Air brake tanks on A1X Terrier locos

FelixM

Hi all,

does someone know where the main reservoir tanks of the Westinghouse brake are located on A1X Terriers? A friend of mine is building a 7mm model of GWR No. 5 Portishead and would like to know where these should be sited and to which orientation, if at all visible. I am passing the question on his behalf.

His model:

29515629dw.jpg

29515626cu.jpg

Thanks in advance

Felix

• Like 1

Hello,

on prototype photos of Weston, Clevedon , Portishead Railway both types of brakes are fitted( (at least at some) and the photos here should show the condition of A1X shortly after having been purchased by GWR.

Regards

Bernd

Hello,

on prototype photos of Weston, Clevedon , Portishead Railway both types of brakes are fitted( (at least at some) and the photos here should show the condition of A1X shortly after having been purchased by GWR.

Regards

Bernd

I`ve added a photo (Coyright only A. Vaughan) taken 1931 with kind permission of A.V:

29538062ep.jpg

According to the drawings in Tom Middlemass's book "Stroudley and his Terriers", in LBSCR ownership, the air reservoir was mounted between the frames on the right hand side below the cab, behind the rear wheel and in front of the brake cylinder. Not very visible from outside.

Not seen any positive evidence that Portishead carried an air brake pump when owned by the GWR. No positive evidence she didn't, either!

Edited to add: Just checked up on the other WCPR Terrier GWR No.6 (ex Ashtead) and she was certainly carrying an air pump in GWR livery, so No.5 probably did as well.

Edited by eastglosmog

According to the drawings in Tom Middlemass's book "Stroudley and his Terriers", in LBSCR ownership, the air reservoir was mounted between the frames on the right hand side below the cab, behind the rear wheel and in front of the brake cylinder. Not very visible from outside.

Not seen any positive evidence that Portishead carried an air brake pump when owned by the GWR. No positive evidence she didn't, either!

Edited to add: Just checked up on the other WCPR Terrier GWR No.6 (ex Ashtead) and she was certainly carrying an air pump in GWR livery, so No.5 probably did as well.

Thank you a lot for your reply! It helps me, as, because of lacking clear visibility, it  doesn`t seem to have been such a big mistake not to have modelled the air reservoir boiler! And very helpful, too, your statement concerning air brakes in GWR livery!!!

• RMweb Gold

I guess the air brake would have been a leftover from these locos' days on the LBSC? The GWR was certainly a vac-only railway, and I assume the W, C & P was too - or was it? Maybe it used air brakes?

My view is that it would have been too much trouble to change the loco brake from air to steam, then replace the air/vac valves with vac/steam valves. the locos were air-braked.

The KESR locos are air braked with vac brake for the trains.  

The  air  receiver  is  under  the  left  hand  side  of the  cab  between  the  frames,  the  originals  had  a  cut  out  to  fit  over  the  brake  cross-shaft,  W8  on  the  Isle  of  Wight  Steam  Railway  still  carries  one.

The  air  brake  cylinder  is  under  the  right  hand / middle  side  of  the  cab  floor.

More  modern  air  receivers  are  smaller  (cut  out  not  allowed  on  a  modern  pressure  vessel)  hence  need  extra  receivers  to  make  the  volume  up,  these  may  be  under the  running  plate  at the  rear.

No  equalising  reservoir  as  built  but  some  have  had  these  (and  a  valve)  added  recently.

Pete

The  air  receiver  is  under  the  left  hand  side  of the  cab  between  the  frames, 

Are you sure that applied to all Terriers, Pete? I ask because the General Arrangement drawing in Tom Middlemass's book definitely shows the air reservoir on the right hand side, in front of the brake cylinder.  Just how typical of Terriers are the back end of W8's frames? After all, she had the Westinghouse brake and pump removed and was converted to vacuum by the LSWR in 1903 and only reconverted back to Westinghouse by the Southern in 1924. It also had motor train gear fitted by the Southern in 1927 rather than in 1908 by the LBSC as was the case with Portishead - the fittings may well have differed.  From what is shown on the GA drawing, I believe the large reservoir required for the motor gear was fitted under the footplate on the left hand side.  Mind you, for all I know, the air brake reservoir could have been moved over to accommodate the motor gear reservoir!  However, as far as Portishead is concerned, if that was the case, the air reservoir would still have been on the right hand side in front of the brake cylinder when owned by the WCPR and passed to the GWR.

This  air  receiver  actually  came  from  W11  but  was  used  on  8  as  that  one  was  the  first  restored.

I  have   not  seen  the  Tom  Middlemas  book  but  any  air  receiver  on  the  right  hand side  in  front  of  the  brake  cylinder  would  be  very  small  and  inadequate  in  size  as  the  Main  Reservoir.

W11  had  been  air  fitted  by  the  Brighton  and  has  remained  so  throughout  its  working  life.

This  receiver  is  of  iron  rivetted  construction  and  certainly  of  some  age,  it  is still  sound  and  passes  a  hydraulic  test  though  its  method  of  construction  cannot  be  copied  for  new.

In  addition  to  the  Main  Res  (which  stores  the  air  supply)  there  will  be  a  much  smaller  auxillary  reservoir,  this  is  fed  from  the  Main  Res  and  supplies  the  air  to   activate  the  brake  cylinder  via  the  Triple  Valve,  this  may  well  be  the  one  on  the  right  hand  side.

For  a  motor  fitted  air  braked  loco  the  control  air  supply  is  taken  from  the  Main  Res,  There  is  no  seperate  large  receiver.

Obviously  a  vacum  braked  loco  would  need  a  storage  receiver  for  control  air   but this  would  be  smaller than  a  Main  Res

I  believe  a small  additional  reservoir  is  also  needed  as  part  of  the  control  system.

Pete

Further  to  above

Just  been  checking  some  photos.

A  picture  of  W11  as  no   40  Brighton  taken  in  1878  just  after  the  Paris  Exhibition  clearly  shows  the  Main  Reservoir  visible  under  the  cab,  back  end  roughly  in  line  with  the  cab  backsheet.  Not  clear which  side  this  is  on  but  must  be  the  left  as  it  occupies  the  space  the  brake  cylinder  uses  on  the  right.

Other  terrier  photos  show  similar  (when  anything  can  be  seen  at  all),  I  am  99%  sure  this  is  the  "Standard"  fit  but  as  you  well  know  certainly  by  later  years there was  little  standard  about  any  of  the  Terriers.

Pete

• 1 month later...

eastglosmog's post of 19 June 2017 - 18:19 says "Not seen any positive evidence that Portishead carried an air brake pump when owned by the GWR. No positive evidence she didn't, either!".

I attach two photos of WC&PR Terrier No 2 'Portishead' in GWR days.

First the GWR photo of the locomotive in Clevedon WC&PR shed on 18 September 1940 upon return from refurbishment at Swindon with air pump and then Real Photographs photo of the locomotive in BR days down Newton Abbot way with GWR shed code 'TN': Taunton without air pump.

Take your pick / choose your period, noting also the condensing pipes &c!

post-19274-0-66182800-1501444442_thumb.jpg

post-19274-0-65641600-1501444478_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Slightly OT, but in regards to usage of brakes, am I right in remembering from when I drove 662 that the air brake was loco only, while the vacuum brake was train only?

Yes

When  Terriers  were  vacuum  fitted  in  SR  days  they  retained  the  air  brake  on  the  loco  (actually  dual  fitted  although  air  not  normally  required  for  train  working)

Early  conversions  for  example  LSWR  purchases  lost  the  air  brake  completely  and  were  vacuum  only,  loco  brake  likely  being  steam  there  being  little  space  to  fit  a  vacuum  brake  cylinder.

Pete

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...