Motor replacement

• RMweb Premium

I have a scratch built 28xx (OO) chassis which runs quite well, I have built the body etc to fit it. I inherited the chassis and it has an old Portescap motor in situ, however it is very noisy. I would like to replace the motor with a more modern can motor but wish to retain the gears etc. I need a motor of not more than 3cm long with a 1.5mm shaft that protrudes approx. 1cm from the motor body can anyone recommend a good source of motors I could contact?

I cannot imagine why a Portescap motor would be noisy, unless it is the gears, but you say you want to keep those. Perhaps it is the controller you are using. I believe Portescaps like smooth DC not feedback or half-wave types.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps, the first gears crown & pinion are nylon, I did wonder if this may be the problem., I could grease them heavily or get brass replacements....what do you think?

Edited by 7013

• RMweb Premium

There are some downloadable instructions on the scalefour society website for getting escsp gearboxes to be quiet. The nylon gears should be a lot quieter than brass ones.

Do the gears have a pink "gunk" on them? That may well be the problem..

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Barry, very useful, I will give it a go over the next few days, I may substitute the Eucryl for a more modern toothpaste that is abrasive.

• RMweb Premium

Follow up to my previous postings. The Portescap motor is very poorly and I think has run its course. So I have decided to bite the bullet and replace the whole gearbox and motor assembly for something a bit more modern. I am looking for recomendations for a good suppler of motor/gearbox assemblies who would be able to help me make the right choice and give me advice i.e. not just sell me a replacement. Given that its a 28xx the loco is not going to be running very fast but would need a bit of grunt. With a more modern and hopefully smaller gearbox and motor I would be able to add a bit more weight too.

Big ask but would appreciate any guidance.

Alternatively contact Branchlines (01373 82 22 31, sales@branchlines.com) and ask for their Motors,Gears and Motor Bogies catalogue.  It is pretty comprehensive with dimensions and diagrams.  I have used their Multi-box 2 stage gearbox on a North London tank.  It has four options for the position of the axle relative to the idler.  One directly underneath like a Portescap, one to the rear (under the motor) and two to the front.

No commercial interest, just a satisfied customer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Phoned Chris at High Level, what a helpful chap he is, took the time to make sure I got the right motor gearbox combination. Excellent service.

• Like 1