Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

SDJR7F88

Hi all.

Thought it was about time I started a new venture, this time into the world of 009 and Narrow Gauge Railways. I've also have an interest in military vehicles, and thought this new World War 1 Themed Trench Railway would be a great combination of both, especially with the number of WW1 themed locomotives and rolling stock coming to the current market.

Originally I had no set time period or location for the railway, but after doing some research on the Great War, and the Narrow Gauge Railway Network that service the front lines, I was captivated.

The layout will be set during the Battle of Amiens, one the final major battles during the War. The battle heavily saw the use of armor and military vehicles, including the first official tank on tank battle. During this time the Allies re-captured many of there Trenches, Vehicles and parts of the their Narrow Gauge network that had been captured in a German offensive a few months earlier.

The layout itself will be 4ft by 2ft and depict an Allied Field HQ (not sure of the correct term to call it), where Tanks and Military Vehicles are serviced and prepared for the next offensive, along with troops and Artillery Battery. The site will naturally be served by a Trench Railway, which will feature a mixture of Allied Rolling Stock, as well as some captured German Stock too.

Below are some plans for the layout, along with boards and a number items purchased, ready for the build, including the layout's first locomotive, the Minitrains Trench Baldwin 2-6-2T (I know it's really H0e Scale, but it hopefully it won't look to out of place).

Anyways, I hope to bring you lots more progress, pictures and videos on the build in the not too distant future. :good:

Let me know what you all think!

post-20663-0-91577600-1497644281_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-56275400-1497644334_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-87400400-1497644343_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-31300500-1497644352_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-52784900-1497644360_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I always had the intention of a similar project in 7mm NG , got as far as buying a few kits locomotives and rolling stock and a few books on the subject but never carried the project forward.

I am tempted again in 4mm so will be watching how your project moves forward with interest.

Eltel

Looking forward to seeing this, it is an idea I have thought about in the past, interested to see how it works.

I always had the intention of a similar project in 7mm NG , got as far as buying a few kits locomotives and rolling stock and a few books on the subject but never carried the project forward.

I am tempted again in 4mm so will be watching how your project moves forward with interest.

Eltel

Looking forward to this one too, nice idea! Should keep you busy for a while as that tank kit isn't a quick build!

This sounds an interesting one. As agreat fan of military layouts, I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Al.

Thank ever so much guys! Glad you like the plans. Certainly is going to be a very interesting build. Oh yes, have just found that out with the tank ;)

Looks good I have an idea to do something along the same lines, probably based around the rail halt at the field hospital at Dernancourt where my fathers uncle died of wounds in October 1916. Lots of good WW1 figures, vehicles, guns and accessories here http://www.wdmodels.com/ (no connection just a satisfied customer).

Edited by wamwig

Looks good I have an idea to do something along the same lines, probably based around the rail halt at the field hospital at Dernancourt where my fathers uncle died of wounds in October 1916. Lots of good WW1 figures, vehicles, guns and accessories here http://www.wdmodels.com/ (no connection just a satisfied customer).

Thanks for the info! Plenty of items I've been looking for on there! Especially the Transfers. Many thanks indeed!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, think I'm nearly just about ready to launch the first video update on this new and exciting project!  :locomotive:

If all goes to plan I hope get the video up tomorrow evening. 

I must apologies in advance for my poor French, as I believe I pronounce Amiens wrong a number of times first time around, learning the langue was never my strong point :jester: 

Anyways, I hope it will be the first of many video, showing the build of the layout and some of Technics I use.  

Edited by SDJR7F88

The first installment of a new and exciting project, creating a WW1 Narrow Gauge Trench Railway in 009 Scale.
Trench Railways played a vital roll during the First World War, delivering men, food and equipment to the front line, as well as returning the wounded. Tracks could often be laid in minutes, across hostile and uneven terrain, something which couldn't be done with a standard gauge railway. With this new 009 Exhibition Layout, I hope to capture a sense of the scale of this vast network and the vital roll it played during The Great War.
In this update, we take a look at the plans for the layout, including track plan and the history behind the railway, as well as a look at a number of items, I've purchased ready for the build.
I hope to bring you lots more updates on the progress of the layout over the coming months, along with a number of tutorials and reviews, as well as improving my French (as I believe I pronounce Amiens wrong first time around).
Let me know what you think...
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYxvtnMNDU

• Like 3

Thanks ever so much for all the positive feedback on the first Update on the layout. Great to see so many people interested and talking about it.  :)

Managed to get around to setting out and testing the track plan, slightly different to that on the plan, but very pleased with the new set-up. It features longer passing loops and an extra siding. 

Also managed to set out the farm yard building and walls, plus artillery gun. Really give a feel on what the layout will look like when complete! 

Let me know what you think.

post-20663-0-61589300-1499452492_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Guest Midland Mole

What a great idea, and a really good start you have made. Very much looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

I am probably going to do something similar when the Bachmann stuff comes out, just a small layout based near the front.

Alex

What a great idea, and a really good start you have made. Very much looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

I am probably going to do something similar when the Bachmann stuff comes out, just a small layout based near the front.

Alex

Thanks ever so much indeed Alex! Glad you like it so far! Plenty more updates to come. Getting started on that tank soon too. ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Like the plan, but my only comment would be it's all a little square and lines up with the front of the baseboard. Go and have a look on http://ngrm-online.com and I'm sure you will find some nice examples. 

Why do I say this? I made the same mistake and always regretted it. Narrow Gauge lines follow the contours of the land much more than standard gauge.

Like the plan, but my only comment would be it's all a little square and lines up with the front of the baseboard. Go and have a look on http://ngrm-online.com and I'm sure you will find some nice examples. 

Why do I say this? I made the same mistake and always regretted it. Narrow Gauge lines follow the contours of the land much more than standard gauge.

Thanks for the heads up! Will have a little see with what I can do with it 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Callum, I'm quite looking forward to seeing you get stuck into this project. Watching your video you mention mk V tanks, a war games company manufactures a whole range of WW1 20mm stuff including mk.V tanks. They are available here if you're interested http://earlywarminiatures.com/product-category/ww1-1914-1918/

May i ask where you purchased the Minitrains set from?

Kind regards

Jaymes

Just a few shots of my WW1 layout, 2 years into it.    Still a long way to go.   00 and 009 running on the same layout.

Lovely work indeed! Love the fog effect! See there's a Whippet tank there too, just picked up a kit to build of one of them  ;)

Hi Callum, I'm quite looking forward to seeing you get stuck into this project. Watching your video you mention mk V tanks, a war games company manufactures a whole range of WW1 20mm stuff including mk.V tanks. They are available here if you're interested http://earlywarminiatures.com/product-category/ww1-1914-1918/

May i ask where you purchased the Minitrains set from?

Kind regards

Jaymes

Thanks for the info James, will check them out. Just got hold of a Whippet and Mk IV too. I got the loco and wagons direct from Parkside Dundas, quite reasonable prices on there 

The second installment on the build of the WW1 Narrow Gauge Trench Railway Exhibition Layout in 009 Scale.
In this update, we take a look take a look at the new track plan for the layout, along with planning the location for the buildings and scenery, as well as a first test run, with the Minitrains Baldwin 2-6-2T. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rozfj2gwDbc

• 2 weeks later...