoulders above the competition, truly a benchmark.

• Like 3

... it's a case of applying the thumbscrews...

The particular screw to adjust on the C class is the one permitting the tender to sit at correct spacing from the cab end of the loco so that the fall plate bridges the gap! On this model and the 3F, the excellent slide concept for this spacing is of slightly flawed execution. But take apart the tender slide mounting and modify lightly for greater travel, and you can make it work the way it should. (It's correctly executed on the eight coupleds I have looked at, and the J11.)

• RMweb Gold

Ah, it's got to be the Toad brakevan for me. All those moulded in handrail details, and the glazing, so you can look through the inside....

C'mon people, it's Friday!

Ian

Fair point, tph, and a nice counterpoint to this Baccy lovefest,  They haven't eliminated all the dogs from the catalogue yet; this model is not any better than the Airfix or is it Mainline one that it is genetically descended from, which dates back to the late 70s or early 80s and was pretty run of the mill then.  I have 2 of them and am looking forward to the release of Hornby's new version with separate handraills; handrails are such a prominent feature of toads that it is particularly important to get them right.  I may even spring for a 4-wheeled Oxford one as well, or even a 6-wheeler retained for Cwmdimbath's vicious gradients to use on the colliery trip.  Brake blocks that look as if they might be intended to bear on to the wheels rather than waggle about pointlessly in mid air might improve things as well, and as for the block of solid material that represents the sanding lever...

Mine have glazing, which makes a big difference, and replacement stove pipes to dispense with the pronounced taper of the original, so that it could be released from the mould, but these are scheduled for withdrawal as soon as better ones are available.  What I really want is one with an opening wooden shutter in the non-verandah end so the guard can attach or remove the tail lamp; then I can have a go at some interior detail.  I can dream, can't !?

• Like 1

I only have an E4 and a couple of Cs by Bachmann,  both are exquisite :) Edit:  (if we're talking about locos)

Although the only other Bachmann things I have are a handful of wagons, ask me again when the Birdcage stock and H2 are released ;) 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

• RMweb Gold

I'll see your Toad, and raise you some panelled LMS coaches...and Collett sunshine stock.  :secret:

Fair point, tph, and a nice counterpoint to this Baccy lovefest,  They haven't eliminated all the dogs from the catalogue yet; this model is not any better than the Airfix or is it Mainline one that it is genetically descended from, which dates back to the late 70s or early 80s and was pretty run of the mill then.  I have 2 of them and am looking forward to the release of Hornby's new version with separate handraills; handrails are such a prominent feature of toads that it is particularly important to get them right.  I may even spring for a 4-wheeled Oxford one as well, or even a 6-wheeler retained for Cwmdimbath's vicious gradients to use on the colliery trip.  Brake blocks that look as if they might be intended to bear on to the wheels rather than waggle about pointlessly in mid air might improve things as well, and as for the block of solid material that represents the sanding lever...

Mine have glazing, which makes a big difference, and replacement stove pipes to dispense with the pronounced taper of the original, so that it could be released from the mould, but these are scheduled for withdrawal as soon as better ones are available.  What I really want is one with an opening wooden shutter in the non-verandah end so the guard can attach or remove the tail lamp; then I can have a go at some interior detail.  I can dream, can't !?

I wouldn't mind betting is that, if a nice e-mail made it to Brassmasters, what is their angle on an overlay detail etch for a generic overlay for a toad, such as the AA21-AA23 van? Basically, scrape off the Ratio mouldings, and re-use all of the detailing packs. We know they have a great experience of the  Airfix/Hornby autocoaches, and it's not beyond the capabilities to turn out a great looking vehicle. Not to mention, they might make the variations for an AA15, which fitted the timeline perfectly.

Ian

The 66 is probably the most essential model out there for modern image modellers so deserves a shout I think!

attachicon.gifIMG_2444.JPG

Men in sheds.....  :jester:

tbh most of my Bachmann locos are very ordinary green and blue 25s, 20s.and 08s. And a maroon Wickham trolley. And a green (1957 livery) 10001. Apart from that, I've an old wobbly 4-6-0 4MT, and the Coal Tank.

Fourty isn't it for the LMS coaches, didn't they first appear in the 1977 catalogue? The colletts are positively sprightly, being from '81.

Which goes to show how good they were at the time of release compared to most of the competition who were still releasing generic coaches that looked vaguely like the prototypes.

For me it's the L & Y 2-4-2T. Never thought that I would ever see one of those made RTR. Just need to get some carriages for it now.

I think the USA tank is another one that is right up there with the best ever RTR models by any manufacturer.

Jason

I wouldn't mind betting is that, if a nice e-mail made it to Brassmasters, what is their angle on an overlay detail etch for a generic overlay for a toad, such as the AA21-AA23 van? Basically, scrape off the Ratio mouldings, and re-use all of the detailing packs. We know they have a great experience of the  Airfix/Hornby autocoaches, and it's not beyond the capabilities to turn out a great looking vehicle. Not to mention, they might make the variations for an AA15, which fitted the timeline perfectly.

Ian

Brassmasters? Isn't it Dart Castings that do the autocoach detailing kit?

Jason