Bachmann's Best Ever Models

Hilux5972

Everyone seems to be mention locomotives (mainly steam) but if I'd like to put on the Bachmann pca wagon in either bcc or plain grey.

Much as one can admire a superb model of a wagon or indeed carriage, the steam loco is still my choice...

post-7929-0-68965300-1509482604_thumb.jpg

Here is ex-GCR D11/1 LNER 5511 with crew posing, a la cigarette cards of the days.

picture edited

The pic to me evokes the kind of express running described by O S Nock in p163-168 of the 1947 publication 'British Locomotives at Work' where GCR locos were thrashed on tight schedules between Marylebone and Sheffield and beyond, keen crews, very strong engines, 80-90mph running was common..

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

The Compound and all their ex Midland locomotives are stunning.  The 3F is superb, and despite it being slightly let down by the drawbar, it looks fantastic and runs so well.  I'm very excited for the Midland 1P if it is upto the standard of these models.  The L&Y class 5 is another fantastic model along with the recently released Webb Coal tank.

Edit:  How could I forget the Dukedog and the City Class?  They are stunning

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

Today at least it has to be the 3700 class, seen here in the last days of 3710 'City of Bath' in the late-1920s, when presumably it wouldn't have had full lining, but rule one is applied...

post-7929-0-60005600-1513223917_thumb.jpg

In any event 3710 is toiling upgrade with 300 tons or 9-total, no trouble on those grades with a keen and skilled crew. I'd love to know what the official ratings were for these engines on the steeper GWR grades.  

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Agreed, I've three of them, and whilst I've only managed a re-number on two and addition of the "bits" on all three, they all run just luvverly, I was even lucky enough to get one the now renumbered 73080 'Merlin' complete with an excellent sound decoder equipped for a song on eBay  :)

Since no-one as yet as provided pictures, here are the 5MT examples, together with my other favorite in this topic the Bachmann 9F which I think is stunning.

NOTE: Before there are the obvious comments, I KNOW the tender is wrong for the renumbers, but rule #1 and I WANT the roster of BR/SR named 5MTs, this was an easy way to build the class - I've one other (73081 'EXCALIBUR', correct tender) but it's a DJH custom build - only a FEW more to go  ;)

attachicon.gif73069-1.gif

attachicon.gif73080-1.gif

attachicon.gif73082-1.gif

attachicon.gif92249-1.jpg

I've always regarded the cab of the 5MT as too wrong. Why do the sides continue upwards above the rainstrip over the windows, as if the windows and rainstrip need to be pushed up a tad. They got it right with the 9F etc.. Just can't look at it. It seems exaggerated on the Farish one. 

I've always regarded the cab of the 5MT as too wrong. Why do the sides continue upwards above the rainstrip over the windows, as if the windows and rainstrip need to be pushed up a tad. They got it right with the 9F etc... 

The 5MT was their first attempt at a BR standard tender loco, and frankly seemed to be a bit accident prone with further problems in addition to the cab sides. Notably the mechanism design was not the smartest piece of work, and had to be fiddled with in order to obtain traction and speed resembling the prototype performance; while the tenders either boasted an extra wiggle at the front of the side sheets (still present) or a really deviant rendition of the top curvature in the case of the BR1F - that fortunately got corrected for the 9F. Along with the near contemporary BR std 4MT 2-6-4T and WD 2-8-0 it offered some obstacles to easy separation of body and mechanism, just to ice the cake. It was well off the pace of the other early Blue Riband releases, of which my continuing favourite is the WD 2-8-0. (Looks right, works right, fine subject choice.)

However, taken overall at introduction it was comfortably superior to any 'black' tender loco in Hornby's range at the time, which business was the sole competing outfit with OO RTR steam models in production.

I've always regarded the cab of the 5MT as too wrong. Why do the sides continue upwards above the rainstrip over the windows, as if the windows and rainstrip need to be pushed up a tad. They got it right with the 9F etc.. Just can't look at it. It seems exaggerated on the Farish one. 

You're right about a minor detail on the standard 5, but it's not stopped me having 6 as well as re-motoring them to give better haulage. :sungum: edit - I agree with 34(C ?) about the WD, but I also have a liking for the 'Duck-8' er sorry 'Super-D' .

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann do a nice job of their ex-Midland Railway/ LM&SR locos.

Here's a couple of mine..

Rob

post-14122-0-46026900-1513276658_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-81012000-1513276808_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-93401600-1513277031_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

From Ian Abel July 2017

>>Agreed, I've three of them, and whilst I've only managed a re-number on two and addition of the "bits" on all three, they all run just luvverly, I was even lucky enough to get one the now renumbered 73080 'Merlin' complete with an excellent sound decoder equipped for a song on eBay   :)

Since no-one as yet as provided pictures, here are the 5MT examples, together with my other favorite in this topic the Bachmann 9F which I think is stunning.

NOTE: Before there are the obvious comments, I KNOW the tender is wrong for the renumbers, but rule #1 and I WANT the roster of BR/SR named 5MTs, this was an easy way to build the class - I've one other (73081 'EXCALIBUR', correct tender) but it's a DJH custom build - only a FEW more to go   ;)

attachicon.gif73069-1.gif

attachicon.gif73080-1.gif

attachicon.gif73082-1.gif

attachicon.gif92249-1.jpg

<<

Lovely photos!

I agree the 5MT and 9F are both superb models, I don't really notice the rainstrip thing, but tend to notice on 00 models thick wheels and flanges and valve gear eccentrics going the wrong way, each to their own!

Sorry I messed up with the quote etc hope it works.

Edited by robmcg

After Ian's lovely pics, especially 92249, I must add a pic of the sad last days of steam on the Southern in 1967, when many and various Standard 5MTs worked 'to the end' with various tenders I might add.

Here is 73022 in what isn't really Nine Elms  but when has that ever stopped me?  Facts?  pah!

post-7929-0-46821400-1513284272_thumb.jpg

cheers

Something like this ya mean, but with a bit of colour, and not what looks like a crane jib sticking out of the back of the tender. Same loco at Nine Elms about mid 1966, pic taken by me with an old Box Brownie.

attachicon.gifScan.jpg

Exactly!  and I had a Box Brownie too...   8 exposures per hard-earned film.   FP3 Ilford if I remember correctly, or Kodak, learning to load film and remove it was an art!  :)

• Like 1

For me its the A1, 9F, WD 2-8-0, 37,40 & 66.

Never owned any of the other locos or units mentioned so far so I can't comment on those.

Apart from problems with the first batch of A1's, the steam choice is good, I have no interest in 'paraffin cans'. :sungum: 

... the steam choice is good, I have no interest in 'paraffin cans'.

They truly excelled on the NRM commission of DP1, which for its funky styling with lingering hints of the art deco epoch, gorgeous colouring, outrageous sound effects and great performance is clearly an honorary steam loco. Still think it is the best plastic bodied diesel model offered in OO. The quality of the modelling as good as any rival, and it has the imperishable advantage of being based on Jean Shrimpton or David Niven (select according to taste), rather than Bessie Braddock, Clement Attlee, or most recently Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

• Like 1

I detect a new respect for Bachmann's 9F in its many forms,  but to be honest Bachmann's standard have been so high that it's easier to pick the models which don't quite measure up!  The D11 front bogie frame area has always niggled me, and there are other things like the absolute accuracy of 3700 class 'City of London' being completely wrong in livery choice and specification (ignoring that it is very attractive!).  Or the firebox below the running plate on the Standard 5MT...  

Maybe we should change the thread title to 'Bachmann's Minor Errors and Shortcomings'... but there aren't many in recent 1999-on RTR 00 steam at least.

An edited 9F pic... 92233 on one of those semi-rural mineral workings latterly done by Class 37s?

post-7929-0-47769800-1513446791_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

On the subject of good Bachmann models, the Midland/LMS Compound has to be up there.

In making a pic of Millhouses/Nottingham-based 41021 built in 4/1906 withdrawn in 9/1952 , it being an 'original' Midland 'Seven-footer', I found myself trying to work out which chimney, dome, boiler and so on it might have had by 1950..  and ended up guessing, a cut-down Midland type chimney and original dome, or something like it maybe?

post-7929-0-54156300-1513369711_thumb.jpg

picture edited

p.s. can someone please tell me at which number LMS 4P Compounds from 1923-on changed from right-hand drive to left-hand drive, I used to know this but cannot find the actual number, 41096-on or something?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Excellent pic, takes me back to the days when I was a kid watching 9F's, and WD's on the ( what seemed to me) endless procession of iron ore trains, and return empties on the old S&MJR outside Kineton, Warwickshire in the early 1960's. :sungum:

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

I detect a new respect for Bachmann's 9F in its many forms,  but to be honest Bachmann's standard have been so high that it's easier to pick the models which don't quite measure up!  The D11 front bogie frame area has always niggled me, and there are other things like the absolute accuracy of 3700 class 'City of London' being completely wrong in livery choice and specification (ignoring that it is very attractive!).  Or the firebox below the running plate on the Standard 5MT...  

Maybe we should change the thread title to 'Bachmann's Minor Errors and Shortcomings'... but there aren't many in recent 1999-on RTR 00 steam at least.

An edited 9F pic... 92233 on one of those semi-rural mineral workings latterly done by Class 37s?

attachicon.gif92233_9F_Country_3abc_r1200.jpg

cheers

Rob - I am trying to split fiction from reality in this image. I am assuming the 9F is the Bachmann model but what are the wagons behind it ?

The brake levers are running the wrong way for them to be real wagons or models of real wagons, unless they were assembled wrongly ? Or were they part of an image which has been reversed ?

Rob - I am trying to split fiction from reality in this image. I am assuming the 9F is the Bachmann model but what are the wagons behind it ?

The brake levers are running the wrong way for them to be real wagons or models of real wagons, unless they were assembled wrongly ? Or were they part of an image which has been reversed ?

Oops, my mistake entirely, they will be from an image which has been reversed. How jarring it now looks!  I used to get signal posts the wrong way round too.

I will edit the pic and reverse them shortly.  

Thanks for pointing it out (and I even worked as a shunter for a time in 1973 in an oil installation, well, I loaded wagons, others placed them in 'my' siding. :)