Farish bargains

Elvinley

Here are some specific shops with bargains in at the moment (other retailers are available). Still holding out for the Merchant Navies to reach the bargain bins myself. ;)

https://railsofsheffield.com/special-offers/JJP0-JJS3-JJC0.aspx#skip_to_list

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/store/search.asp?keyword=SpecialOffersN

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000398/Graham_Farish_/BargainByManufacturer.aspx

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

Do you really want them all to reach Bargain status, there appears to be a lot of stuff Farish has been unable to shift.

If they can't sell product in what is already a small market then it might cause further contraction in the delivery of new stuff, higher prices on what comes out and smaller runs in the future.

Personally I am concerned there is a lot of unsold stock in both main scales that Rails, Kernow, Hattons and MRD are selling at the moment, Kernow is even offering one of it's O2s in a bundle.

Whether all this O gauge stuff has altered the market I don't know, but it seems there is a bit too much unsold stock at the moment and in N that is worrying.

Farish has already reigned in development of new stuff. Their announcements for the last couple of years have been extremely thin on the ground compared to 5 years ago. Dapol have publicly "retrenched" several of the models they have had in development for some time.

It is not a matter of whether I want less new models, that is already a fact of life. Much of the new stuff that interests me is looking to come from DJM. Retailers have stock to shift at bargain prices, spreading the word helps modellers looking for stuff on the cheap and helps them with their turnover.

As to my own tongue-in-cheek comment about the MNs, I had not originally planned to buy one at all as they are rather too heavy for my own layout. However Dapol have cancelled their light pacifics and I really would like an air-smoothed Bulleid Pacific so if a MN reaches the point where it is 40% off RRP (standard discount for bargain bins) I might be tempted to get one as a Rule1 purchase.

I like a bargain myself and I don't begrudge others wanting them too, but the sales at Rails have been relentless, there are plenty of DJM 71s still available from Kernow as well.

It's like people have stopped spending and these shops and the manufacturers have over supply issues at the moment.

It's like people have stopped spending and these shops and the manufacturers have over supply issues at the moment.

Given that inflation is once again outstripping wage growth, this is very likely the case. Add to that prices have risen significantly in recent years and you have a recipe for modellers implementing their own austerity programs. :(

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, happy days if you're in the market for Class 350s, 4 car set with change from £90........

Happy days indeed. Too good a price to pass up on, even though I have no immediate use for one. It will sit nicely next to the Revolution Pendolino & Class 321 though, ready for the day when the WCML layout makes it off the drawing board and into reality!

We did have several years of new models being frequently brought to the market, and I suspect what we're seeing here is the result of that over saturation. Once this stock has been sold through, I not sure we'll see similar reductions in the future given the decrease in output.

Bachmann may not have intended to slow down the release of new models, but I suspect their production constraints may have done them a favour in the long run, given the current economic climate.

Tom.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it odd that most of the Class 37/4's released, especially the Large Logo one sold out pretty much straightaway yet the RfD one remained in significant quantities.  Might pick one up for a respray seeing as the Large Logo ones are now rarer than hens teeth...

I am not surprised by this, as the retailers now need to determine what stock to have in place for Christmas 2017 and into 2018

This also suggests some suppliers have supplied payment dates for the next releases

I find it odd that most of the Class 37/4's released, especially the Large Logo one sold out pretty much straightaway yet the RfD one remained in significant quantities.  Might pick one up for a respray seeing as the Large Logo ones are now rarer than hens teeth...

The earlier Class 47 had a similar sales pattern, the InterCity livery sold out but the Large Logo Blue was still available

The RfD Class 37/4 has a limited customer base as it is a shorter time period, whereas the Large Logo Blue is more well known

It will be interesting to see the sales pattern for the next batch of Class 47 with a RfD and InterCity Mainline released pair

It makes me wonder how the RFD 37/0 is going to sell. I am planning to buy one anyway, as I have plans for a custom job for it.

I picked up the Trainload Metals 37/5 and BR Blue 47/7 from Rails as the prices were too hard to resist.

It makes me wonder how the RFD 37/0 is going to sell. I am planning to buy one anyway, as I have plans for a custom job for it.

This falls into the same category as the previous 37/0 in Coal sub-sector, seen almost all over UK

However, the RfD Class 37/0 had an even wider UK reach, so I expect it to be slightly more popular

Unlike the previous 37/4 which was rarely seen south of Mossend (or generally outside of Scotland)

It may not be the "doom and gloom" some are saying, rather a perpetuation of something that has happened for many years with batch production.

I think what we are actually seeing, based on a quick look on Rails' website is more a sell off of some of the slower selling livery variants including oddball liveries like the 31 in BR green with full yellow ends and the double arrow logo and the BR black Duchess. Both of these remained in stock long after the more common liveries sold out. The Desiros (lovely models though they are) have seemingly never been that popular and been available at under £100 on and off for some time. Of the A2s, you will struggle to find a "Blue Peter" but the other three seem to have suffered the similar problem as the Desiros.

In many respects the same can be said of the wagons and coaches, however in the case of things like the 16T minerals I think price rises may have had an impact on sales as they have hit and gone beyond what some may see as an acceptable price ceiling.

Roy

This is normal - summer is a slow selling time for models as folk take up their outdoor interests. Sales always happen at this time of year - I think drawing too many conclusions on the state of the market because of one (normal) sale is a bit too much micro-analysis.

Nice to get a 37 for £69 though!

Cheers,
Alan

I dunno why there is so much doom and gloom over a set of sales going on. Farish stuff at multiple box shifters hasn't been on sale for quiet some time even x-mas didn't have much on sale, heck even Rails of Sheffields May Madness sale  featured barely any Farish stuff and was only for one day, while there was hoards of 00 stuff trying to be shifted, I would question the health of the 00 market than the N guage when so many items were trying to be shifted.

Anyway, since Rails was nice enough to put the 16ton steel  mineral wagons on sale I grabbed 2x of their quad packs at just shy of 35 quid per 4 that isn't half bad price point per wagon, also added on a BR grey brakevan to complete the mini consist and have just grabbed the 37514 Railfreight Metal Sector class 37 as its Thornaby depot loco which is local to me.

I used to see 37514 quite regularly to from the bottom of the road where I used to live when I was a youngen, you hear the growl 15mins away and then watch as they trundle by with either merry go round hoppers or scrap metal train, funny enough there was a scrap metal facility which had a rail link right in viewing distance from the tall slide at the playground at the end of the road so I'll see a class 08 busying itself about.

Funny enough the 37 I bought has nothing to do with the era I'm modelling in...but hey its a local one and at £67.50 its a steal to be honest, its been out since 2014 according to release dates so by this point not surprising the costs dropped to this point in sales.

If you didn't model thornaby or bought on impulse like myself, wouldn't be much point to buying 37514 when it was released tbh, plus its metal sector instead of coal sector so its even less popular on the class 37 totem if others are to be believed.

Also in regards to the desiros, no wonder no one wanted them, there ugly fantastic plastic machines and most people's experience of them will be rushhour travel, hardly inspiring to keep on your layout :no: :sungum:

Edited by Crumplezone

Also in regards to the desiros, no wonder no one wanted them, there ugly fantastic plastic machines and most people's experience of them will be rushhour travel, hardly inspiring to keep on your layout :no: :sungum:

I suspect the main problem was lack of stock to run alongside them.

Fortunately RevolutioN have stepped into the breach with their forthcoming Pendolino and 321 meaning that the modern WCML is now a realistic possibility.

• RMweb Gold

I dunno why there is so much doom and gloom over a set of sales going on. Farish stuff at multiple box shifters hasn't been on sale for quiet some time even x-mas didn't have much on sale, heck even Rails of Sheffields May Madness sale  featured barely any Farish stuff and was only for one day, while there was hoards of 00 stuff trying to be shifted, I would question the health of the 00 market than the N guage when so many items were trying to be shifted.

Anyway, since Rails was nice enough to put the 16ton steel  mineral wagons on sale I grabbed 2x of their quad packs at just shy of 35 quid per 4 that isn't half bad price point per wagon, also added on a BR grey brakevan to complete the mini consist and have just grabbed the 37514 Railfreight Metal Sector class 37 as its Thornaby depot loco which is local to me.

I used to see 37514 quite regularly to from the bottom of the road where I used to live when I was a youngen, you hear the growl 15mins away and then watch as they trundle by with either merry go round hoppers or scrap metal train, funny enough there was a scrap metal facility which had a rail link right in viewing distance from the tall slide at the playground at the end of the road so I'll see a class 08 busying itself about.

Funny enough the 37 I bought has nothing to do with the era I'm modelling in...but hey its a local one and at £67.50 its a steal to be honest, its been out since 2014 according to release dates so by this point not surprising the costs dropped to this point in sales.

If you didn't model thornaby or bought on impulse like myself, wouldn't be much point to buying 37514 when it was released tbh, plus its metal sector instead of coal sector so its even less popular on the class 37 totem if others are to be believed.

Are the different 16t 4 packs on the site now? They are showing as £39.50 per pack rather than sub £35... it is entirely possible I am missing something....

Are the different 16t 4 packs on the site now? They are showing as £39.50 per pack rather than sub £35... it is entirely possible I am missing something....

The higher price ones are the weathered ones, they had the non-weathered 16ton ones at 34.50, ther on order now or been removed from the sales list (probably due to no more stock)

Looking at the products on serious discount I notice BOTH of the single-chimney BR green A2s.

When the identities of the A2 were first announced I did point out to four different people at Bachmann that the single-chimney A2s were largely confined to Scotland (restricting their range) and that it would make a lot more sense to make only one single-chimney loco and substitute either 60533 HAPPY KNIGHT which was allocated to the Southern end of the ECML or 60526 SUGAR PALM, which as York standing pilot reached both ends of the ECML regularly as well as having  sightings at Banbury, Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool.  The reaction - "We know what we're doing"- apparently not, it seems.

Les
(who may yet add a 4th A2 to his roster, all of which currently have double chimneys)

I have actually added the fourth A2 I threatened, but went for a 60527 Sun Chariot from Rails, largely as I couldn't be bothered to change yet another tender crest.

Hopefully it will be as reliable as the other three, and stronger than two of them (rice pudding comes to mind.....)

Les

Just to explain that 60526 can manage eight coaches on the straight and level, 60538 can manage six and 60539 five.  Given that the A2 was amongst the most powerful of BR's steam fleet (being rostered for jobs 9Fs couldn't cope with) I'd say none of them is really good enough in that respect.  I'm seriously thinking of using spare A1 traction-tyred wheels to give them a little more grunt.