Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot); The Affected Models List

To be pedantic, Hornby didn't use any contaminated materials. They only commissioned the model from their contractor in China. It was the contractor (factory) in China that used contaminated materials. Or probably, their sub-contractor. And any QC checks on deliveries wouldn't show up the problem just time, much later.

Stewart

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

The list in post 1 is not opening for me.  Is there a problem or am I doing something wrong?

Terry

I just tried it and it worked ok - I use chrome, and it downloads the file then lets you open it, rather than it just opens.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Do not know if this engine has been mentioned. But I have a Hornby 9F whose chassis has started to disintergrate. It is the last of the tender drive engines with the finer valve gear.

There's a list in the first post which you can check - if it's not on there please post specific details here (in format requested in post #1)

• Informative/Useful 1

Just came across this post, is it worth including wagons as well?

A lot of Kleinmodellbahn Bogie Open wagons also suffer from this problem and it causes the floors to bow.

I also had a container flat from them that was only fit for the bin as it fell into so many bits.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Just came across this post, is it worth including wagons as well?

A lot of Kleinmodellbahn Bogie Open wagons also suffer from this problem and it causes the floors to bow.

I also had a container flat from them that was only fit for the bin as it fell into so many bits.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Please do, but please post only the details in the form requested in post #1 :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic
On 21/07/2020 at 19:38, Dad-1 said:

On the 9F's I didn't even try removing the opposite end motor clamp. I didn't

see the point as both locomotives were and still are beyond further use. I should

write to Hornby with a moan, the reason is they are still making and selling 9F's

therefore in theory replacement parts could be available. However it'll probably

be a waste of time as they pass all spares responsibility on to Peters Spares.

Here are the two 9F clamps :- Evening Star's first

IMG_3648.JPG.b3ba9976eb76cc7d86e0e39803857876.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG.efea8888466351c5e566dc4698616540.JPG

I didn't photograph the tender problem because I knew I could make a

plasticard insert which initially seems like it'll be fine. However without

a working locomotive I can't do the final proof testing.

While it's difficult to throw stones at Hornby, they didn't use contaminated

materials by choice, but with current 9F products they should make spares

available. I have no reason to think they have changed the design as those

earlier products were fine - Until !!

Geoff T.

Hi everyone,

I would just like to comment on the mention 'However it'll probably be a waste of time as they pass all spares responsibility on to Peters Spares.'

This is incorrect information. Hornby supply a spares list to any and all shops that wish to purchase some. If they are available or available to order parts can be purchased by anyone. We DO NOT get all the spares passed to us. Thanks Peter Corbitt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

I have purchased obscure spares direct from Hornby on occasions (ie not the normal consumables). A polite email, also stating that used spares are acceptable, has always got results for me.

For instance, my early class 30 suffered from mazak failure of the chassis. At the time, they were able to supply a replacement. But during the rebuild (which I did over quite a long period) I lost parts, such as the side grilles in the body. On each occasion that I asked, they robbed parts off a returned loco that they were cannibalising. Maybe the wrong colour for me, but I soon repainted them.

Stewart

• Like 2

On 13/09/2020 at 22:41, tyl59 said:

Has anyone had issues with the newest Hornby Class 31 D5509 (R3661) noticed a very fine Mazak style crack appear on mine. Have removed the body from the chassis to stop it increasing. I’m happy to be proven wrong on this.

9D863823-742F-4491-A3E2-F4186756CC0C.jpeg

That's a bit of a concern! I hope you have informed Hornby of this problem as it looks similar to the original problem with this model. Has the chassis got a problem in this area?

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

That's a bit of a concern! I hope you have informed Hornby of this problem as it looks similar to the original problem with this model. Has the chassis got a problem in this area?

I haven’t informed Hornby yet as I wanted to check this first. I’ll contact them later today on this though.

there seems to be no issue with the chassis everything looks in shape and intact

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think its a weak spot in the design of the 31 chassis.

the chassis is very fine from the tanks to the buffer beam, but the cab floors are quite chunky with the lighting and coupling fittings concealed and screwed down

Ive found it very easy to bend a 31 chassis when refitting a body, or a body being tightly to fit... and thats without mazak issues.

The railroad 31 frame I find has more strength, even though its plastic, as its an “L” shape, and theres no weight under the cab, its hollow not solid.

Thats my thoughts anyway. From a design perspective, I think Triang / Airfix got it right.. the bufferbeam is part of the body, not the chassis. Though if I designed a 31, i’d make the whole cab, buffer assembly a separate piece, including Internally the outer edge bogie mountings, and hold it to the main body with a grove that the main body slides and holds into,  it still allows the main body to screw to the main chassis as now and keep its integrity... similar to how the SECR H class firebox/tanks/boiler assembly is made.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Folks,

Yet another polite reminder - please keep posts here to just detailing the occurrence and symptoms in the format as outlined in post #1.

There are other discussion threads already running in respect of many individual models and if there isn't feel free to start one :)

I will hide other posts.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DLPG said:

My Hornby L1 has fallen victim. Wheels have jammed up on the front and rear bogies. Are they offering replacements?

R number please?

Contact Hornby about replacement, best get it from the horses mouth as it were.

• Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 10:26, pauln said:

Another one to add. Some of the Merchant Navy locos are on the list already but I have just found my United States Lines 35012 from the Orient Express set has the bogie rot issue - just fell apart in my hands. I don't think the loco has a catalogue number but the box set is R1038.

An update. A photo below of the affected part from the Merchant Navy US Lines. I contacted Hornby in May asking about replacements. They replied they were waiting for stock and after a few chases I got confirmation that they are back in stock now and 2 replacement bogies arrived just before Christmas. 

IMG_0860a.jpg

Edited by pauln
tidy up post
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pauln said:

An update. A photo below of the affected part from the Merchant Navy US Lines. I contacted Hornby in May asking about replacements. They replied they were waiting for stock and after a few chases I got confirmation that they are back in stock now and 2 replacement bogies arrived just before Christmas. 

IMG_0860a.jpg

R1038 according to Ramseys

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Airfix Railway System/ GMR.

GWR 14XX 0-4-2 tank locomotive.

Chassis swelling and breaking.

Old  chassis received in a lot of stuff from EBay.

A repair has been attempted at some point using brass “fishplates “.

EB394425-287E-4D3E-9597-5759F9232697.jpeg.473982e0bc54d8e3ebc30112a949c06c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1