Model vans and trucks you wish you could buy but cant!

Busstopprints

• RMweb Premium

Here's the R.Parker Ford Anglia estate kit made up. There are quite a few Japanese cars made in 1:80 scale, which is what they use for H0, but the Nissan Prairie isn't one though it is available in S scale (1:64).

The same colour (Anglia estate) as mine as well. I do have the Nissan Prairie model although it is of the home market model with 7 seats as opposed to the 5 seat export model like mine. There are several good models in that range for those who model S scale including a late 50's/early 60's Hillman Minx which was built under licence in Japan as was the Austin A50 but I am not aware of any models of those.

Watching the traffic today I was thinking that some modern pick-up trucks would be useful, they are everywhere.

Such as:

VW Amarok

Ford Ranger

Kia Rampage

Toyota HiLux

Renault Alaskan

Plenty of colour options and body styles

steve

• Like 1

That's useful to know, Russ, any idea what shade yellow PO vans are?

Steve

All PO Telecoms vehicles were painted to a BS numbered shade of yellow, the actual number should be available somewhere on the internet but I can't remember what it was. All vehicles, regardless of manufacturer were painted in it from new as part of the PO/ BT spec which also included white bumpers, no hubcaps, no brightwork or added trim pieces and a basic, de-spec interior.

In reality the shade of yellow did differ from batch to batch, and of course it faded. All repairs were hand painted until the 1990s, unless it was an outside contracted repair, which usually revealed some big differences in the shade of yellow on repaired vehicles.

When the Business Systems division of BT was launched in 1986, with blue painted vans, the nearest shade in the manufacturer standard range was chosen, presumably down to much smaller batches. In reality most were Maestros so the blue was the Austin Rover standard navy colour, Russ can perhaps elaborate on that.

Still waiting for a range of decent RTR N/2mm scale, bog-standard, common-or-garden, popular, top selling peoples private saloon/hatchback cars from the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

Oh, and some London buses from that era like a Leyland Titan:

post-33-0-94223600-1511005424_thumb.jpg

G

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4

Stand on any busy road and  you will see a Skip Lorry but ignored by RTP makers.

Both RailNScale and P&D Marsh (Dodge Commando cab) do skip lorry kits and they're easy enough to bash from other lorry models:

post-33-0-18651100-1511123251_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

I know I've married a  EFE Bedford TK and a Kibri  body but still surprised no ones made a ready to plonk one .

Perhaps it's because there are kits available which will have satisfied some of the demand. I understand that Wiking do a RTP one and there's quite a few large scale toys of them available, but, yep, nothing really suitable RTP for the railway modeller that I'm aware of.

G

Concrete mixers are another one , always very popular in the  old Matchbox range  albeit wrong scale for RM ( there later Foden ones were great models for cheap toys )  but no British RTP ones currently .

Edited by jcb 3c

Concrete mixers are another one , always very popular in the  old Matchbox range  albeit wrong scale for RM ( there later Foden ones were great models for cheap toys )  but no British RTP ones currently .

Wiking, Tomytec, Maruka and Bandai all produce RTP concrete mixers.

HTH

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's useful to know, Russ, any idea what shade yellow PO vans are?

Steve

Sorry Steve missed this post

Post office/ BT BL vans were also highway yellow, I've got a door off a BT maestro van and its identical to mine

• RMweb Premium

Wiking, Tomytec, Maruka and Bandai all produce RTP concrete mixers.

HTH

G

But none in 00 scale. There is the Cararama offering in 1/72 and 1/80 scale but the 1/72 scale model is rather large and the 1/80 scale model is hard to find but both models can be easily re-cabbed.

You can find a very nice Hino concrete mixer quite often on Ebay from Hong kong and as its based on a vehicle from over there it is also right hand drive. You can also find several makes and models of midi vans from over there which would fit in on modern layouts.

You can find a very nice Hino concrete mixer quite often on Ebay from Hong kong and as its based on a vehicle from over there it is also right hand drive. You can also find several makes and models of midi vans from over there which would fit in on modern layouts.

Hino trucks are now quite common on UK roads. The main difference is that Japanese ones have a low cab nearside window that UK ones don't have, but it's just a matter of over painting it.

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a HO (or 00) scale Landrkver Defender 90 with a metal back that has windows and the small windows in the roof? Ideally painted blue but I can sort that bit myself :)

Has anyone seen a HO (or 00) scale Landrkver Defender 90 with a metal back that has windows and the small windows in the roof? Ideally painted blue but I can sort that bit myself :)