Portsmouth Model Railway Exhibition - Saturday 18th November 2017

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Saturday November 18th

Admiral Lord Nelson School, Dundas Lane, Portsmouth PO3 5XT

Final layout lineup for the SHMRC’s annual exhibition. We think the list of layouts for this years for this year’s show is exceptional so please come to the friendly show with great catering.

Layouts:

Clutton                                   4mm P4           This is one of its last outings and a very rare one day show appearance

Benfieldside                          4mm EM         The first outing for a seminal layout under new ownership, it is looking stunning.

Great Bardfield                       4mm P4

Chewton Mendip                    4mm EM

Ynysybwl                                4mm EM

Rowington for Shrewley         4mm OO

Heybridge Wharf                    3mm

Brixham                                  4mm EM

Lee on the Solent                   4mm P4

Staindrop                                7mm 0

Wood's Wharf                         7mm 0

Thomas                                  4mm OO         For the kids

Demonstrators:

Gordon Gravett                 

Roy Hickman

Roger Sawyer

2 mm Road Show

S4 Society Stand

EMGS Society Stand                     

Traders:

Ron Lines

Model Railway Developments

AAR models.

Falcon Masterpiece Models

C & L

Coastal DCC

Squires Tools 

London Road

Modelu

Rumney Models

Penbits

Booklaw Publications

Edited by kipford
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

John

It was a stunning layout and still is. The guys who are now custodians have sympathetically updated it to modern standards. I understand it will be running at our show with some of the original stock, courtesy of John James. If you can, come along and see it.

John

It was a stunning layout and still is. The guys who are now custodians have sympathetically updated it to modern standards. I understand it will be running at our show with some of the original stock, courtesy of John James. If you can, come along and see it.

I am operating on Ynysybwl so I will definitely see it. It made a real impression on me when I saw it before so I am really looking forward to seeing it again.

Looking forward to coming down. Clutton has not done a one day show exhibition before, and the timings are tight for setting up. However, it's a very good show and I think worth putting the effort in. I was very pleased to accept an invitation.

As said, Clutton is retiring from the circuit next year, this will be one of the last chances to see it. I know there are many detractors, who just don't 'get' the layout, but for those who do ...

• RMweb Gold

Dave please be more specific about the catering. If it concerns them shutting up at 1330, we agree it is not ideal, but they are not prepared to open any longer so we are stuffed. Apart from that we think the quality of the food available is very good.

The layouts at the show today were excellent, I particularly enjoyed watching Chewton Mendip, Haybridge Wharf & Ynysybwl.  Should also be mentioned that the demonstrators, The Gravetts, Roy Hickman & Roger Sawyer were encouraging youngsters, by getting them to partake in the demonstrations.

Colin

Dave please be more specific about the catering. If it concerns them shutting up at 1330, we agree it is not ideal, but they are not prepared to open any longer so we are stuffed. Apart from that we think the quality of the food available is very good.

My observation is primarily concerning the early closing and previous experience shows that the food is ok before the 1330 closure. I do think however that the tea bar could be improved .

I forgot my own lunch today but didn’t fuss about it as I thought I’d be able to get nosh . I found I was reduced to sausage rolls and a cup of tea. I think this could be improved.

Never mind, a very good show and I will be there next year, but with my own lunch!

Personally, I enjoyed a tuna baguette with a cup of coffee - I thought the choice of food was pretty good; happy to eat before the 13:30 deadline. I, and my brother-in-law, thought that the layouts were excellent - probably the best set of layouts we had seen this year.  I liked the set of pre-grouping layouts, but then I am biassed.  We liked the fact that there were more layouts than traders, though we bought more than we thought we might.  I heard a couple of people with young childrsen saying how much the kids had got from hands-on experiences at the show - really encouraging that the club were keen to get the young ones involved.

Mick

Thanks from the Ynysybwl "crew" a good weekend. Our first ever one day show which was very good, cracking layouts and good company. The only complaint was that we were over fed !!! Even our two well established "troffers" were fed to over flowing, its a good job the food stopped at 13.30 !!!!!!  If Portsmouth was not so far from the depths of deepest darkest South Wales we would attend ever year. 

Thanks again

Just to support what Graham says in the above, we had a great time. Excellent show, all the layouts were first class and the catering was likewise excellent - I am one of the troffers to whom he aludes. Thanks to Maggie Gravett for sharing her secrets about static grass. Many thanks. 

Edited by John_Miles

Good day out for Clutton and the crew. Again, our first (and only) one day show, but I was surprised to find I was less tired than a two day show, plus there's Sunday to recover.

Didn't get much chance to look around, but did see there was a good selection of very good layouts.

Only three more shows to the end, Clutton's retirement is August next year.

"Are you going to write a review?" asked Bungus the Fogeyman, who was helping out on the Book Law stand.  I gave a non-committal response. 

As readers  of the next issue of Scalefour News will discover in due course, Portsmouth is one of my favourite shows and by any measure one of the best one-day events on offer.  The organisers have a knack of booking quality layouts with a distinct emphasis on the finescale end of the spectrum.  Among those with which I am familiar were Clutton, Ynysybwl, Great Bardfield and Lee-on-the-Solent, the latter shown by the host club.  I rather took to Brixham, an EM essay by Ted Farmer which after allowing for a modest degree of compression is as faithful a depiction of the prototype as one could seek.  It was also good to welcome the return of Benfieldside [P4], created by John Wright and now refurbished.

I thought the spread of trade good, with no undue emphasis on any particular aspect, and was able to make a good dent in my shopping list.  The second-hand sales stall attracted as hungry a swarm of locusts as may be found at ExpoEM or Scaleforum.  Fortunately they left some for me!  As Jol Wilkinson has remarked in another thread, Roger Sawyer managed to interest several youngsters in the not terribly black art of soldering and it is to be hoped that the enthusiasm and ability uncovered on his demo stand will rub off one day on older hobbyists.

The catering facilities have good and less good points.  Elsewhere I have lamented, probably ad nauseam, the disappearance of Little Chef and its charismatic Olympic breakfast.  A more than acceptable substitute is available to early arrivals at the Admiral Lord Nelson School.  A nearly full English, for £4.50 if one is a civilian but free to exhibitionists, is excellent value.  The catering staff remained both cheerful and on top of the job.  Hot food is sold at lunchtime as are tasty baguettes and represent a distinct improvement on the school fodder of my youth!  Sadly the facility closes at 1.30 pm but this is clearly stated in the show guide.  Drinks and confectionery are also available in another part of the school close to the hall.

In short, a good day out.

Chris