Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

SDJR7F88

It was good to see this layout yesterday, very nice.

Thanks ever so much Snooper! Glad you like the layout!

9th - 10th June 2018 saw the Shepton & District Model Society host their Annual Mendip Model Railway Exhibition, at Doulting Village Hall. This years line-up featured no less than 10 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, plus good selection of Demo's and Trade Stands. The Society's Club Room was also open, with a number of their layouts on display.

Layouts at the event included;

Holcombe - 0 Gauge

Tormouth Quay - 4mm Scale

Abbot's Morton - 4mm Scale

Barrkirk - 00 Gauge

Amiens 1918 - Tracks & Trenches - 009 Scale (My Layout)

Lulworth Castle - 4mm Scale

Feltham Road MPD - 4mm Scale

Tipham - 4mm Scale

Yeobridge - N Gauge

Enigma Quay - 09 Scale

Shunting Puzzle - 00 Gauge

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMwJRSDH8U

• Like 1

9th - 10th June 2018 saw the 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway on display at the Shepton & District Model Railway Club's Annual Mendip Model Railway Exhibition, at Doulting Village Hall. The show marked the layout's 5th outing, proving very popular with visitors. Not only that, the layout received it first in show award! Receiving the Award for "Best Layout Feature in Show"! As you can imagine I've over the moon and can't thank the Team there enough!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2xLHEPjx8c

• Like 1

A short Slide Show, taking a look at some of my recent weathering projects. In this addition, we take a look at my rake of Minitrains Tipper Wagons, which has received a good coat of weathering, brush using a mixture of Acrylic Washes. Each wagon has also received a mud load

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rrO1W3rLWQ

post-20663-0-16989700-1529345199_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short Slide Show, taking a look at some of my recent weathering projects. In this addition, we take a look at the Minitrains Baldwin 2-6-2T, which has been brush weathered using a mixture of Acrylic Washes. More videos of the progress on the weathering of my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway Rolling Stock coming soon. Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH6ZV6j2nfc

• Like 1

Just fitted Amiens 1918 - Tracks & Trenches with a new set of folding trestle legs. Unlike the wooden ones, these trestle fold-up and should (fingers crossed) fit alongside the layout in one piece is my small car. They also have more height setting than the previous ones too. The layout was attached, by bolting the wooden attachments form the old legs to the top. The great thing is, by undoing 4 bolts, I can use them back on the wooden legs if need be.

post-20663-0-61737000-1532017213_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-56457200-1532017219_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-51625000-1532017223_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-94555600-1532017226_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The Twelfth update on the build of the WW1 Narrow Gauge Trench Railway in 009 Scale. With the recent hot weather, progress on the layout and other modelling projects have been a bit slow, however I've managed to get around to fitting two new sets of adjustable legs to the layout, which should make setting-up and packing-away much quicker at exhibitions. In this update, we take a closer look at these two new additions, as well as discussing a number of major changes I have planned for the layout.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3nqu_LmqQ

• Like 2

A look at the all new Bachmann Narrow Gauge - 009 Scale - Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0T, fitted with Digitrains Digital Sound. Available for just shy of £115 from Digitrains Ltd, the new ZSBA Baldwin Premium Sound and Zimo MX659N18 sound decoder is the perfect partner for the Bachmann Baldwin Class 10-12-D, bring this superb model to life. Fitting the decoder takes a matter of minutes, thanks to the clever assembly and pre-build in speaker. Highlights features include Wagons Clatter when accelerating and decelerating with a loaded train, and Speed Lock, which allows to you intensity off the chuffs, while keeping the loco locked at the same speed. In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below), with the model hauling and shunting a mixed supply and troop train on my WW1 Trench Railway.

Sound Functions List;

F0 Lights F&R

F1 Sound on, heavy mode

F2 Brake key

F3 Whistle

F4 Whistle

F5 Light engine mode

F6 Coal shovelling

F7 Injector

F8 Safety Valve

F9 Speed dependent wheel noise

F10 Speed lock

F11 Handbrake

F12 Water filling

F13 Wagons clattering

F14 Whistle

F15 Cylinder drains

F16 Whistle

F17 Shunting mode CV 3 & 4 values = 0

F18 Guard's whistle

F19 Fade sounds

F20 Coupling sound

F21 Air pump start and fast

F22 Air pump slow

F23 Safety valve

F27 Volume down

F28 Volume up

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFd3IMZozRg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Preparations being made to the layout over the coming week, ready for RailWells next weekend (11th - 12th August). This will be the layout first public outing with Digital Sound (all being well). 

Hope to see you there!

Full details below;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136088-railwells-2018/

http://railwells.com/railway-show/railwells-show-2018/

post-20663-0-22802600-1533308674_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Wednesday 8th August 2018, marked the 100th Anniversary of the start of the Battle of Amiens, 1918.

The Battle of Amiens marked one of the final major battles of the WW1, with the opening phase the Allied Offensive, which began on the 8th August 1918. The Battle, later known as the Hundred Days Offensive, ultimately led to the end of WW1. With over 75,000 Troops, 2000 Aircraft and 500 Tanks, the Allies advanced over 8 miles on the first day alone, re-capturing German held fortifications and equipment.

The Layout, Set during the Battle, this scene depicts a re-captured Artillery Battery, now an Allied field headquarters and supply depot, where Troops and Tanks are prepared for the next offensive, served by a Narrow Gauge Field Railway. Supply trains hauled by a mixture of British, US and French Locomotives, as well as captured German Rolling Stock, stream through the Battery with tons of equipment and material, that will ultimately lead to victory on the Western Front. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEvazAg9ybA

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Callum,

I was also at Wells yesterday afternoon, and I can honestly say that your layout was the highlight for me.

What can I say? It's a sympathetic and superbly-crafted study of a time in history that changed the world: inspiring, yet very poignant. The wagons loaded with munitions and, particularly, barbed-wire, the troop train conjured images of soldiers heading to the front, cheerful and singing in spite of what they knew they would face when they got there, the stack of spent shell cases, the mud, are all stark reminders in model form of a terrible conflict.

I'm afraid my photographs really don't do it justice (I'm sure others will post far better ones), but here are a couple of them:

IMG_20180811_151000928.jpg

IMG_20180811_150552599.jpg

With best regards,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Callum,

I was also at Wells yesterday afternoon, and I can honestly say that your layout was the highlight for me.

What can I say? It's a sympathetic and superbly-crafted study of a time in history that changed the world: inspiring, yet very poignant. The wagons loaded with munitions and, particularly, barbed-wire, the troop train conjured images of soldiers heading to the front, cheerful and singing in spite of what they knew they would face when they got there, the stack of spent shell cases, the mud, are all stark reminders in model form of a terrible conflict.

I'm afraid my photographs really don't do it justice (I'm sure others will post far better ones), but here are a couple of them:

IMG_20180811_151000928.jpg

IMG_20180811_150552599.jpg

With best regards,

Mark

Thanks ever so much Mark!

Glad you enjoyed the layout! Has certainly been amazing to hear the amazing comments about it. :) Got to be one of it's best outings to date! 

I saw the layout yesterday at Railwells, and yes, I agree, it's a very good, well presented model :good:

Thanks ever so much Ian! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also met Callum and some of his team at Wells yesterday and was very much impressed by the quality of the modelling on this layout. I wanted to come back and chat and watch more, but unfortunately time was against me, but there's always 'next time!'

• Like 1

I also met Callum and some of his team at Wells yesterday and was very much impressed by the quality of the modelling on this layout. I wanted to come back and chat and watch more, but unfortunately time was against me, but there's always 'next time!'

Thanks ever so much Tim! Was great to finally get to meet you. Glad you liked the layout. I'm sure there will be another time, forgot how many more shows I've got to do before 2018's out :P 

• Like 1

11th & 12th August 2018 saw the Wells Model Railway Fraternity host their annual Railwells Model Railway Exhibition. This years line-up featured no less than 16 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway, plus the stunning Clutton in P4 Finescale, on it's last public outing before retirement. Also on hand was an excellent selection of Demo's and Trade Stands.

Layouts at the event included;

Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway - 2mm Finescale

Lower Rose Goods - P4 Finescale

Pwllheli - P4 Finescale

Wantage - 009 Scale

The Worlds End - 00 / 4mm Scale

Bridge Sidings - 3/4mm to 1 Foot

Mount Woodville - P4 Finescale

Ballyconnell Road - 3mm Finescale

Plaxtol Road - 0 / 7mm Scale

Ashburton - N / 2mm Finescale

Amiens 1918 - 009 Scale (My WW1 Trench Railway)

Navigation Road - EM Scale

Callaton - 2mm Finescale

Bordesley North - 2mm Finescale

MSW - 2mm Finescale

Clutton - P4 Finescale (Final Public Show)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7DnTRaZA6M

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the layout ready for a couple more outings, over the next couple of weeks.

First up;

Sedgemoor Rail, King Alfred School, Highbridge, TA9 3EE, this coming weekend (5th-26th August) 

Second;

Swindon Festival of Steam, STEAM Museum Swindon, Saturday 8 and Sunday 9 September, 10am to 5pm

(I still have yet to have my information pack on the event, nor is the layout listed on the STEAM Website for for the event, but I have received a ton of flyers for the show, so guess I'm suppose to be there :P

This should be the layouts biggest outing to date, so certainly will be interesting one. Has anyone displayed at this event before?, as when I was discussing expenses, it sound like there was none? Just want to check if I get my fuel expenses covered from driving back and forth from Bristol for two days :P 

• Like 1

Back from another busy weekend with Amiens, at Sedgemoor Rail 2018. Once again was great to hear all the lovely comments about the layout. Not only that but the layout Won its first 'Best in Show'!!!

As you can imagine I'm over the moon!

Here's a few pictures taken during the event, with a full video of the show to follow soon :)

post-20663-0-26669300-1535456102_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-47594200-1535456520_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-55694400-1535456578_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-22565300-1535456593_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-58718700-1535456615_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-98335800-1535456632_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 11