New Layout Idea- Swansea Victoria Themed. Huge Change of Plan!

danstercivicman

To be fair, you can't say the Swansea and Mumbles turned up, they were there first, by a good margin.  The others 'turned up', the GW originally in the form of the South Wales.  You may as well give Powlesland and Mason the benefit of the doubt and include them as well.  Oh, yeah, and if we're counting the South Wales we need to include the Vale of Neath, which had a pub named after it!

The L&NWR lines were originally built by the Llanelly Dock and Railway Company, parts of which ended up with the GWR and part with the L&NWR.

The L&NWR lines were originally built by the Llanelly Dock and Railway Company, parts of which ended up with the GWR and part with the L&NWR.

An excellent book on all this is 'The Llanelly Railway & Docks Company' by Michael Denman - Published in 2012.

I'm sure I've not seen the photo before, but the 'Welsh Railways' Facebook header photo at https://www.facebook.com/groups/716647698429320/

shows a goods train on the raised viaduct above Swansea Victoria.
The loco is probably ex. Midland Railway 41535 which was working in the area for some time.

Edit - Ah, found a better picture at http://www.philt.org.uk/Misc/Brian/i-Hvz8P59 

If this takes you to the home page, then scroll to photo 4/15

Edited by Penlan

I'm sure I've not seen the photo before, but the 'Welsh Railways' Facebook header photo at https://www.facebook.com/groups/716647698429320/

shows a goods train on the raised viaduct above Swansea Victoria.

The loco is probably ex. Midland Railway 41535 which was working in the area for some time.

Edit - Ah, found a better picture at http://www.philt.org.uk/Misc/Brian/i-Hvz8P59 

If this takes you to the home page, then scroll to photo 4/15

If you like that photo, then there are two superb, crisp photos of 1652 with a goods train in a very similar location available from http://www.photosfromthefifties.co.uk (catalogue numbers 188C and 189A)

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The GNSR, but I stand to be corrected.

Well in July 1920, the RCH had a survey of wagons and the only sheet I 've seen is for Bristol where the following G.N.S.Rly wagons are mentioned, now I'm not saying there were any at Swansea, BUT ... :nono:

GNofS > Wagons Loaded - 4, Empty - 2, C -1.    Vans Loaded - 2.

(Some discussion on RMWeb thought 'C' may well be 'Cripple').

I can't find on RMweb the original article which included the full survey.

But for those outwith South Wales etc., N&B is Neath & Brecon,

also the E.& W.Y.U.Rly wagon is my excuse for running one on Penlan   :O 

Also note some 8% of the wagons etc., are 'Cripple', if the assumption above is correct.

Therefore, for those of you who haven't been on here for ever, please find, 'The Survey' :-

post-6979-0-27658600-1506971381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting to me as I know that part of Swansea quite well. Note from the commentary that they closed the line just as a whole lot of new housing estates were being built that could have provided passengers.

I wonder why they had a silver bus in 1964.

Very interesting to me as I know that part of Swansea quite well. Note from the commentary that they closed the line just as a whole lot of new housing estates were being built that could have provided passengers.

It was a trial , made in Aluminium apparently so they could save on Paint.

Well, this is an interesting thread, as I've just started at Swansea Uni. I've have been trying to uncover and spot its railway heritage, and then I find it all laid out here! Excellent work. I knew it had more railways than looking at the place today reveals, but didn't realise quite how many. Much of it has been changed drastically, except for the Waterfront Museum in one of the old warehouses that has laid out the course of the old lines in paving.

Even though it's a long way off, I'm looking forward to the layout, I'll have to keep more of an eye in here!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was a trial , made in Aluminium apparently so they could save on Paint.

Aluminium bodied buses, and railway coaches, were not to 'save on paint' but an attempt to produce bodywork that would not rust or corrode, providing a longer service life for the vehicle.  As aluminium is more expensive than steel, the use of it is subject to the cost/benefit analysis data available at the time; for now it looks as if scrapping and replacing steel vehicles with recycled steel replacements is more economically viable than producing them out of a corrosion proof material that is more expensive in it's raw form and introduces additional production costs before it emerges as a finished product.

Aluminium bodied buses, and railway coaches, were not to 'save on paint' but an attempt to produce bodywork that would not rust or corrode, providing a longer service life for the vehicle.  As aluminium is more expensive than steel, the use of it is subject to the cost/benefit analysis data available at the time; for now it looks as if scrapping and replacing steel vehicles with recycled steel replacements is more economically viable than producing them out of a corrosion proof material that is more expensive in it's raw form and introduces additional production costs before it emerges as a finished product.

I beg to differ it was widely publicised at the time that the aim was to save on paint whilst using a non corrosible material to build the buses. What you say may also be correct but that was not the stated reason at the time or since.

I will leave that debate to you both :)  

All I can say is my new bike (specialized Allez Elite) is made of Alu Alloy and its awesome :)   Its helping get me back on the road to recovery!  

One day I will get back to building layouts!

I beg to differ it was widely publicised at the time that the aim was to save on paint whilst using a non corrosible material to build the buses. What you say may also be correct but that was not the stated reason at the time or since.

• 6 years later...