Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

SDJR7F88

A short running session featuring the Minitrains Baldwin 2-6-2T Trench Locomotive. 
This lovely little model features an operational headlamp, as well as a powerful motor with brass flywheel. 
Here's we see the Baldwin in action on my 009 WW1 Trench Railway, which is currently under construction, hauling a short rake of accompanying WW1 rolling stock. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WummQLVh93U

• Like 2

That's coming along well.

The MkV Male Tank looks a nice model...

I don't think that's a MkV. The MkV has a second cab (for the commander), vents in the sides, aft the Sponsons, for the radiator air intakes, and has rails on the top for the unditching beam. I'd say that looks more like a Mk1 Male tank.

I don't think that's a MkV. The MkV has a second cab (for the commander), vents in the sides, aft the Sponsons, for the radiator air intakes, and has rails on the top for the unditching beam. I'd say that looks more like a Mk1 Male tank.

Yep it's indeed a Mk1, which will soon be joined by a MkIV 

The third installment on the build of the WW1 Narrow Gauge Trench Railway Exhibition Layout in 009 Scale.
In this update, we take a look take a look at the new constructed bases boards and back scene, along with progress on the Airfix MK1 Tank, plus a look at a number of new additions for the layout, including a new locomotive.
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOarZwkUqxc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the Minitrains Brigadelok 0-8-0T Trench Locomotive. This lovely little model features an directional headlamps, as well as a powerful motor with brass flywheel. Here's we see the Brigadelok in action on my 009 WW1 Trench Railway, which is currently under construction, hauling a short rake of accompanying WW1 rolling stock.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr_eyMBn-VE

• Like 1

With the layout layout now back up in the loft, with the track and backscene in place, it's now finally time to start work on the landscaping! 

I started off by shaping the hill side which the Artillery Gun and and Trench are set into. For this I'm using polystyrene instillation sheets. It's light, easy to shape, and should added to the mud effect on top when I get around to adding it. 

Here's a few pictures of the work so far. Still not quite happy with the shape and height of the trench entrance, but will see.

Let me know what you think! 

post-20663-0-77758400-1504768884_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-77804200-1504768898_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-76739100-1504768912_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-64844500-1504768921_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-06926700-1504768948_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-37266200-1504768961_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-77631400-1504768979_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just finished painting the Airfix resin Workshop. This was my first attempt at painting brick/stone work, must say I'm very pleased with the results! Gone for a stone work finish with clay tile roof. Will be adding the little details such as rubble and other things once the buildings finally in place.  :paint: Let me know what you think!

post-20663-0-07824400-1504895124_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-83452100-1504895133_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 8

Just finished painting the Airfix resin Workshop. This was my first attempt at painting brick/stone work, must say I'm very pleased with the results! Gone for a stone work finish with clay tile roof. Will be adding the little details such as rubble and other things once the buildings finally in place.  :paint: Let me know what you think!

that looks really good, how did you do the stone work?

that looks really good, how did you do the stone work?

Thanks Luke. Glad you like it! I was give some tips by a friend on how to paint it, as I've never painted brick/stone work before.

I used Humbrol enamel paints, starting off with brick red matt 76 as the base colour, just bush painted all over. I then used a dry brushing technique on the raised stonework with mid grey 64, light grey matt 147 and stone 121, working dark to light. This was my first attempt at the technique and it was surprisingly easy! Will certainly be doing it again  :paint: 

Hope it's of help! 

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

Bit more work done today. Cut the Template for the road/dirt track is in place, using card from an old cereal box. This will later be painted with Green Scenes Texture paint and weathered to match the surrounding landscape. As you can see there's a bit of a climb towards the backscene, as the road follows the raised area. I also cut out the parts for the crossing though still yet undecided on what to do in-between the rails, will take a look at some Photos get some ideas. 

Oh yes! I've also nearly finished of the MKIV Tank (with abit of swearing and cussing).   :jester: Still a bit more to do yet though.

post-20663-0-69476200-1504972410_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-27524000-1504972417_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-83891700-1504972424_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-57287300-1504972446_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-42199900-1504972452_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-10455700-1504972460_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-64162100-1504972466_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 7

Guest Midland Mole

Wow, it is really coming together nicely! There are lots of good photos of the light railways in WW1 so I'm sure you will find something suitable for between the rails soon. :)

Talking about tank construction and swearing, a couple of years ago I was building a tank for wargaming purposes and it was going badly....very badly. Suffice to say the poor thing ended up being hurled against my wall and I shouted so loudly my neighbour came round to ask if I was ok! :D

Alex

Wow, it is really coming together nicely! There are lots of good photos of the light railways in WW1 so I'm sure you will find something suitable for between the rails soon. :)

Talking about tank construction and swearing, a couple of years ago I was building a tank for wargaming purposes and it was going badly....very badly. Suffice to say the poor thing ended up being hurled against my wall and I shouted so loudly my neighbour came round to ask if I was ok! :D

Alex

Thanks Alex! Just just picked up a great book called "Trains to Trenches", lots of super info about the role all railways played during the war, with some great pictures too. 

Must say, I was very close to that when adding the tracks  :jester:

From what I can recall, there's a drawing of the "official" way of building a crossing in the WDLR Album

I think it has a rail added either side of each running rail (like a check rail on the inside and outside) with planks in the gap

On our 7mm layout we've put in a planked crossing (installed before the book was published) without check rails, as there's no guarantee that they built exactly to the plans, as said above its more than likely that whatever was to hand was used

From what I can recall, there's a drawing of the "official" way of building a crossing in the WDLR Album

I think it has a rail added either side of each running rail (like a check rail on the inside and outside) with planks in the gap

On our 7mm layout we've put in a planked crossing (installed before the book was published) without check rails, as there's no guarantee that they built exactly to the plans, as said above its more than likely that whatever was to hand was used

Ah, thanks for the info! Will have a little look

• 2 weeks later...

The forth installment on the build of the WW1 Narrow Gauge Trench Railway Exhibition Layout in 009 Scale, and there's certainly been plenty of progress. In this update, we take a look at the start of the landscaping, which includes the ballasting, creation of the Trench and Artillery Battery, plus the start of the road and crossing. Work has also progress on the MKIV Tank, along with the painting of the Farm Workshop Building, plus more!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ZfnKda9kk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...